Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

See I don't think we were riding our luck at all. We defended heroically and they were looking pretty desperate by the end. The only way they were scoring was if VAR intervened, and that's how it happened. Ruined one of the greatest nights of football for me in recent memory.

We were tbh. We defended well yes, but there was also horrible finishing. Barcola had 2-3 great chances, Mbappe had 2-3 great chances. 

Right in the end it looked like we would hold on, and yea VAR decision was turd. Even Gordon tripping Hakimi was more of a penalty, and that would have been super cheap.

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

We were tbh. We defended well yes, but there was also horrible finishing. Barcola had 2-3 great chances, Mbappe had 2-3 great chances. 

Right in the end it looked like we would hold on, and yea VAR decision was turd. Even Gordon tripping Hakimi was more of a penalty, and that would have been super cheap.

Yeah, I think so too.  If you’re relying on the opposition missing chances you’d expect them to score nine times out of ten you’re riding your luck - you’re not shutting them out.  Christ knows where our lads found those energy reserves from to chase as hard as they did for so long - but we also couldn’t have complained if the scoreline was a big PSG win.  In that context, a draw there is an incredible result - though it is a pisser the way we conceded. 

I’m not as angry re the result as I might have been otherwise - it felt like an equaliser was coming for half an hour.  I think I’d sort of accepted it. 

2 years ago Newcastle were not even on the lips of Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea fans lips, we were a northern outpost who most teams in the PL looked at as 6 guaranteed points every year & shower us with platitudes post game & a polite pat on the head, now were rampaging through these teams the biggest compliment those same fans / clubs can pay us is to delight in horrendous (dare I say corrupt) decisions going against us in arguably the biggest club cup competition in world football.

Absolutely & completely sumptuous in my eyes to wake up to these kind of idiots revelling in what will in time prove to be irrelevant decisions as this is all a learning curve for us on the way to dominating football in the UK / Europe, I totally revel in the position were in, the burgeoning young talent developing through our ranks, the assured hands on the tiller, the absolute polar opposite of feelings about the club in 2 years are still hard to comprehend for me (Bruce - Eddie) X (Fat cunt - Amanda) I think were all aware we are on the cusp of greatness & I for one am delighted to savour the rise to the top as much as I will devour the winning of cups / leagues in the near future.

59 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This PSG team is light years away from winning a Champions League.

Totally agree.

With the money they’ve spent and the entitlement of the club in general, I’m glad they’re nowhere near.

Fucking plastic club from top to bottom.

I know I state our armosphere etc at times, but fuck me, PSG are plastic as fuck.

Light shows, drums, some gimp on the mic shouting on to force an atmosphere and even horrendous goal music

Utter shit.

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I know I state our armosphere etc at times, but fuck me, PSG are plastic as fuck.

Light shows, drums, some gimp on the mic shouting on to force an atmosphere and even horrendous goal music

Utter shit.

Same as Dortmund then.

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The Arsenal fans will be more gutted when they seen the calm and dignity Howe spoke with. 

The difference between a manger who is going to be great and one who will always be barely a Pep light.

They are already all over social media saying he’s said the same thing as Arteta whilst using the footage of him not doing that.

It’s Arsenal, they will write history how they like it.

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Utter shit.

Organised fun shite to me.  Saw plenty of positive comments, which makes me think that I don’t understand modern football at all.  

We played one of Europe's elite teams away from home we created and scored they created and didn't tough titties, we had no options off the bench to rest legs or change the momentum of the game They did. it was always gonna be backs to the wall stuff as we started to tire and it took a scandalous decision to change that. The ref didn't give it so why did the var feel the need to send him to the monitor when they had all the angles to see it was chest to arm. 

Just now, andycap said:

We played one of Europe's elite teams away from home we created and scored they created and didn't tough titties, we had no options off the bench to rest legs or change the momentum of the game They did. it was always gonna be backs to the wall stuff as we started to tire and it took a scandalous decision to change that. The ref didn't give it so why did the var feel the need to send him to the monitor when they had all the angles to see it was chest to arm. 

I honestly think that the VAR checks make some things worse - particularly handballs.  They need to be watched in real time, not slowed down - every handball claim looks more valid in slow motion 

It's the point where he looks at it and they show one angle. Yet the opposite angle shows it in more detail that's what makes it feel corrupt. Plus what was the craic with the replays it took an age to see the incident back aswell as the skriniar handball in the first half. By the time we seen the replay there was no way a ref could call play back. 

I generally quite enjoy Jonathan Liew’s sport takes but he’s clearly just decided to go for something that he knows will provoke a reaction. A lot of his writing is like that but often founded on a truth. Acting like we weren’t robbed yesterday to try and inflame our fans is a very weird line to take from a sports fan 

Edited by gbandit

Thing i hate most is the first thing the ref sees on the screen is a still of ball hitting the hand/arm, or a touch/brush against the player.

The stills are the worst picture of all, and they do that in the Premier League as well, it already sets a seed there's been a foul/offence.

Stolen a win from us that would go down in the ages. Stolen a double over PSG. Fucking disgusting man. I’m all for referees being given leniency in decisions they make but that was the worst handball decision ever given against us in the VAR era and possibly the worst handball decision of the VAR era. It’s not even remotely debatable as is clear from everyone who’s responded to it online and in the media. 

Not really sure what else to say. This has enormous financial implications for us as a club and we’ve essentially been financially robbed as well as the points, the prestige, the memories

Saw the back pages round up (repeated from last night) on Sky Sports News this morning, and even that Miguel Delaney was saying how bad a decision it was, and heow we were robbed of a result. Though he did still manage to slip in a 'regardless of their ownership'.

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I generally quite enjoy Jonathan Lore’s sport takes but he’s clearly just decided to go for something that he knows will provoke a reaction. A lot of his writing is like that but often founded on a truth. Acting like we weren’t robbed yesterday to try and inflame our fans is a very weird line to take from a sports fan 

Personally, Liew is one of those hacks who irritates me - it irritated me when the Grauniad hired him.  He’s always had an issue with us. 

I'm still fuming like. VAR has ruined the sport but it's not the technology, it's the incompetency of the officials.

If you go over to the monitor, you have to change the decision. When was the last time we seen a ref go to the monitor for a look and keep their decision? Barely ever. You're going for a closer look, you should really be using it to affirm your decision about 25% of the time. If every time you go to the monitor, it's overturned, then what in the fuck is the point in bothering with that process at all?

Not to mention, the rules and guidelines being clear as mud. 

It really shouldn't be this hard. It's pathetic.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Personally, Liew is one of those hacks who irritates me - it irritated me when the Grauniad hired him.  He’s always had an issue with us. 

Hadn’t even realised I’d been autocorrected on his name. He definitely has an issue with us but so do most journalists on the “left” in football. I say that as I think most left wing sports journalism is a puddle of hypocrisy 

I still can't feel anything other than pure joy that we're actually in the Champions League, getting results against elite sides.

Next time we're in this competition we'll be far better equipped to handle the entire campaign as oppose to just putting in one or two good performances with squads filled by academy kids who'll end up in L1 / L2 if they're lucky.