Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Just now, Stifler said:

Surely though that would have been a 2nd red, as they could have been down to 10 men straight from kick off.

I mean in a cup quarter final would be alot of pressure on the ref if a player gets sent off immediately. Not saying it's right but I imagine the standard to get a red early has to be very high in the ref's mind.

Edited by McDog

One thing nobody can really argue about in regards VAR, is that it is a massive positive for player safety. 

Remember Tranmere last season? And tonight. Krafth certainly will for one.

Edited by Sean

We’re pretty organized today which is a step up from the last few away games. It’s clear that a lot of the players are knackered but we’re soldiering on like troopers so far. Tripps and BDB on for Krafth and AG10 early in the second half I’d think. Tino up to LW. Then bring Hall/Ritchie on for Miggy after 65-70 mins and Tino goes over to RW. Only question is how we handle Wilson. 

Gone into PSG away mode since the goal - feel when the momentum's against us we don't ever seem to be able to take charge of the ball and wrestle control of the game.

It's felt like a goal's coming. Hopefully we're pacing ourselves a bit and can see it out.

We're getting dominated physically all over the pitch. Looking at the bench, I don't know what Eddie can do to change that.

I think we've just got to hope that our goal continues to lead a charmed life and / or we nick something on the break. Not much chance of either, but the latter is a bit more likely.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Yeah but the argument would still be that he’s missed two potential red cards.

Not if the 2nd doesn't happen because the game state has changed because the 1st one is given. In reality though he's missed a definite red and a potential one.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, McDog said:

I mean in a cup quarter final would be alot of pressure on the ref if a player gets sent off immediately. Not saying it's right but I imagine the standard to get a red early has to be very high in the ref's mind.

Shouldn’t be any different in all honesty 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He wasn't :lol: He was asking what Caicedo was playing at doing that after only 2 minutes 

It wasn't obvious which way Redknapp was leaning on that issue and as he's an unmitigated fool, I choose to think he's wrong about everything 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Shouldn’t be any different in all honesty 

Exactly, its bollocks.  I bet they do think that though.  It's like in a final they know it will be scrutinised.  The best refs are the ones that are wankers and don't give a fuck what people think of them.  Have confidence in their decision making.  Plus I think now there is an automatic hesitance if they are sure that's now subconscious with refs as they think I'm not sure but VAR will figure it out and Ill get to see it.