Tottenham Hotspur 4-1 Newcastle United (10/12/23)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

Raging about that Romero challenge. Wilson lucky to walk away unscathed.

Should be a 4 match ban which would completely fuck Spurs.

Will be glossed over by the Spurs loving media.

Yip. The right foot challenge was a red on its own, to then go with left showed is was malicious and not poor timing or whatever.

Just now, BullyDogs said:

As much as I love Eddie Howe for what he's done for the club and galvanised the team etc I've always believed that he won't be the guy that wins the 1st trophy. The ownership want to dominate and sadly Howe is not as ruthless or as tactically adept as the likes of Klopp,Guardiola,Ancelotti,Tuchel etc and that is the kind of coach you need to become elite

I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong and Howe be the guy who can stay for years create a dynasty and dominate with us bit sadly I don't think I will be

The ownership can’t be realistically expecting any type of dominance at the moment - the squad is still in transition from perennial relegation strugglers.  We’re five to eight players away from being genuinely competitive at the top end.  Today we were starting with five Bruce-era players - and another three came on as subs. Time is still required to get the squad up to scratch, I reckon. 

What I can’t say is how patient the ownership is, of course (and by that I mean PIF).  No idea what their thinking is. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

The ownership can’t be realistically expecting any type of dominance at the moment - the squad is still in transition from perennial relegation strugglers.  We’re five to eight players away from being genuinely competitive at the top end.  Today we were starting with five Bruce-era players - and another three came on as subs. Time is still required to get the squad up to scratch, I reckon. 

What I can’t say is how patient the ownership is, of course (and by that I mean PIF).  No idea what their thinking is. 

If we haven't won a trophy in 5 years I think they will be very disappointed

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

I dont know. Dont get payed millions in the football world. But I can see we have issues away from home, and the midfield was struggling today.

So the manager at fault? Or the players?

Tonali, Longstaff and Willock would have been useful.

i think we’re massively missing Botman (and probably Burn) for away games.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It will make the second half of the season all the sweeter.

I hope so [emoji38] 

Seems like its going to be a mad season, table is kinda packed. 

Just now, Mikky said:

These fixtures are poor aswell 

can’t have half the league with 2 home games then the other half 2 away games 

Didn't even pick up on that, but aye. 

Edited by OCK

It’s really only in the last two games we’ve looked truly knackered. Before that I don’t think there was any argument that we needed to change style, start parking the bus, play for draws and all that. We’ve just run out of road with two tough away games. 

Just now, BullyDogs said:

If we haven't won a trophy in 5 years I think they will be very disappointed

Sp why judge Howe on what he's dealing with at the moment? Ridiculous to expect him to do anything but tread water with what he's got. I don't even blame the club, we're severely shackled by FFP. Let him grow with the club and prove what he can do, judge him when he has all the tools he needs at his disposal to win something not when the players are at their lowest ebb.

Not blaming Howe* or club leadership for our intense playstyle or lack of bodies respectively - this is just how it's shaken out. Especially for a club (trying to be) competitive on multiple fronts when the quality in depth wasn't truly there.

My worry is it's absolutely possible to get worse before the new year.

* - we can argue about marginal things - trippier coming off a little sooner, longstaff on earlier in this game or that, etc etc, but it's all speculation. We're at where we're at.

Edited by thomas

Just now, Shearergol said:

So the manager at fault? Or the players?

Tonali, Longstaff and Willock would have been useful.

i think we’re massively missing Botman (and probably Burn) for away games.

I dont think the manager is at fault because im sure thats not the way he wants to play. He was disappointed after the Everton game. Willock, Tonali and Longstaff would have been handy, but at the same time the away play have had the same pattern for some time now.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

Sp why judge Howe on what he's dealing with at the moment? Ridiculous to expect him to do anything but tread water with what he's got. I don't even blame the club, we're severely shackled by FFP. Let him grow with the club and prove what he can do, judge him when he has all the tools he needs at his disposal to win something not when the players are at their lowest ebb.

Lose the Sunderland game and he may never recover from that 

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

I dont think the manager is at fault because im sure thats not the way he wants to play. He was disappointed after the Everton game. Willock, Tonali and Longstaff would have been handy, but at the same time the away play have had the same pattern for some time now.

Surely Howe is ultimately responsible for how the players are playing away?

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s really only in the last two games we’ve looked truly knackered. Before that I don’t think there was any argument that we needed to change style, start parking the bus, play for draws and all that. We’ve just run out of road with two tough away games. 

It felt kind of inevitable that we’d suffer when you consider how much effort was expended against Chelsea, PSG and Man United. In the modern game you can’t play the same XI with virtually no subs five times in three weeks and not see a drop off in performance.

In hindsight Howe probably should’ve rotated against Everton - chuck in the kids and Ritchie, Dummett etc and take it as an L - but can you imagine the reaction? 

I don't think it's anyone's fault in particular. We hit Europe way before we were actually ready, not enough depth of quality in the squad, then add in the absolutely horrendous injuries - to be honest, we're where I'd expect with everything going on. Of course 3-0 against the scouse mackems and 4-1 against Spurs hurts, but they've managed to catch us at the most opportune moment for them to get something from us. If we didn't have all the injuries and we could rotate the first team we'd have a fighting chance, but we don't, simple as that.

It’s definitely easy to focus in on certain players, but as a team they all have to take accountability. 

We don’t know what’s going on or being said in the dressing room, but knowing how we aim to play you can definitely say it’s down to the players.

We’ve obviously ‘desperately’ needed players back and psychologically as well as physically it has shown, certainly in the last two games. 

We need a lift Wednesday and it would be a huge one if things were to go our way, but with players back too, we can re-group and get back to playing our best football.