Fulham 0-2 Newcastle United (FA Cup) - 27/01/24

BlueStar

Just now, Ste said:

Feel like we’re at that point in the save where we get that email telling us the fans are becoming impatient with our tactical inflexibility. Not sure what the answer is but the way the midfield 3 are set up just isn’t working at all, Longstaff and Miley are being dragged all over the shop again.

This has been the same for months with zero change in formation 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Still think we need a proper DM.

Would much rather have someone attacking their box not defending our own.

Positives - We’re winning

Negatives - Forgotten how to play with the ball, organisation and recovery on transitions is piss poor, loads of unforced errors, too reactive and standoffish. No evidence of the training work they’ve been doing on technical stuff Eddie spoke about the other day. Though I suppose this might improve if we could actually get the ball. 

Edited by Joelinton7

Good scoreline, better since the goal but poor performance before then. Easier just to say everyone except Isak, Gordon, Botman, Schär, Dubravka and maybe Murphy (although he should have 2 goals) had poor halves. Hopefully that goal perks Longstaff up because his performance needs that the most.

We know 1 goal isn't enough this season, so hopefully we can get another 2 or we know what's coming once they start blowing out of their arses.

We've been pretty bad IMO.

An isolated Isak doesn't win anything playing direct, but we can't pass through even a moderate press so we can't really do anything with the ball other than following a turnover or set piece.

We're not particularly pressing that hard though and sitting deep so not turning the ball over that much.

I'd like to think we'll pick it up a bit second half but this year it feels like we'll end up sitting in and just invite pressure.

We really need some proper guile in central midfield.

Just now, RS said:

Miley looks slow. Was skinned in that last Fulham break. 

Controversial but we haven't been the same team since he's come in.

He's 17 and just a kid, he's done brilliant but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

Sunderland is the only game we've controlled (first half ) and he wasn't playing then 

2 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Why are they pretending that the goal is controversial?

Even if it had hit his actual hand it would have stood. VAR will only disallow if goal scorer handles. Same as Longy goal vs Sheffield. Correct application of the current rules.

Because they don't know the rules.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Good scoreline, better since the goal but poor performance before then. Easier just to say everyone except Isak, Gordon, Botman, Schär, Dubravka and maybe Murphy (although he should have 2 goals) had poor halves. Hopefully that goal perks Longstaff up because his performance needs that the most.

We know 1 goal isn't enough this season, so hopefully we can get another 2 or we know what's coming once they start blowing out of their arses.

I thought Botman & Schar had poor halves too tbh - Schar particularly 

Did't enjoy that. Compounded by the commentary team from hell. Look like were playing in treacle.

Knew that was off as soon as Murphy buried with uncustomary aplomb

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, bigfella said:

This commentary is doing my head in, I reckon Fulham feel less aggrieved than Dixon.

This. Not sure what the fuss is about. The reaction of Fulham’s 14 tells the story.

Just now, reefatoon said:

Would much rather have someone attacking their box not defending our own.

We need both tbh. A proper, athletic "6" would help add some actual drive and cohesion to our build up, Bruno just isn't dynamic enough in that role. 

One thing I will say, all noises are that Eddie wants a midfielder, which at least tells me that they know where the problems lie. We are a different side with Joelinton and/or Willock.

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought Murphy was shocking 

3 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Positives - We’re winning

Negatives - Forgotten how to play with the ball, organisation and recovery on transitions is piss poor, loads of unforced errors, too reactive and standoffish. 

Ball retention must be the worst in the league