Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

Anyone booing today is a proper daft cunt, the club was broken a couple of years ago, we now have ambitious owners running the show, that are hamstrung by the top6 cartel.

Wind your necks in, this rebuild will take time, stop spitting your dummy at the first poor result and grow a backbone

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

My main takeaway was that we had probably half a team out today that is more mid-table or lower than European contender. It’s not surprising we can’t control or dominate the game with such limited players making up a lot of the team. 

I respect all of our lads but Longstaff, Miley, Murphy, Burn, Almiron and arguably Wilson are more Luton quality than Arsenal quality. 

It’s a natural part of our progression but we still have too many average players to be confident of consistent wins. 

Of course, take them out and replace them with the lads we have injured and we destroy Luton 9 times out of 10. 

Yep. It has been apparent for a while now that our Luton standard players really struggle when pressed relentlessly. Failure to trap the ball, shift it away from the press, poor composure when choosing a pass or a finish. Difficult to play genuine quality football when you have sub-standard players involved in more than a couple of positions.

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Anyone booing today is a proper daft cunt, the club was broken a couple of years ago, we now have ambitious owners running the show, that are hamstrung by the top6 cartel.

Wind your necks in, this rebuild will take time, stop spitting your dummy at the first poor result and grow a backbone

Booing is embarrassing regardless of context.  It’s not the opera or a pantomime.

Not sure it’s the first poor result, mind. 

31 minutes ago, High Five o said:

Get the fuck out of an online forum if you do not like armchair opinions like?

Not that I don’t expect to see them, I just think some are fucking ridiculous ramblings of the hard of thinking. 

1 hour ago, nufc123 said:

Problem today was easy to see from the armchair.

You could evidently earn shitloads more than you do then. Or just suggest the current, exceptionally high performing manager, watchs from his living room. 

1 hour ago, Vedder said:

This is a Newcastle forum, of course Howe’s management is going to be discussed.

Yep, nowt wrong with a discussion. Makes it a more valid one if people retain some memory of managerial, and player, performances over the course of a season.

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

You could evidently earn shitloads more than you do then. Or just suggest the current, exceptionally high performing manager, watchs from his living room. 

[emoji38]

If we’d won that 5-4 in the end I’d have absolutely loved it. But the disappointment massively outweighs the sense of fun for me, it needed the relief of a win at the end to be truly fun. I was incredibly frustrated at the end as we were after a 5th. I  would’ve loved it if it was another team. 

2 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

if only we had a wing back with pace.

Aye, not just in those areas though, teams are breaking through the middle of the pitch with pace, and getting in behind our midfield. Our lack of a proper 4 (I can't bring myself to say 6) has shown up a lot. 

Other teams managers have spotterd it imo, and are exploiting it rather well.

Edited by Bimpy474

Credit to Luton, they deserved what they got. I feel we were bullied in the centre of the park which affirms what most people have said is that we lack that player who mops up and protects the back 4. 

Quite simply if you keep losing 50/50s in the centre of the pitch then the ascendancy is always with the other team and that's what made Luton s average players look a match for us today.

Great to see Barnes and Wilson back, can't help feel it was wrong to put Murphy on the left and miggy back on the right when we finally had a centre forward on the pitch. Obviously Murphy went back over to the right when Barnes came on but that also was no coincidence that we pulled back to 4-4

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Credit to Luton, they deserved what they got. I feel we were bullied in the centre of the park which affirms what most people have said is that we lack that player who mops up and protects the back 4. 

Quite simply if you keep losing 50/50s in the centre of the pitch then the ascendancy is always with the other team and that's what made Luton s average players look a match for us today.

Great to see Barnes and Wilson back, can't help feel it was wrong to put Murphy on the left and miggy back on the right when we finally had a centre forward on the pitch. Obviously Murphy went back over to the right when Barnes came on but that also was no coincidence that we pulled back to 4-4

I mean missing Tonali - Joe and Joe (even Anderson) is going to sting a fair bit - we lose so much dynamism - at least Miley is getting game time to add experience - Longstaff scored 2 

We have to learn our lessons - still a lot to play for - let’s try to get a European spot 

5 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I mean missing Tonali - Joe and Joe (even Anderson) is going to sting a fair bit - we lose so much dynamism - at least Miley is getting game time to add experience - Longstaff scored 2 

We have to learn our lessons - still a lot to play for - let’s try to get a European spot 

Yep, tonali and/or big Joe is looking like a huge miss.

Whilst Miley is doing an unbelievable job in the circumstances, nobody can deny that we've leaked all the goals since we've been forced to put him in the team. 

None of the midfield 3 are particularly combative and it really has shown. Not a criticism of Miley or the other two, it's just the balance isn't right. 

11 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Yep, tonali and/or big Joe is looking like a huge miss.

Whilst Miley is doing an unbelievable job in the circumstances, nobody can deny that we've leaked all the goals since we've been forced to put him in the team. 

None of the midfield 3 are particularly combative and it really has shown. Not a criticism of Miley or the other two, it's just the balance isn't right. 

Yeah until either Willock or Anderson come back we really can’t do much with it unless the formation changes

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

Yeah until either Willock or Anderson come back we really can’t do much with it unless the formation changes

Very true. Just hope willock is available for the FA cup, I think that's our season now 

Bruno is combative. He puts in very similar defensive numbers to Joe.

Today didn't feel like a DM problem to me, what Joelinton is absolutely class at is winning the ball in the opponent's half which helps to pin teams in and resort to pumping long more often. They managed to get it to Barkley from GKs well and he was able to slip by a fair bit. 

Miley gets flak for off the ball work but Longstaff feels like a non-entity in this regard at the moment.