Luton Town 1-0 Newcastle United (23/12/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What exactly are people posting "pathetic performance" expecting? :lol:

It's shite to see how bad we are but it's fairly apparent why teams playing less games are able to outperform us on their own patch consistently.

Maybe expecting to not have a pathetic performance?

Guest reefatoon

Our lack of creativity and lack of being able to break a team down who sit back is alarming. At no point did I think we were going to score or even look like it.

1 minute ago, RS said:

If you think that you don’t know football. Have you seen the state of our squad?  I’m putting today down to a very bad day at the office. 

So every away game this season is a bad day at the office? 

Players looked a little used to losing.

Very fatigued mentally as well as physically. 

They'll be very disappointed. We need to be supporters not just fans. It's easy to get emotional and reactive after a bad few weeks. Let's see how we are come the end of January. 

Probably the absolute worst time to face Luton who is playing for their captain, at home with fresh legs against a tired Newcastle who's poor away from home and licking its wounds after rapidly getting eliminated from the league cup and europe.

Luton were great. Rarely seen a team battle as hard as they did and thoroghly deserved all the points today.

I hope we'd come back against Forest in three days but without players coming back fresh from injury we are limited in what we can do. Put the players on ice until then and pray for an early goal.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Our lack of creativity and lack of being able to break a team down who sit back is alarming. At no point did I think we were going to score or even look like it.

Still think that was a major failing of the summer window when it wasn’t addressed. Expect that to be rectified in the summer.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

What exactly are people posting "pathetic performance" expecting? :lol:

It's shite to see how bad we are but it's fairly apparent why teams playing less games are able to outperform us on their own patch consistently.

I was expecting a leggy, grim game of football but not a performance where we were outfought, which is unacceptable. 

It wasn't good today, and the away form is poor but it doesn't take much critical thinking to see why it's like this. I've seen "woeful, clueless and pathetic" and "disgusting, lazy and a disgrace" hoyed around in here. Fuck me people, do you even think for a moment before posting :lol:

4 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

They can fuck off with this shit. There was always the worry that peaking too early last season when the squad wasn't ready would lead to this. The long term demotivation and weakening of the mental strength of the team being shredded is now what worries me. To go from the way the players played last season to their current plight is abysmal and at this point in time I'm really not sure who to blame. Injuries are one thing, but we should still be able to work a result against a team like Luton, even if we were using half the youth team!

We go again in 4 days and Gordon, who was probably carrying a knock, and Almiron have just played another 180 mins. What’s the answer? I would have lined Gordon to have been rested midweek. The wide players have the hardest job in Howe’s system. We are breaking them at the moment.

Just now, RS said:

If you think that you don’t know football. Have you seen the state of our squad?  I’m putting today down to a very bad day at the office. 

The question will be who ultimately makes the decisions.  When we were doing well it's easy to sit back and let decisions be made. When things get rough who knows. 

Just now, LionOfGosforth said:

It wasn't good today, and the away form is poor but it doesn't take much critical thinking to see why it's like this. I've seen "woeful, clueless and pathetic" and "disgusting, lazy and a disgrace" hoyed around in here. Fuck me people, do you even think for a moment before posting :lol:

I don't think they were lazy in any other game this season until today. 

Not getting CL this season unless PIF chuck some serious money at the winter  window and everyone seems to reckon we don’t have the FFP wiggle room.

Really need a right sided winger, attacking midfielder who can thread a pass, striker, and centre back.

Just now, black_n_white said:

And here is our rough spell, was bound to come at some point. We will improve, might be a while yet though.

We’ve played half a season of away games without many tough fixtures in that run and have five points from it.  This isn’t a rough spell, they have been poor away for half a season.  There is clearly something wrong - that doesn’t mean Howe isn’t the man to fix it; but it’s a bit more than a spell

Been an absolute disaster of a past month.

We have to be better, we DESPERATELY need two outfield signings to buoy the squad. but to compile everything we are also shit out of luck.

- PSG VAR debacle

- constant injuries

- lack of VaR being a difference maker at Chelsea.

- Facing Luton turbo charged after last week's incident.

- mackems with a new manager

Can't rely on the excused but fuck we have been unlucky too.

Ultimately we still don't offer enough up top and aren't consistently clinical enough (not a new problem) to be a top 6 team. Fine margins but we could be sat 2nd right now had we been better finishing or had that luck. 

7 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

We are back sliding massively, Howe has a lot of credit in the bank but this feels like we've been figured out to me, last season it was disappointing draws and we've regressed and moved into very disappointing losses, we are very easy to play against away from home, the more worrying part is that we can't seem to keep possession for dear life, our midfield has been absolutely shambolic.

Aye, nowt to do with  having half a squad missing or key players running on empty/playing when not fully fit.

Have a bit of context at least.

6 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Good teams find a way to get results. We are not finding that way too often to claim to be a good team right now. Questions to answer for manager, squad and club in January. Petrified of the mackems match now.

"We're a highly physical side who have a severely depleted squad, who have been playing in the most conjested point of the season in 2 extra competitions" Eddie Howe probably.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Tbf there are some overboard reactions, but ‘they’re tired’ is applying no more critical thinking than those you’re pointing fingers at.  

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

No, they don't. Equally facinating and embarrasing.