Nottingham Forest vs. Newcastle United: 10/2/24 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Really looking forward to this game. Expect quite a reaction from us based on the Luton score line and performance against Forest at SJP.

Team should be very fired up!

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Absolutely felt the right signing at the time but now a complete dud, particularly with the wages he’s allegedly on. Nouveau bomb squad.

To emphasise that, since we made his loan permanent, he’s played less than 1,000 minutes despite us having played 80 games in that time.

Of those 80 he’s missed 11 with a heel injury, 19 with a hamstring and 2 with a horse kiss spinal injury. 

22 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Really looking forward to this game. Expect quite a reaction from us based on the Luton score line and performance against Forest at SJP.

Team should be very fired up!

Missing our two most potent attacking threats in Gordon and isak and whilst i rate Wilson as a finisher,  he's not a very good footballer. His touch, control and lay offs are often poor

35 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Missing our two most potent attacking threats in Gordon and isak and whilst i rate Wilson as a finisher,  he's not a very good footballer. His touch, control and lay offs are often poor

I'm sure someone posted that Gordon had been training this week even if not in the pictures 

17 hours ago, Beth said:

I find it hard to believe we've commited to spend £30m on an 18 year old full back and then subsequently decided he's not ready.

Seems the most likely outcome though. The loan was only a FFP sidestep for both clubs. Nothing to suggest it's anything but a formality.

2 hours ago, KDT said:

Hasn't the Hall clause been widely reported that it's an obligation to buy based on us not being relegated?

I can’t remember if that was confirmed but it definitely seemed like we would be almost certainly buying him. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can’t remember if that was confirmed but it definitely seemed like we would be almost certainly buying him. 

Hope not, Wayne Quinn wannabe needs to head back to Slough and think hard on why Howe thinks he's bobbins.

Just now, Louie Smiley said:

Got a sneaky suspicion we may see Gordon at some stage here, might be from the bench but i don't think he's far away, might not risk him from the start especially if Barnes is firing 🤞

Craig Hope said Barnes won't be starting and Gordon won't be in the squad

no good news re injuries is very disappointing again

had hoped Willock would've been closer and at least Barnes ready to start  

a few more fit and I'd be fully confident for most games like this  

Almiron   Wilson   Murphy 

Miley    Bruno   Longstaff

Thats not great really. All of those players are capable of a good game if inconsistent. We'll need to be at our best  to get anything imo. Think we might struggle against their pacey attack and physical midfield. 

17 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Thats not great really. All of those players are capable of a good game if inconsistent. We'll need to be at our best  to get anything imo. Think we might struggle against their pacey attack and physical midfield. 

It's a shame that Howe seems married to this flat 4-3-3 approach becoming a 3-4-3 in possession. I'd like to see Longstaff in the hole further ahead of Bruno. As we seem to continuously struggle with the gap between midfield and defence and no single player seems suited to the role, stick two of them there. Personally I think Longstaff could show a lot just behind the striker, bit of a Kevin Nolan in terms of his ability to be always in the right place at the right time. As he offers little else in possession other than his goals as he rarely seems to know what he's going to do with the ball until after he gets it, it'll at least work to his strengths. Applying his pressing high up the pitch behind Isak/Wilson would also take the pressure off either striker to do so and keep their energy up for when we do have the ball. 

Edited by HawK

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Longstaff behind the striker is a truly brave suggestion :lol:

All your points about him are right though. 

I reckon if I search back enough in old match threads, I've often made the point that Longstaff would make a better number 10 than he does a 6 :lol:

50 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

We're playing Forest who have conceded 41 goals so far this season (only Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton have conceded more). They've also scored less than all bar the bottom 3 clubs.

That midfield / front 3 should be more than plenty to get the 3 points here

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

We're playing Forest who have conceded 41 goals so far this season (only Sheff Utd, Burnley and Luton have conceded more). They've also scored less than all bar the bottom 3 clubs.

I mean we conceded four to Luton at home at the weekend and they battered us at home. Forgive me for not being all that confident. 

25 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

On the other hand, probably only one of those 6 players would make the team if we had a full squad to choose from.