Newcastle United - Am I happy only when it rains?

South-Cheshire-Toon

44 minutes ago, madras said:

Some turn up in the ground with a "I've paid my money so I can say what I want" attitude likes it's a purge zone, where normals rules don't apply.

In and round the ground on Saturday was the first time there was a definite feeling of entitlement from a good few, enough to feel it. It made me think of a Man City fan we met a few years back who said things had changed, the atmosphere, and he was hoping they'd wil the title (their first Premier title)that season so he could fuck off with his Macclesfield ticket and his son would then be old enough to go on his own.

One thing that I really can't stand in match threads after a result is the disrespect of the opponent even when it's completely unwarranted. Luton smashed the arse out of Brighton 3 days earlier but the way folk were going on you'd think we'd been playing the Dog and Duck on Saturday. 

Hard to complain about complacency from the team when you're being so disrespectful to the opposition yourself.

2 hours ago, mofo said:

Don't go in the match thread, it's full of cunts and whores.

You left out us weirdo's,  Although I could be one of the other two [emoji38]

Edited by Bimpy474

1 hour ago, madras said:

Some turn up in the ground with a "I've paid my money so I can say what I want" attitude likes it's a purge zone, where normals rules don't apply.

In and round the ground on Saturday was the first time there was a definite feeling of entitlement from a good few, enough to feel it. It made me think of a Man City fan we met a few years back who said things had changed, the atmosphere, and he was hoping they'd wil the title (their first Premier title)that season so he could fuck off with his Macclesfield ticket and his son would then be old enough to go on his own.

It's always been there for me, just bubbling under, waiting for an opportunity to chuck the toys out the pram. People were whinging about Sir Bobby Robson back in the day. Grumbling about Rafa's style of football while he was doing his best with what he had as Mike Ashley was tying one arm behind his back.

Entitled wankers are nothing new to our fanbase. I don't understand the mentality. Like they get off on being negative and are almost disappointed when their chance at a right good moan is snatched away by a pesky Barnes equalizer.

I wish these cunts would piss off and watch it on the TV instead of bringing the atmosphere down by not getting behind the lads through the difficult times as well as the good 

Edited by Mills and Boon

Just thinking out loud, which is what these moans are, I often wonder if since the sanitisation of football began that fans have become more hostile towards there own team instead of the opposition.

There was always moaners but it's massively increased now relative to what there is to moan about, across football.

It's definitely part of some fans makeup though, like there has to be a target of the boo boys in every team.

Same people would moan about how boring it is dominating every game and routinely winning like City. 

There's a reason why classic games and seasons are classic, there's always going to be setbacks in them and there's always going to be defeats. Itd be shit without them and football isn't for people if they can't take that. A lot of misery awaits. Look at how many setbacks there were in Keegan and Sir Bobby's good seasons and that's realistically as good as it's going to get.

Edited by Jonas

4 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I did quite enjoy posters calling our keeper utter shite because he couldn't save a penalty. That was about as objective as it got :lol:

He failed to save it twice. Totally unacceptable.

49 minutes ago, Wullie said:

One thing that I really can't stand in match threads after a result is the disrespect of the opponent even when it's completely unwarranted. Luton smashed the arse out of Brighton 3 days earlier but the way folk were going on you'd think we'd been playing the Dog and Duck on Saturday. 

Hard to complain about complacency from the team when you're being so disrespectful to the opposition yourself.

Similarly the constant focus on what we've done wrong or could of done better, even if it is a moment of pure quality from the opposition. See the Man City game.

4 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

We didn't expect to beat villa, so really we need to sit back and say 

I want no nasty soggy chips, I want mine crisp 

Your name vill go on ze list.

And coincidentally, RIP Ian Lavender aka Private "Stupid Boy" Pike.

31 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Just thinking out loud, which is what these moans are, I often wonder if since the sanitisation of football began that fans have become more hostile towards there own team instead of the opposition.

There was always moaners but it's massively increased now relative to what there is to moan about, across football.

It's definitely part of some fans makeup though, like there has to be a target of the boo boys in every team.

Same people would moan about how boring it is dominating every game and routinely winning like City. 

There's a reason why classic games and seasons are classic, there's always going to be setbacks in them and there's always going to be defeats. Itd be shit without them and football isn't for people if they can't take that. A lot of misery awaits. Look at how many setbacks there were in Keegan and Sir Bobby's good seasons and that's realistically as good as it's going to get.

Higher prices have played a price I’d say not the sanitisation. That and we are bombarded 24/7 by opinions and what people should expect with most of it negative instead of positive which transfers from radio stations and tv studios to the terraces. That and you’ve got people riling people up on social media.

56 minutes ago, Mills and Boon said:

It's always been there for me, just bubbling under, waiting for an opportunity to chuck the toys out the pram. People were whinging about Sir Bobby Robson back in the day. Grumbling about Rafa's style of football while he was doing his best with what he had as Mike Ashley was tying one arm behind his back.

Entitled wankers are nothing new to our fanbase. I don't understand the mentality. Like they get off on being negative and are almost disappointed when their chance at a right good moan is snatched away by a pesky Barnes equalizer.

I wish these cunts would piss off and watch it on the TV instead of bringing the atmosphere down by not getting behind the lads through the difficult times as well as the good 

As someone who wanted SBR to move over at the end of the season before he did and someone who often grumbled about Rafas style of football..... they are just opinions. Its the way those opinions are pressed that's the issue to me. I'd never have a go at any players or staff in the ground unless they obviously couldn't give a fuck (and I can't remember many that fall into that category) as it's so self defeating.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Higher prices have played a price I’d say not the sanitisation. That and we are bombarded 24/7 by opinions and what people should expect with most of it negative instead of positive which transfers from radio stations and tv studios to the terraces. That and you’ve got people riling people up on social media.

I don't think the price card works up here. Its the same sort of people that go now as did when I started in the 70s. More women and families but overall its basically still the same demographic.

39 minutes ago, madras said:

I don't think the price card works up here. Its the same sort of people that go now as did when I started in the 70s. More women and families but overall its basically still the same demographic.

The prices went up by about 300% under John Hall in the mid-90s, as well as being all-ST, and the crowd changed completely.  It’s remained changed, which you can tell by the average age of the people in the ground.  Groups of young lads can hardly rock up with their pocket money together today - and neither can people on a low wage.  It’s a completely different demographic. 

I think that one thing that is part of it is, during the money rush years of the Premier League, for clubs, we stopped being 'supporters' and started being 'customers'.

The thing is, that works both ways - yeah, they can treat us as customers* (with the implied belief that we either like what we see or we don't and react economically by buying in or not, and if we don't like it, then there will be plenty of others that do). 

It also means, though, that we now have 20 years plus of fans who are used to being 'customers' and - crucially - are used to paying a lot of money to see a product which (in your case and ours) was until recently absolutely shit, for literally years on end.

So when those people - and I am not finger pointing - go to matches and pay 800 quid for their season ticket rather than the 80 quid you'd have paid in, say, the 1980s, they rightly or wrongly start to expect more for their money. 40 years ago it was support your club through thick and thin. Nowadays, it's pay a fortune for the same thing, only with an expectation that you've a right to be entertained.

* We've a great example at Villa at the moment - club are creating more 'GA+' tickets (General Admission plus) which means they have ringfenced 2,000 seats they don't sell as normal seats, and sell them to people who are prepared to pay an extra 40 quid per game to get access to a bar where maybe, just maybe they can get a drink (two drinks per game), and have nice toilets etc. What is causing much uproar about this is they're effectively getting the non-rank toilets, managing to get a drink and food at half time, which should be part of the standard deal for your 'GA' customer paying 68 quid for that seat.

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The prices went up by about 300% under John Hall in the mid-90s, as well as being all-ST, and the crowd changed completely.  It’s remained changed, which you can tell by the average age of the people in the ground.  Groups of young lads can hardly rock up with their pocket money together today - and neither can people on a low wage.  It’s a completely different demographic. 

That's not how it looks inside the ground like. The only difference is that groups of young'uns cant go together as they cant just sit where they want like we could all be together with our mates.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

That's not how it looks inside the ground like. The only difference is that groups of young'uns cant go together as they cant just sit where they want like we could all be together with our mates.

The average age of the crowd is mid-40s.  Any photo or film before the PL era would confirm that this is a change in age demographics.  And in terms of ticket prices, they’re much, much higher vs income than they were pre-PL era too.  Up until the early ‘90s, the unemployed and lowest paid could attend football matches.  Zero chance of that now. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The average age of the crowd is mid-40s.  Any photo or film before the PL era would confirm that this is a change in age demographics.  And in terms of ticket prices, they’re much, much higher vs income than they were pre-PL era too.  Up until the early ‘90s, the unemployed and lowest paid could attend football matches.  Zero chance of that now. 

Could but in my experience rarely did. The age rise is as much to do with sell outs for years and others not getting addicted to going because they couldn't get in.

I bet somewhere there's an actual age comparison from the 70s to now. As someone who didn't, for a long time, have a regular spot, I'd often be in parts of the ground which was quite older than say the Gallowgate centre. Would be fascinating to get actual figures.

39 minutes ago, brummie said:

* We've a great example at Villa at the moment - club are creating more 'GA+' tickets (General Admission plus) which means they have ringfenced 2,000 seats they don't sell as normal seats, and sell them to people who are prepared to pay an extra 40 quid per game to get access to a bar where maybe, just maybe they can get a drink (two drinks per game), and have nice toilets etc. What is causing much uproar about this is they're effectively getting the non-rank toilets, managing to get a drink and food at half time, which should be part of the standard deal for your 'GA' customer paying 68 quid for that seat.

40 quid to be able to have a piss without your socks get soaked. Incredible.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Could but in my experience rarely did. The age rise is as much to do with sell outs for years and others not getting addicted to going because they couldn't get in.

I bet somewhere there's an actual age comparison from the 70s to now. As someone who didn't, for a long time, have a regular spot, I'd often be in parts of the ground which was quite older than say the Gallowgate centre. Would be fascinating to get actual figures.

There's a thing here covering the Premier league years, not very conclusive as the reasoning though.

https://www.amsr.org.uk/football-watchers-have-become-a-better-reflection-of-society/

Isn't ffp only going to harm ticket prices with clubs having to eek everything out of that stream now with fmv and the like.

Maybe I'm just looking for a stick to beat it with.

10 hours ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Or as my Dad used to say 'If you think you can do better - then go get your fucking boots and show us ! - otherwise - shut the fuck up !"

It has been commented on already, but this is the biggest load of shite going mind.  'If you can't do it, don't criticise'.  Absolute nonsense - couldn't be applied to any area of life.  Football is a catharsis for many, and a chance to get away from the daily stresses and grinds.  It isn't close to being as important as many of the jobs where you would happily criticise others for bad work.  You probably couldn't run the govt - but I bet you've criticised a PM before.  You likely couldn't build your own house - but I bet you'd be unhappy if the house you'd just bought fell apart.  You likely couldn't build your own car - but I bet you'd be critical if the car you just drove off the lot had its doors and wheels fall off.

Just doing this season and last season the wrong way round.

Maybe it’s me getting old but having all but given up on the club under Bruce I don’t have it in me, currently, to lose the plot at a fairly affable group of players and staff who are without doubt putting their all in having the odd duff result .

Even moreso when so many games under Howe will stand the test of time for decades.

Each to their own though. 

11 minutes ago, Disco said:

Just doing this season and last season the wrong way round.

Maybe it’s me getting old but having all but given up on the club under Bruce I don’t have it in me, currently, to lose the plot at a fairly affable group of players and staff who are without doubt putting their all in having the odd duff result .

Even moreso when so many games under Howe will stand the test of time for decades.

Each to their own though. 

Pretty much this. It's the best the club has felt in 20 years. I have lots and lots of time for everyone currently involved.

And there is a big point in doing this season and last season backwards. If we finished 7th last season and 4th this, the expectations would be wildly different.

But at least our trajectory is still up.

9 hours ago, Displayname said:

Lets just make shit up to complain about the complainers.

1. The font on the east stand - if they don't change it they deserve to be fed to the pigs

2. Leezers terrace - get the cunt demolished tomorrow, no later otherwise I will never go to beamish again.

3. Lewis hall. Sack him.

4. Matt sels, what a cunt, he's got the audacity to turn up to the premier league when he knows he's shit. Cunt.

5. Barker and stonehouse, get rid of it. No reason, if you need one just fuck off