Nottingham Forest 2-3 Newcastle United (10/02/24)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

Yes.  This trick won't work again against any team that has been paying attention. If Trippier's on the field and someone other than him is taking a corner, it's not going to be a conventional first-time into the box and it's probably coming back to Trippier.

Unless next time we pull the doube-bluff and have Miggy or Gordon swing it straight in . . .               

Wait till Tonali comes back, he’s got a vicious corner/cross too 😎

Not being contrarian for the sake of it and notwithstanding his lack pce but I got the impression off here that their 1st was another Burnoff. 

Watching the Highlights it's a canny pass through a huge gap between Burn AND Botman. Both had time to get back until Dubs goes all kamikaze. 

Bit harsh pinning that goal on one individual 

Just now, Pablo123 said:

Good 3 points. Slightly fortuitous with the penalty that wasn't given. Hopefully we can build on that result and win the league. 

Was never a pen. Seen them given which, I guess, is fortuitous but the lad should've been yellowed for cheating. 

In a sane world

Just now, Groundhog63 said:

Was never a pen. Seen them given which, I guess, is fortuitous but the lad should've been yellowed for cheating. 

In a sane world

When I was watching last night, I thought they got it spot on, but watching it back this morning, I thought it was a pen, but that's probably because they slow it down so much. If it was Wilson in that situation, I'd be calling for a pen, I think. I'm just pleased it wasn't given.

I was sure var would overturn. It's one of those ref probably entitled to give pen based on letter of law but there wasn't a huge amount of contract player made most of it when chance had already passed rather than being deliberately clattered preventing a goal

I know though in reverse situation I'd be pissed at no pen for that

Edited by Tiresias

Sad I missed this game but fuck, it was nice checking the score at FT to see such an important win and the elation of Bruno having bagged a couple.

I gather from some comments that there was the odd modification to shape/player positions during the match? Would anyone be kind enough to sum it up?

Just now, Yorkie said:

Sad I missed this game but fuck, it was nice checking the score at FT to see such an important win and the elation of Bruno having bagged a couple.

I gather from some comments that there was the odd modification to shape/player positions during the match? Would anyone be kind enough to sum it up?

Trippier was sitting deeper coming into midfield that inverted full back thing and bruno was playing more as a no 10. 

Bruno thing worked not sold on the trippier thing as we never looked much in control and in fact our defence was opened up way too easily with pace. 

7 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Trippier was sitting deeper coming into midfield that inverted full back thing and bruno was playing more as a no 10. 

Bruno thing worked not sold on the trippier thing as we never looked much in control and in fact our defence was opened up way too easily with pace. 

We didn't do that all game. More so the Trippier bit but it seemed to nullify MGW.

Everytime I see that first Bruno goal I keep thinking Elanga is going to nick the ball before it gets to Trippier and he's going to be able to run 70 yards unchallenged towards our goal

18 minutes ago, madras said:

We didn't do that all game. More so the Trippier bit but it seemed to nullify MGW.

Fair but i would have hoped would help when they turned us over but it felt they had so much space behind our midfield

2 hours ago, Pablo123 said:

When I was watching last night, I thought they got it spot on, but watching it back this morning, I thought it was a pen, but that's probably because they slow it down so much. If it was Wilson in that situation, I'd be calling for a pen, I think. I'm just pleased it wasn't given.

Just saw it. Not a penalty by the remotest sense of the word. The player left his foot in and tripped over Dubravka. Liverpool would have got it though

11 minutes ago, Sima said:

Still can't believe more wasn't made of the Longstaff pen.  Looked way more of a pen than Awoniyi's was.

Doesn’t fit the narrative does it though.  Still yet to see a replay of it in any Twitter space. Seen loads bleating on about their non-pen though. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Dan Burn was playing as a pushed up LWB, closer to the halfway line than our own box.

Schar went into the number 10 position at times.

Wilson played the

Shola back to goal getting ready to bring the ball down role.

Edited by Stifler

15 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Just saw it. Not a penalty by the remotest sense of the word. The player left his foot in and tripped over Dubravka. Liverpool would have got it though

I think Dubravka lifted his arm, which is why it could be construed as a foul. I'm not sure he would have got to the ball had he not went down either, though.

I always try and use the shoe on the other foot metric, and I'd want a pen for us, but completely understand why it wasn't given (not Shay). 

Ando calling Schar's goal "a simple finish". It was an incredibly controlled finish under pressure, put in the bottom corner with precision. Anything but simple :lol:

Looking at it in slow motion, I actually think it was a pen against Dubravka. He lifts his arm up and its not really true that the forest player left his leg hanging, he didnt have any chance to get his leg over Dubravkas arm there. Im not sure how much him being able to reach the ball or not factors in to the decision? 

It's one of those instance whereby VAR will just back whatever the on-field decision is.

Personally, if that was against us I'd be arguing it's a pen. I don't really see any excessive, un-natural movement from Awoniyi to manoeuvre a penalty. 

Not to mention the Awoniyi looks an absolute lump who probably isn't deft enough to play for one :lol: