Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

Completely mixed emotions after that. I love this team and manager so much it's hard to have anything other than pride. 

The injuries is the sickner for me. We've been completely hamstrung for large parts of the season and shafted with draws in domestic & European competitions. We've still performed admirably and took it to the last game. The players, Eddie and the Club will have learned a load through this. 

It's a shame to be out of Europe but it's also a good stock taking opportunity. 

We are very much a club in transistion. Look at the quality of players that have been brought in since the takeover. 

Isak, Bruno, Livramento, Hall, Gordon, Pope, Tonali, Minteh, Botman - All good enough (maybe not right now but in terms of ability) to make an impact at this level.  I haven't included Trippier because he is a player for the transistion not the future. 

Of the pre-takeover players i'd suggest it's only Joelinton who is capable of making an impact at this level going forwards and even then he blows hot and cold. 

It will take a few more windows to move away from the pre-takeover players, but you can really see the foundation is starting to shape very nicely. 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

[emoji38] what a clown. Probably as bad faith a summation of the situation as anyone could possibly pull out of their arse

He’s a sinister Alice banded shit with an anti Saudi agenda. We may be the richest club but it’s a pointless moniker when you can’t spend it.

13 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

He’s a sinister Alice banded shit with an anti Saudi agenda. We may be the richest club but it’s a pointless moniker when you can’t spend it.

We aren't the richest. We have the richest owners but that's not NUFCs money.

The way the balance of the game changed after they scored is frustrating, but sounds like those subs were enforced changes which is typical of the way things are going at the moment.

Someone mentioned that goal seemed to suck the life out of the crowd. If so, with still everything to play for at 1-1, it doesn't bode well for atmosphere against Fulham, which is far less glamorous but at the same time a crucial game to stay in the mix for top 6. 

The players will be feeling demoralised so think the crowd will really need to get behind them all the way on Saturday. 

Hopefully a win will regain some momentum for Chelsea cup tie. Not worth thinking about the reaction if it's another defeat! 

Edited by Ginola14

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Find it mad how many people think we should have settled for a point instead of going all out for the win. Genuinely amazed by it actually.

It's not about settling for a point though. If the squad is shattered from a succession of games and no rotation, then it's probably easier to make the pitch a bit smaller by staying compact and not chasing the game when you are ahead. When you have a strong bench then you can bring on fresh players when the starting 11 starts to run out of steam.

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Ffs made me waste 5 minutes of my precious morning going back 8 pages 😂😂😂

I was over it instantly. The match, I mean, not that exchange 😉

Absolutely gutted we had it in our grasp but this adventure has arrived before we're ready and it'll be a very steep learning curve. 

Besides the Xmas schedule means we HAVE to get straight back on the ride and push on. 

If I have any anger towards anyone over our CL demise it's at our £55m fruit machine who sat and watched his boyhood club progress on. 

It'll pass tho, now I've typed it 😂😂😂😂

58 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

4 fans in front of us basically tik tokers.  One had a KSA shirt on, and we're constantly on their phones and moving out of seats all the game.

Not enough :anguish:

Unlimited memberships and equal chance on a ballot with no hierarchy allows this 

4 minutes ago, Wullie said:

The thing that annoys me most the day after is neither Bruno nor Isak taking a yellow to stop Jovic. Just bizarre.

Our decision making was iffy throughout the second half really. Opens the door to the (mental) fatigue debate again because prior to this spell we never hesitated in engaging in proper nasty shithousery, let alone bog standard cynical yellows.

It was probably a lack of communication; both of them probably thought the other one was gonna do it and a microsecond later, Jovic is away. 

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Just had a look on RAWK forum to this - the last few pages - Jesus wept - mental

Presumably they're saying they were robbed of their right to CL football and would have easily qualified from this group 🙄 

Imagine there's also a lot of virtue signalling from such a morally superior fanbase.

55 minutes ago, Paully said:

Just had a look on RAWK forum to this - the last few pages - Jesus wept - mental

Probably the last place anyone should choose to look today. 

Second last is anything by Oliver Holt or the Guardian (full of Liverpool glory hunters, writers included, on trigger alert to gloat at NUFC).

7 hours ago, Tsunami said:

These stats that are being thrown around are never taken in the context of the match situation.

Milan away - a bit of a settler, 1st game back, Milan didn’t really threaten.

PSG - battered them

Dortmund - struggled in the 1st 20 mins,  Wilson missed a sitter, wood work hit twice.

Dortmund - poor performance, Big Jo missed a sitter at 1-0.

PSG - led, PSG didn’t really threaten, had loads of shots, mostly from 25 yards and not on target. Robbed.

Milan - Dubs, 2 soft goals, hit the bar at 1-1. Milan hit the post twice late on as we push on. 

The big moments didn’t go our way, and our big moments were earlier in games than they were for the opposition. As an aside I thought the referee was harsh again on us last night. No individual decision led directly to anything but it can have an accumulative effect.

The stats don’t tell the full story.

Some wild takes here. Good against PSG home. Even match against Dortmund home. Good against Milan first half. The rest we didnt play well.