Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=183445&page=9

Palace fans seem to hold him in high regard 

“don’t think Dougie has ever had the credit he deserves. For me, he is the person that made all of this happen. He was the one that pieced together a team of nobodies together to help gain promotion in 12/13. Yes he made a mistake and left but he put the blocks in place. Inspired signings back then, Bolasie, Jedinak, Delaney, Murray amongst many more. He continues to do this until this day. A brilliant servant to the club”

“According to an article in nufcblog Freedman is the preferred candidate "after making it to the last three and the final stage of interviews"

If that is the case and he has already spoken to Newcastle it would appear that he is interested in the job”

bring him home! 

I'm sure we will pay what they are asking, or there abouts.

Really seems weird to me that Freedman could be our director of football mind. Was a bit of an average Joe as a player and felt synonymous with the Championship.

I recognise that means nowt like. Would be like if someone in 10 years time told me that Chris Brunt was becoming sporting director. :lol:

Would be a little surprised if he leaves Palace. Has a very strong bond there. Maybe after a pay rise.

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Would be a little surprised if he leaves Palace. Has a very strong bond there. Maybe after a pay rise.

Iirc Ashworth was one of the best paid in the league so you’d imagine it would be a canny rise for him. 

4 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

So if he’s been at palace that long, does that mean he’s the one who appointed Pardew?

Nah, Pards left before Freedman became SD.

On 04/05/2024 at 08:04, Jack27 said:

Which leads me to this question. If we are to make a “football group”, what would you call it?

Prestige Worldwide.

35 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm sure we will pay what they are asking, or there abouts.

Really seems weird to me that Freedman could be our director of football mind. Was a bit of an average Joe as a player and felt synonymous with the Championship.

I recognise that means nowt like. Would be like if someone in 10 years time told me that Chris Brunt was becoming sporting director. :lol:

To be fair that's a bit of a disease we have in this country. If he was foreign we wouldn't think twice about his background being in Series B or the German third division. But because he's a Brit we naturally expect some star power like Gerrard.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

To be fair that's a bit of a disease we have in this country. If he was foreign we wouldn't think twice about his background being in Series B or the German third division. But because he's a Brit we naturally expect some star power like Gerrard.

100% I'm as guilty as anyone.

12 minutes ago, 80 said:

And look what that gets you [emoji38]

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

And look what that gets you [emoji38]

It is striking how many decent foreign managers have really humble, journeyman backgrounds compared to what clubs here tend to go for. Maybe drifting around at unfashionable clubs, maybe retiring in their late 20s through injury in the lower leagues.

The closest British comparison I can think of is our very own Eddie Howe :) And he basically dragged a tinpot club kicking and screaming into the big time to make any mark in this country. And still had the media laughing at the idea we'd hire him rather than someone who knows what it takes like Frank Lampard.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

It is striking how many decent foreign managers have really humble, journeyman backgrounds compared to what clubs here tend to go for. Maybe drifting around at unfashionable clubs, maybe retiring in their late 20s through injury in the lower leagues.

The closest British comparison I can think of is our very own Eddie Howe :) And he basically dragged a tinpot club kicking and screaming into the big time to make any mark in this country. And still had the media laughing at the idea we'd hire him rather than someone who knows what it takes like Frank Lampard.

I know, let them laugh! If he’s our choice exciting times. Can we bring a few Palace players too [emoji38]