Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (07/12/23)

Mike

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

I said "Just feels a bit like we blame almost every loss on fatigue right now."

You see the "right now"? As in the latest losses. You missed the point.

Right now we're suffering from fatigue. So that's a shite point.

8 hours ago, jack j said:

Hopefully it's not though. I'd rather be in 3 cups in February and put the league on the back burner. Sure we'll pick up points along the way with a bigger squad anyway..

Mentioned it in the EH thread but for me (across the full season) I'd prefer to probably finish 4th in the CL and really prioritise the League Cup, an FA Cup run and 4th place. Given our injuries I think that's more achievable.

Get CL a second year in a row and Cup wins etc. Will come in time.

Edited by Heron

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Okay. So it's impossible that we don't play as good as we can with the energy that we have available?

We are playing to our maximum effort. You cannot give more than maximum effort.

Could the players give better quality? Yes, in moments, but are they more likely to give more quality if they're less fatigued? Yes.

Edited by Heron

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We were 2-1 up against Wolves and getting Ranthrough time and again. Neto had Burn on toast.  At that point we needed to bring on Livra and Howe did not. 

There’s things we could and should be doing better. Overall I expected us to fall back this season because of the extra games and the likelihood of more injuries and the fact our squad is a bit thin.  Some regression is expected. But overall - we should be doing a little better away from home. If I know Howe as a manager at all, he won’t find this away form acceptable or excusable because of injuries and fatigue. The performances and results have been bad. 

Beyond that Livra sub what else, what could we have done since then with what we've had ? And even then I'd guess most managers would go for tactical changes with personnel they know they can trust and have been able to do it as opposed to changing personnel.

Edited by madras

9 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I said "Just feels a bit like we blame almost every loss on fatigue right now."

You see the "right now"? As in the latest losses, like Dortmund, Bournemouth, Everton.

It is a big factor though, probably the biggest.

Ah man. I missed the game but I saw how it was even until the 79th minute or whatever it was. Seems like it was the f-word (fatigue), if not physically then mentally with how poor some of those goals were to concede. I appreciate how Eddie was dignified in defeat, looked genuinely gutted and you get the feeling he will somehow rewatch this game five times or something between now and the Spurs game.

Howe said it himself on NUFCTV that we'd had a decent break since Man U. You really expect us to come out and try kill the game in the first 60 but it's easier said than done. Fatigue is a fair excuse today from 70 mins on.

I wonder if we're struggling more with the mentality of our current situation at the moment. We've had so many 'big games' to mentally prepare for over the last few months, I wonder if the 'lesser' matches are proving tricky to be as up for and deliver max work off the ball.

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Howe said it himself on NUFCTV that we'd had a decent break since Man U. You really expect us to come out and try kill the game in the first 60 but it's easier said than done. Fatigue is a fair excuse today from 70 mins on.

I wonder if we're struggling more with the mentality of our current situation at the moment. We've had so many 'big games' to mentally prepare for over the last few months, I wonder if the 'lesser' matches are proving tricky to be as up for and deliver max work off the ball.

Hopefully we'll have one or two more bodies for the 'lesser' matches, even for changes from the bench

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Don't really remember Dortmund widely being blamed on fatigue either, it's Bournemouth and tonight, because they looked knackered in both games. It's not complex or owt.

4c85f682ba281627fccb93640002a5a5.thumb.png.d6caa20f2cf2b70d152b0c6d1cf0328f.png

I looked it up. Against Dortmund 10 different users were saying "tired" and 6 different users were saying "fatigue". Does fatigue also explain that 1st half today?

Edited by Erikse

25 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Does fatigue also explain that 1st half today?

It does for me. 

But even then, we didn't look much, if any, worse than them. 

They tried to batter us when they came out and done nothing. 

We looked tired all game imo. 

Edited by Wilson

Think we can write this season off now. Get a few bodies back and finish in the top half.

need a lot bigger squad of players. And hopefully less injuries in the future.

Be a lot easier next season out of Europe. we can then build the team for the future.

Howay the lads.

6 hours ago, Erikse said:

I looked it up. Against Dortmund 10 different users were saying "tired" and 6 different users were saying "fatigue". Does fatigue also explain that 1st half today?

A huge part of our play when we are playing good is the intensity we bring. It looks like that wasnt the game plan today, simply because the players dont have the energy for it 90 mins twice a week. Even without the intensity we are used to the players looked knackered at the end.

Without the intensity we are far from being a top level team. 

Of course fatigue is an important factor. We could and should have brought fresh legs to midfield and in place of Almiron. If you can't change anything you are predictable in long term.

These players are giving everything and I have no reason to blame them. Bringing Hall in place of Trippier might give you fresh legs but it also weakens your team in defence and attack. I understand why Howe is not using subs, because Ritchie and Krafth bring nothing to the game

9 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Of course fatigue is an important factor. We could and should have brought fresh legs to midfield and in place of Almiron. If you can't change anything you are predictable in long term.

These players are giving everything and I have no reason to blame them. Bringing Hall in place of Trippier might give you fresh legs but it also weakens your team in defence and attack. I understand why Howe is not using subs, because Ritchie and Krafth bring nothing to the game

Yeah it’s a really tough balancing act, bring players in but the team becomes so weak that you are almost nailed on to lose. I was surprised Hall didn’t get in at all last night to be fair. 

I felt we might hold on for a 0-0 or one team might sneak it due to a mistake. The way we conceded and then fell apart has all the hallmarks of a team completely on its arse. I’m not absolving them of any blame but if you look back at the games we’ve had and big big games with minimal squad options, results like last night will always be possible. I thought our attacking play was poor in the main but Isak looks completely shagged too.

I mean howay look at the players out, like a possible full starting 11 eleven, key players. With even a modicum of a bench we probably win that last night and would normally batter that side which we’ll do at home. 

Shit result compounded by the fact it’s to those cunts but hey ho this stretch was always going to be really tough with the situation we’re in.

7 hours ago, Erikse said:

On a forum with thousands of members and in a thread with hundreds of posts, not really like.

Fatigue does explain last night yeah. If they look tired, which to me it's obvious that they did, then they're obviously tired. No idea why there's any need to dig any deeper than what your eyes should be clearly showing you. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

On a forum with thousands of members and in a thread with hundreds of posts, not really like.

Fatigue does explain last night yeah. If they look tired, which to me it's obvious that they did, then they're obviously tired. No idea why there's any need to dig any deeper than that.

Yeah i dont get that either, people really dont see how tired we are at the end of games? Its super obvious.

Guest reefatoon
6 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Think we can write this season off now. Get a few bodies back and finish in the top half.

need a lot bigger squad of players. And hopefully less injuries in the future.

Be a lot easier next season out of Europe. we can then build the team for the future.

Howay the lads.

[emoji38] write the season off. We are 4 points from 4th placed Man City and still in all the cups man. [emoji38]