Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, midds said:

The next step for Howe and this lot is to be good enough to take the lead, defend like Trojans and see the 90 mins out because we clearly can't do that this season. 

Dont think the defending is the problem. We are solid enough at the back, but we almost dont touch the ball for a whole half, and its not the first time.

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

The lack of appreciation of the size of our injury list is surprising. Funnily enough these games we are throwing away with mistakes are against sides bringing quality subs late on to change the game. Something we can't do and haven't been able to for weeks.

I've argued the same thing myself tbh but at some point you need to point the finger at the players, tonight it's Trippier again, and just ask them why they can't see out the result with 90 seconds to go yet again. It's not a one-off now. 

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Again I agree but at the same time we've been largely crap away from home all season. Seem to completely lack a plan B outside of sitting deep and inviting pressure. It's the 19th December and we've had 2 away wins in all competitions since April. Feel like this seems overly negative/harsh like from myself after tonight but yi kna. :lol:

I know but we've been poor away from home for a while (feel like this may derail the thread as I'm not miffed or attributing tonight to anything else other than injuries).

We didn't have any influence at Man City on the game despite having 41% possession, fairly hefty for a team away at thr Etihad. We were much better there last season.

Outplayed comprehensively at Brighton.

Lucky to get a point at the San Siro.

Hammered the worst team in the league.

Really poor first half at West Ham, much improved second, couldn't see it out after taking the lead.

And that's before the injuries.

Man City Brighton and Wolves were all similar to last season (In fa t I'd sat we were better at Man City and Wolves than least season).

Look at our level of substitutions last season, 2nd most and usually from the  attacking 6 players to keep intensity up.

Eddie was rotating Isak and Wilson. Barnes started for Gordon when he got injured. Murphy got a few starts, a d we started tge season without Willock and Longstaff. So far the only thing people have came up with is Trippier should gave came off for Tino at Wolves, which even if true wouldn't have made a huge deal of difference given everything else.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, timnufc22 said:

I love Howe and would look for him to build his own dynasty. I think his attributes are at the training ground, making players better, drilling in the team shape. But I think, at the moment, he leans too much on particular players he favours and simply doesn't rotate the way he needs to imo.

I feel like we were warned about this from Bournemouth fans tbh. 

8 minutes ago, midds said:

We still lack that killer ability to just snuff games out and see results through. We're still soft as fucking shite and gifting teams opportunities they don't deserve. The next step for Howe and this lot is to be good enough to take the lead, defend like Trojans and see the 90 mins out because we clearly can't do that this season. The PSG one was a stitch-up but we've thrown it away several times and now we're out of Europe and the LC as a result. Mental mistakes costing the team. We're not far away, going from relegation to Europe is one thing but getting that 'winner's mentality' has to be the next step. Bring back the shithousing, we've become too nice to play against, all the people we upset with it last season have changed the way we play, fuck them, get back to shithousing results in the last 10 minutes, fuck what people think, couldn't give a fuck how much they hate us.  

Literally a referee decision away from the 1-0 away to PSG and an error from the same here. They barely hurt us up to that point. One tricky save and that was it, we held them brilliantly.

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I never criticise Eddie but that was a total clusterfuck of decisions tonight , sitting so deep and inviting pressure against a team as average as Chelsea , leaving Gordon on when he was clearly fucked and could hardly run , letting Trippier take a penalty when he is clearly shot to bits, bringing on Ritchie ahead of Lewis , totally bizarre decisions that have ultimately cost us .

What's this got to do with Trippier knocking it down for Mudryk in injury time? How is it relevant?

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Literally a referee decision away from the 1-0 away to PSG and an error from the same here. They barely hurt us up to that point. One tricky save and that was it, we held them brilliantly.

Absolutely, for 92 mins we held them. Now they're in the hat and we're out though. It's frustrating as fuck and i'm annoyed but it's all because it's so self-inflicted. Yet again :thup:

1 minute ago, midds said:

I've argued the same thing myself tbh but at some point you need to point the finger at the players, tonight it's Trippier again, and just ask them why they can't see out the result with 90 seconds to go yet again. It's not a one-off now. 

Fine. Blame Eddie for failing and Tripps tonight. I think it's utterly harsh given the circumstances. Operating with double figures of first team players injured isn't a one-off either.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It wasn't though. Chelsea were absolutely rubbish and barely tested us. Backs to the wall got us to 92 minutes and then Trippier shit his kegs.

Yet it came. Trippier or any player shitting his kegs and making a mistake is always one of the many things that are likely to happen when you're inviting pressure for an entire half. Honestly can't believe anyone watched that half and thought 'this is fine/sustainable.'

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Similar to the PSG capitulation, there's more to it than fatigue The lack of the depth of quality is staring us in the face,our ball retention is poor 

When we won the game except for the part when the referee decided to write Mbappe (98) on his scorecard?

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Trippier or any player shitting his kegs amd making a mistake is always one of the many things that are likely to happen when you're inviting pressure for an entire half. Honestly can't believe anyone watched that half and thought 'this is fine/sustainable.'

I didn't think it was sustainable, but it almost was. Not sure what people are expecting Eddie to do with this first XI different second half? Certainly couldn't do a Chelase and make some quality subs.

Edited by hakka

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

What's this got to do with Trippier knocking it down for Mudryk in injury time? How is it relevant?

We needed to try and get more of a foothold in the game and having Hall on the left could have helped with that. He’s a fine technical player with good pace. I don’t see why he couldn’t do that job on the left playing with Tino behind him. Even though we were relativity comfortable defensively and putting in a fine showing at the back, if you’re constantly defending you’re always liable to a mistake, like Trippier made. We needed to reduce the defensive workload and having more technical players on the pitch would help with that. 

Edited by timnufc22

Just now, hakka said:

Fine. Blame Eddie for failing and Tripps tonight. I think it's utterly harsh given the circumstances. Operating with double figures of first team players injured isn't a one-off either.

I'm not blaming Howe at all, he's doing a remarkable job under massive stresses but to get so close so often and throw it away yet again is infuriating. I know I'm venting but we're so close to being very good but we still can't see tight games out like tonight. A top team wins that 1-0 and moves on - we aren't there yet and it's a mentality issue imo. 

1 minute ago, madras said:

Man City Brighton and Wolves were all similar to last season (In fa t I'd sat we were better at Man City and Wolves than least season).

Look at our level of substitutions last season, 2nd most and usually from the  attacking 6 players to keep intensity up.

Eddie was rotating Isak and Wilson. Barnes started for Gordon when he got injured. So far the only thing people have came up with is Trippier should gave came off for Tino at Wolves, which even if true wouldn't have made a huge deal of difference given everything else.

Brighton I fully agree on as they just got the goals this time but not a chance were we better at Man City this season than last imo. Wilson and Joelinton fluffed 3 glorious chances, Gordon also miskicked the ball when played through early on. We also had more possession last season. Don't remember a single chance back in August.

I felt we were quite lucky at Wolves this season with Neto going off soon after they equalised. He stays on and they probably win. Last season they set up deep after taking the lead, took us a wonder goal from ASM to get the breakthrough admittedly.