FAC R5: Blackburn Rovers (A): 27/02/24 @ DELAYED 20:00 (Live on BBC One)

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Would disagree slightly. Would much prefer an away game at a beatable team to a home match against City or Liverpool. 

Yeah, that wasn't really what I was saying. Let's hope for Maidstone and be done with it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ashley17 said:

Two wins from Wembley. No replays now either.

I do wish the semis were literally anywhere else. Massively takes the shine off making the final 

Someone said four wins. Whats the actual set up?

Edited by cubaricho

Just now, cubaricho said:

Someone said four wins. Whats the truth?

4 wins to win it is it not ?

5th round (last 16)

quarter final

semi final (Wembley)

final 

Edited by gdm

35 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I hate the semis being at Wembley.  Always have, ruins the occasion of the final.

There's a lot that's been ruined about the FA Cup since the old days. Much of it surrounding the draw.

43 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I hate the semis being at Wembley.  Always have, ruins the occasion of the final.

This. 

Neutral (not Wembley) venue was brilliant. Great day out for both sets of fans and a canny earner for the host town/city/club

Edited by Groundhog63

7 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

There's a lot that's been ruined about the FA Cup since the old days. Much of it surrounding the draw.

Yep, it’s remarkable just how much damage has been done to the cup by stupidity, greed and mismanagement.  The latest insult is the 5th round being played midweek to avoid disruption to the league schedule - the FA Cup should take precedence over league fixtures (and has for nearly a century and a half).  Tough shit if your league match is moved to midweek as a result. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

3 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

This. 

Neutral (not Wembley) venue was brilliant. Great day out for both sets of fans and a canny earner for the host town/city/club

Hillsborough 74 is still my favourite all time Newcastle match. Supermac in his pomp.

40 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

This. 

I think overall I agree. Having the semis there kind of tarnishes the specialness of the occasion. That said I think I have been to three and (leaving the match, result and miserable journey home via fecking stay over in Coventry) the semi against Chelsea at Wembley pre match and occasion was better than the two at Old Trafford. 

10 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I think overall I agree. Having the semis there kind of tarnishes the specialness of the occasion. That said I think I have been to three and (leaving the match, result and miserable journey home via fecking stay over in Coventry) the semi against Chelsea at Wembley pre match and occasion was better than the two at Old Trafford. 

Apart from having them, routinely, at Wembley taking away the special nature of an actual Wembley final it also gives southern clubs/fans an easy ride. 

Geographically neutral venues were class. 

Obviously, for us, that would've been Hillsborough, Old Trafford or Villa Park

Edited by Groundhog63

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Apart from having them, routinely, at Wembley taking away the special nature of an actual Wembley final it also gives southern clubs/fans an easy ride. 

Geographically neutral venues were class. 

Obviously, for us, that would've been e Hillsborough, Old Trafford or Villa Park

Imagine the outcry though if it was at Villa Park which only holds 42k. 20k tickets each and that's before cooperate get taken off. Twitter and on here would be a right hoot.

3 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Imagine the outcry though if it was at Villa Park which only holds 42k. 20k tickets each and that's before cooperate get taken off. Twitter and on here would be a right hoot.

Not New Villa Park tho but 😉

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, it’s remarkable just how much damage has been done to the cup by stupidity, greed and mismanagement.  The latest insult is the 5th round being played midweek to avoid disruption to the league schedule - the FA Cup should take precedence over league fixtures (and has for nearly a century and a half).  Tough shit if your league match is moved to midweek as a result. 

Yeah, I don't think television has helped, mind. Cup day was such an occasion because all the games were at 3 o'clock Saturday, barring weather postponements.

Then the draw was at 5:30 IIRC, so you'd be listening to it in the car after the game. It was conducted by those stuffed shirts who gave the impression that the plebs should be grateful to be allowed to hear it. It was like listening in on great events, like pressing your ear against the door of the Cabinet War Room in 1942. And you didn't know your number, so if 21 or 25 or similar came out you were on tenterhooks.

Now for years it's been real lowest common denominator stuff, with comedy, audiences, drunks in pubs, and characters like Don Goodman looking like he's fiddling it.

It's no wonder clubs don't take it seriously when the FA themselves don't seem to.

Mind, 3 points for a win, 3 relegation spots, the playoffs and all the European places don't help. Almost everyone has something to play for in the league these days.

3 hours ago, STM said:

Priority 1: Home game.

Priority 2: Not Man City, Liverpool, Villa, Chelsea or Man United. I'd also like to avoid Leicester/Southampton away.

More than anything, I just want to have a fuss free home game. Where we could perhaps play Krafth, Livramento, maybe even a return for Barnes, Willock etc.

Maybe even give Hall a run out. Nah, let's not go too crazy! 😅

30 minutes ago, DahnSahf said:

Yeah, I don't think television has helped, mind. Cup day was such an occasion because all the games were at 3 o'clock Saturday, barring weather postponements.

Then the draw was at 5:30 IIRC, so you'd be listening to it in the car after the game. It was conducted by those stuffed shirts who gave the impression that the plebs should be grateful to be allowed to hear it. It was like listening in on great events, like pressing your ear against the door of the Cabinet War Room in 1942. And you didn't know your number, so if 21 or 25 or similar came out you were on tenterhooks.

Now for years it's been real lowest common denominator stuff, with comedy, audiences, drunks in pubs, and characters like Don Goodman looking like he's fiddling it.

It's no wonder clubs don't take it seriously when the FA themselves don't seem to.

Mind, 3 points for a win, 3 relegation spots, the playoffs and all the European places don't help. Almost everyone has something to play for in the league these days.

Lunchtime Monday was the original 3rd round draw time - it was changed for TV relatively recently, because there was nowt TV viewers wanted more than Graham Kelly’s unmoving visage and squeaky voice telling you who you’ve got to play

Just now, pedro111 said:

Hang on is this before or after Liverpool match? 

Was Before but delay in West Brom game means it's probably in the middle of that match.

Edited by El Prontonise