Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Still think the Brentford bloke makes sense with him being a NUFC fan. Surely a role that requires the upmost loyalty and discretion as well as wanting the very best for the club in terms of recruitment.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Still think the Brentford bloke makes sense with him being a NUFC fan. Surely a role that requires the upmost loyalty and discretion as well as wanting the very best for the club in terms of recruitment.

It'd be interesting to find out on what basis our recruiters are screening out applications. Whether Giles is one of them or not - again, we can't make too many assumptions at the minute. 

I have to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with us (apparently?) outsourcing the search to an external agency again. It made more sense to me the first time around with Ashworth, when we'd just been taken over and had much less internal infrastructure.

I realise that the exact way in which we're using them could vary a lot, and therefore affect my opinion. But if we're quite reliant on them cutting out 95% of the field, as portrayed in the media, there's scope for it to hold us back a lot. The worst case scenario is assessments being carried out by miniature versions of that Eghbali guy at Chelsea.

17 minutes ago, 80 said:

It'd be interesting to find out on what basis our recruiters are screening out applications. Whether Giles is one of them or not - again, we can't make too many assumptions at the minute. 

I have to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with us (apparently?) outsourcing the search to an external agency again. It made more sense to me the first time around with Ashworth, when we'd just been taken over and had much less internal infrastructure.

I realise that the exact way in which we're using them could vary a lot, and therefore affect my opinion. But if we're quite reliant on them cutting out 95% of the field, as portrayed in the media, there's scope for it to hold us back a lot. The worst case scenario is assessments being carried out by miniature versions of that Eghbali guy at Chelsea.

I'm pretty certain candidates will be graded on some sort of point system, and the club would then be involved in deciding who to move forward with. Can't imagine that would be left purely to the agency.

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'm pretty certain candidates will be graded on some sort of point system, and the club would then be involved in deciding who to move forward with. Can't imagine that would be left purely to the agency.

As I say, I really don't know. But one or two articles have basically made it sound as though the agency, after conducting it's own assessments and such, weeded out the majority and presented around half a dozen profiles to our board, before the final two or three went to Yasir.

So depending on our attitude to the search - and I fully respect we're probably still time-poor - it's possible we wouldn't even know who the other applicants were. Even with your points system, it's essentially the equivalent of filtering Amazon products by 4 stars and above. But with the stars being awarded by bots and accountability-allergic bureaucrats. "No one's ever been fired for buying IBM".

I'm also a bit surprised at the suggestion Spors would make it to the final two before his references were checked... At this level I would've thought that would've been nailed by the agency a while back.

9 minutes ago, 80 said:

As I say, I really don't know. But one or two articles have basically made it sound as though the agency, after conducting it's own assessments and such, weeded out the majority and presented around half a dozen profiles to our board, before the final two or three went to Yasir.

So depending on our attitude to the search - and I fully respect we're probably still time-poor - it's possible we wouldn't even know who the other applicants were. Even with your points system, it's essentially the equivalent of filtering Amazon products by 4 stars and above. But with the stars being awarded by bots and accountability-allergic bureaucrats. "No one's ever been fired for buying IBM".

I'm also a bit surprised at the suggestion Spors would make it to the final two before his references were checked... At this level I would've thought that would've been nailed by the agency a while back.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I cannot imagine the approach is overlooking any qualified people.

Giles might still be on the list, or perhaps getting him out of Brentford isn't straightforward, or it isn't convenient for him to move right now, or he is missing something key that we are after ... could be anything!

48 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I cannot imagine the approach is overlooking any qualified people.

Giles might still be on the list, or perhaps getting him out of Brentford isn't straightforward, or it isn't convenient for him to move right now, or he is missing something key that we are after ... could be anything!

Oh, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm pretty confident all will turn out fine :thup:

Just a bugbear of mine, your use of the word qualified. That's kind of my point (which I know you understand based on your other posts elsewhere about potential signings). You can end up with a credentialism, with people being assessed on where they've worked previously or what UEFA licenses they've attained rather than their actual talent and knowledge. Potentially generating a shortlist of qualified people with all the capable, suitable people excluded.

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

Oh, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm pretty confident all will turn out fine :thup:

Just a bugbear of mine, your use of the word qualified. That's kind of my point (which I know you understand based on your other posts elsewhere about potential signings). You can end up with a credentialism, with people being assessed on where they've worked previously or what UEFA licenses they've attained rather than their actual talent and knowledge. Potentially generating a shortlist of qualified people with all the capable, suitable people excluded.

I meant qualified as far as what the club wants from the person that fills the role.

Some of this has been mentioned in some of the articles that have come out.

For example more experience on the recruitment side, particularly when it comes to selling players and getting really good value.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I meant qualified as far as what the club wants from the person that fills the role.

For example more experience on the recruitment side, particularly when it comes to selling players and getting really good value.

Yeah I was just being finickity, I realised you personally wouldn't have meant that :thup:

It's just that other people can have very different ideas of what qualified means, so you can think you're having a mutually understood conversation with someone when you're actually not at all.

Mix that in with motivation to avoid being exposed and criticised and it can lead to very 'safe', bad choices. Recommend Ashworth 3 years ago? No one would blame you if it went wrong. He went to all the best schools, who could've known. Recommend Howe 3 years ago? Unorthodox, he got his last team relegated, expect to be excoriated if it doesn't work out.

Edited by 80

57 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Mate, do you know which articles mentioned we may be looking for 2 roles? Sporting and Performance Director? 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Mate, do you know which articles mentioned we may be looking for 2 roles? Sporting and Performance Director? 

Craig Hope has mentioned it in a couple of articles but Mark Douglas mentions at the bottom of this:

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I've ready a number of them but can't really recall now which ones. I see some folks have shared a few though.

Just now, Pixelphish said:

777 makes me feel uneasy. Am I daft?

Understandable, however I’m don’t think this guy has anything to do with the financial side of it.

3 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

777 makes me feel uneasy. Am I daft?

Not at all. But I guess we can't hold it against him too much, it's a hint but it's not a guarantee there's a problem with him. And it's possible he's picked up a huge amount of experience, knowledge and personal credibility through being involved in so many clubs in so many leagues of the world.