Chelsea 1-1 Newcastle United (19/12/23) Chelsea win 4-2 on penalties

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Dortmund had the extra bodies and ability to freshen up from the bench mostly.

Again, I agree but I still think they've got something we still lack in their squad and that's the nous to see games out. 

This isn't a pop at Howe, he's doing brilliantly given the circumstances, but it's something lacking in the club. It's the killer instinct and it only comes with experience, we saw the same thing in the Final in Feb, some players have it and a lot don't. We don't have any of it at all and we need to get it to get to the next level. I know injuries are killing us this season but even so, we need to get better at seeing games like tonight out

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

When we won the game except for the part when the referee decided to write Mbappe (98) on his scorecard?

did we win the last half hour like?  There was a semblance of a collapse imo, despite our defensive blocks and last ditch tackles arousing us

4 minutes ago, midds said:

Again, I agree but I still think they've got something we still lack in their squad and that's the nous to see games out. 

This isn't a pop at Howe, he's doing brilliantly given the circumstances, but it's something lacking in the club. It's the killer instinct and it only comes with experience, we saw the same thing in the Final in Feb, some players have it and a lot don't. We don't have any of it at all and we need to get it to get to the next level. I know injuries are killing us this season but even so, we need to get better at seeing games like tonight out

I personally think 2 or 3 extra bodies and we are in the semis.

Edited by madras

45 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He’s the option when you’re attacking but when they have 74% possession and are raining down on you the knackered tripps is not the best option. Put hall LB and move livs over - he’ll even put Burn LB and play Alex Murphy CB but use this chance to give him a full weeks rest.

The established right back is definitely the option.. hindsight doesn't change that.  He's had a couple of stinkers lately but compare that to what he's done for us? 

'Put hall LB and move livs over' 

It's not quite as simple as that, which is one of the reasons Howe's the manager and not you. 

Just now, madras said:

I personally think 2 or 3 extra bodies and we are in the semis.

I've never believed this mentality bit as there are plenty of occasions when those who are supposed to have it, hadn't.

2 or 3 would have helped like :lol:

It is what it is, I just think we need to learn how to win and shut games down when it gets to just a couple of minutes to play. Not sure it's all about ability when there's 93+ mins on the clock and you're hanging on away from home. Yeah, fresh legs and options are nice but it's about making good decisions and seeing it out and atm we don't seem to be capable of doing that, we need to improve on that asap

1 minute ago, midds said:

2 or 3 would have helped like :lol:

It is what it is, I just think we need to learn how to win and shut games down when it gets to just a couple of minutes to play. Not sure it's all about ability when there's 93+ mins on the clock and you're hanging on away from home. Yeah, fresh legs and options are nice but it's about making good decisions and seeing it out and atm we don't seem to be capable of doing that, we need to improve on that asap

But that's it, I think we probably would have with the extra bodies, like we did last season when we saw many a game out.

3 minutes ago, midds said:

It is what it is, I just think we need to learn how to win and shut games down when it gets to just a couple of minutes to play.

Miggy taking that shot and not taking it into the corner, leading to their counter that became the goal, is the best example of this. 

I just think the real kicker from tonight’s exit and the PSG game is that due to the timings of the goals, as much as it didn’t seem sustainable, it turned out it actually was. Hard to criticise the game plan or management when the ref has made a horror decision in one, and Trippier has made a mistake from a zero pressure situation a Sunday League player would have probably handled, both so late on.

If we drew both by a goal due to the pressure and approach then fair enough and we couldn’t complain but I don’t think we did tonight and we definitely didn’t in Paris. Can sort of see the argument it’s poor performance meaning the margins are so tight, but for me we’d still be in both competitions if not for what are two really unexpected and freak situations.

Obviously not enjoyable watching us sit so deep and barely able to string a pass together but can’t argue it could have been very different, and even worse, with a different approach. That’s not even mentioning that I don’t think we really have much of a choice on the approach with the state of our squad.

Just now, WideopenMag said:

We just seem lost when we haven't got the ability to press and play with high intensity, we don't seem to be able to retain the ball and play a possession based game for even a short period of time currently.

That was where (imo) where Tonali was supposed to fit in. I don't see him as some do as merely a Longstaff upgrade.

I don't this was a great performance where we got really unlucky - we had basically one chance all game, and that was from their fuck up. After we scored, we barely even tried to leave our own half.

The main issue for me (and this was the same against top teams like Milan (a), PSG (a), Dortmund, or against others like Bournemouth and Everton) - when we are under a bit of pressure we cannot keep the ball, particularly away.

So we kick it long to an isolated striker, Wilson or Isak, neither of whom are particularly good at physical hold-up play stuff. So we don't win it long, and then we are back under more pressure. Over and over again. Moderate pressure and we go revert to Pardew ball.

We don't have the players and energy to really press hard as we would before so we're not winning it high up the pitch.

So we need to get another way of moving the ball. Yes energy levels obviously make things more difficult, but from the 16 minute mark we basically couldn't keep the ball all game. And this wasn't an odd occasion, it's happened a lot. That's not just about fatigue, that's about tactics and mentality.

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

Miggy taking that shot and not taking it into the corner, leading to their counter that became the goal, is the best example of this. 

So it wasn't Trippier messing up then?

1 minute ago, madras said:

That was where (imo) where Tonali was supposed to fit in. I don't see him as some do as merely a Longstaff upgrade.

Aye good shout, feel for Howe with that as it's something maybe he realied and tried to address with that signing.

1 minute ago, Rod said:

So it wasn't Trippier messing up then?

That was the end result, yeah.

But it's more about what @middsis talking about when it comes to us having that killer instinct, playing like we've been there before. 

Teams that have won, that have been there, take that ball into the corner for as long as possible so that there is no counter attack for Trippier to fuck up on.

That's the difference between us and others.

Exactly, it's all about making good football decisions when there are just a couple of minutes to go. 

Ironically it's something that I think we've got worse at over the course of time. Instinctively you'd expect us to get better at it the more often you do it but it's got worse imo. Last season I think we see that game out via several trivial/fake injuries, dubious subs etc but we've completely lost that ability now. We've become too nice and amiable

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I actually shouted "ah don't shoot FFS, you dipshit" as I could see him shaping up for that shot.

So fucking stupid.

That was the end result, yeah.

But it's more about what @middsis talking about when it comes to us having that killer instinct, playing like we've been there before. 

Teams that have won, that have been there, take that ball into the corner for as long as possible so that there is no counter attack for Trippier to fuck up on.

That's the difference between us and others.

This its game IQ and we need it if we want to win something, Schars suicide run against Milan was similar for me.

Just now, Shak said:

I actually shouted "ah don't shoot FFS, you dipshit" as I could see him shaping up for that shot.

So fucking stupid.

We're literally getting criticised for barely getting out of our own half, and he's getting criticised for taking on a shot. :lol:

I actually agree in this instance he should have ran for the corner flag like. 

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

He's right what he's saying our game management needs to be better and our players need to wise up at times, miggy should have took it to the corner.

But ........... Trippier cost us right?  I haven't even mentioned his horrific penalty that didn't even hit the goal.  Yes, I'm still fuming.

I still can't shake off my decades-long apathetic attitude towards this competition. 

Just felt that we'd never have beaten Liverpool anyway and, pre-match, instead of excitement it was more about being pissed off that yet another match would inevitably bring more injuries.

So it is what it is.

What's frustrating is that we played with 50% effort and still almost beat them comfortably. Not once did I believe their half-chances would go in.

But Kieran  :sad:

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've defended how knackered we've been this season and we are knackered, but that was absolutely shit tbh, I can't defend the way we played in that 2nd half. Whether it was a Trippier mistake, a good bit of play, or anything, something was always likely to happen, it just so happened to be that. 

I felt this way about a number of our away performances. Particularly PSG. We offered nothing to stem the tide of opposition attack. Not a tactical move. Not really a substitution move. It’s just buckle up, keep going lads and hang on in there. At the highest level of football - is that good enough?

I get with less injuries. The freshness probably gets us over the line more often than not. But surely we need to have a way to play on the back foot? Like actually keep the ball or be dangerous on the counter. 

Not sure if I posted that. 

The 451 let’s keep losing the ball tactic has to change.