Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

Just now, Wilson said:

It's fair to say he should have been nowhere near the pitch, I actually wanted that myself.  But he was the option when cheese slice was done. 

Trips hasn't got a problem with betting has he? 

safety :lol:

He’s the option when you’re attacking but when they have 74% possession and are raining down on you the knackered tripps is not the best option. Put hall LB and move livs over - he’ll even put Burn LB and play Alex Murphy CB but use this chance to give him a full weeks rest.

We still lack that killer ability to just snuff games out and see results through. We're still soft as fucking shite and gifting teams opportunities they don't deserve. The next step for Howe and this lot is to be good enough to take the lead, defend like Trojans and see the 90 mins out because we clearly can't do that this season. The PSG one was a stitch-up but we've thrown it away several times and now we're out of Europe and the LC as a result. Mental mistakes costing the team. We're not far away, going from relegation to Europe is one thing but getting that 'winner's mentality' has to be the next step. Bring back the shithousing, we've become too nice to play against, all the people we upset with it last season have changed the way we play, fuck them, get back to shithousing results in the last 10 minutes, fuck what people think, couldn't give a fuck how much they hate us.  

10 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think tonight was down to players knackered and a complete lack of options again. It is what it is, we just have to ride it out 

Again I agree but at the same time we've been largely crap away from home all season. Seem to completely lack a plan B outside of sitting deep and inviting pressure. It's the 19th December and we've had 2 away wins in all competitions since April. Feel like this seems overly negative/harsh like from myself after tonight but yi kna. :lol:

9 minutes ago, madras said:

We haven't had a bench since West Ham.

I know but we've been poor away from home for a while (feel like this may derail the thread as I'm not miffed or attributing tonight to anything else other than injuries).

We didn't have any influence at Man City on the game despite having 41% possession, fairly hefty for a team away at thr Etihad. We were much better there last season.

Outplayed comprehensively at Brighton.

Lucky to get a point at the San Siro.

Hammered the worst team in the league.

Really poor first half at West Ham, much improved second, couldn't see it out after taking the lead.

And that's before the injuries.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

I think we'll destroy them.

My only issue is another cup run is the last thing we need.

Why? So we can concentrate on qualifying for the EL? There's no way in hell in we're getting CL next season.

Thought Trippier looked pretty decent until that error. Like a solid 6/10. Guy needs a rest, if he wasn't mentally exhausted before another clanger and a missed penalty will change that.

Overall I thought we did well enough to weather it with 0 energy. What we were doing was working, but for the individual error. Can't recall them having many clear cut chances, so while they had most of the ball we were keeping them at bay just about.

Gutting, so unjust considering they could've had 2 reds 

Combination of tiredness in many forms.

Physically stretched due to Key injuries and betting habits → those playing are playing high pressure top top opposition every 3 days → Little to no training → Those that are coming back are being rushed back 

Can't knock these players for being physically and mentally shot. When you see Miggy not sprint back you know they're fucked!

Such a bizarre season, even if we had got a port vale or a fulham etc  but no, its AC Milan, PSG, Dortmund, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea...cant fucking write this shit tbh - it's comincal.

All with a squad that is simply not ready to battle on 4 fronts.

Just now, Oregon_Geordie said:

Combination of tiredness in many forms.

Physically stretched due to Key injuries and betting habits → those playing are playing high pressure top top opposition every 3 days → Little to no training → Those that are coming back are being rushed back 

Can't knock these players for being physically and mentally shot. When you see Miggy not sprint back you know they're fucked!

Such a bizarre season, even if we had got a port vale or a fulham etc  but no, its AC Milan, PSG, Dortmund, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea...cant fucking write this shit tbh - it's comincal.

All with a squad that is simply not ready to battle on 4 fronts.

and a high tempo, high intensity style!

1 minute ago, midds said:

We still lack that killer ability to just snuff games out and see results through. We're still soft as fucking shite and gifting teams opportunities they don't deserve. The next step for Howe and this lot is to be good enough to take the lead, defend like Trojans and see the 90 mins out because we clearly can't do that this season. The PSG one was a stitch-up but we've thrown it away several times and now we're out of Europe and the LC as a result. Mental mistakes costing the team. We're not far away, going from relegation to Europe is one thing but getting that 'winner's mentality' has to be the next step. Bring back the shithousing, we've become too nice to play against, all the people we upset with it last season have changed the way we play, fuck them, get back to shithousing results in the last 10 minutes, fuck what people think, couldn't give a fuck how much they hate us.  

The lack of appreciation of the size of our injury list is surprising. Funnily enough these games we are throwing away with mistakes are against sides bringing quality subs late on to change the game. Something we can't do and haven't been able to for weeks.

I never criticise Eddie but that was a total clusterfuck of decisions tonight , sitting so deep and inviting pressure against a team as average as Chelsea , leaving Gordon on when he was clearly fucked and could hardly run , letting Trippier take a penalty when he is clearly shot to bits, bringing on Ritchie ahead of Lewis , totally bizarre decisions that have ultimately cost us .

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not by me tbh. I was ready to start my reaction post with "I cannot believe we've won that match", I thought the approach was so poor. I always felt the goal was coming.

It wasn't though. Chelsea were absolutely rubbish and barely tested us. Backs to the wall got us to 92 minutes and then Trippier shit his kegs.

1 minute ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

It was a horrible bounce for Trippier.  It put him in no mans land between flicking on and back.  Still a horrible mistake.  He will be devastated tonight.  I feel for him

Aye. If he's 2 inches shorter he can help it on behind him. 2 inches taller he heads back to the keeper. The way it bounces up at that height and with little pace meant it was horrible to handle. He should still be dealing with it a lot better than he did, but I can see how he's done it. 

It's only worth keeping playing the same players, running them into the ground, if we are getting some benefit from it.

We haven't been getting much benefit lately. We might as well just play the kids at the weekend and give the players some time to be able to compete effectively. 

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

AC Milan, PSG, Dortmund, Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea...cant fucking write this shit tbh - it's comincal.

You just have to think it's almost intentional tbh then you look at our fixtures in January.

Liverpool (A), Sunderland (A), City (H), Villa (A).

The only game I can see us winning is Sunderland.

The injuries aren’t coincidental nor are they bad luck.  We haven’t adjusted our style of play particularly well to accommodate the fixtures.  We go hell for leather at home and cower away because we’re fucked.  This can’t continue - we could spend £400m in the summer but if we have the same number of fixtures the same thing will happen again. 

7 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It makes sense that the leaders of the squad take responsibility. Ritchie was our dedicated penalty taker before Wilson joined, and probably part of the reason why he came on instead of Hall in case the game went to pens.

With 40+ minutes left. [emoji38]

Why was Gordon put on the pitch second half to limp around and make his injury worse? Why was Lewis Hall still ignored? He surely should be ahead of Ritchie to slot in on the left and do a job… but you could have used both with Ritchie on the right to take either Wilson or Almiron off (Almiron could have went down the middle and been able to push Chelsea further back with more pace).

Please don’t say Botman is injured again, if so, questions have to be asked on how the fitness of the squad is being managed and I find the in-game management frustrating.

I love Howe and would look for him to build his own dynasty. I think his attributes are at the training ground, making players better, drilling in the team shape. But I think, at the moment, he leans too much on particular players he favours and simply doesn't rotate the way he needs to imo.

Bruno was immense but needs more help with better technical players around him to keep the ball, Miley amazing for a 17yr old. Lascelles and Burn brilliant. Dubravka has been a quality player for us over the years but I wish he’d adapt his game to sweep up more and he command the box with communication. Can’t help but think another keeper should be in the thinking.