Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Yes. 

The we would probably have wanted Spors even if Freedman had agreed to come. From what I read his role is more of an organiser than a scout, so he would do more of the work the garden gnome was hired for.

4 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Thats it? Dont mean to be negative but he doesnt have a lot to show for do he?

It's very difficult, without asking him, to know what he's responsible for. There were some very good (Upamecano, Konate) and very bad (Burke, Augustin, Bruma) signings at RBL when he was their chief scout. 

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

As per Chris Waugh on PotT, Spors is keen on taking the role but hasn’t heard anything from the club yet

Sounds like we aren’t that keen on him then.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Still shocked we haven’t made an approach for Giles. Given they were after Dougie he seems like the perfect fit. 

I'm not sure we're as 'data driven' as Brentford (we're more 'data led', or I could have those the wrong way around), and that's his background and speciality.

Edited by lovejoy

Just now, lovejoy said:

I'm not sure we're as 'data driven' as Brentford (we're more 'data led', or I could have those the wrong way around), and that's his background and speciality.

Bring him in to implement a data led/hybrid approach, I believe Dougie is hybrid but as you mentioned Brentford are more data based. 

We seem to be taking ages to bring someone in I thought we would've had someone in place by now to get the feel of the club and start putting plans in place. 

Just now, andycap said:

We seem to be taking ages to bring someone in I thought we would've had someone in place by now to get the feel of the club and start putting plans in place. 

It's been reported the club don't feel there is any rush.

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's been reported the club don't feel there is any rush.

Yeah, I read somewhere? Happy to have present staff to sort summer business out. No hurry. Take as long as it takes to get the right fit candidate. 

5 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Yeah, I read somewhere? Happy to have present staff to sort summer business out. No hurry. Take as long as it takes to get the right fit candidate. 

Good, solid strategy to adhere to. 

Awful for my thread creating cravings

12 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

If our number one choice turned us down, it may be a case of back to the drawing board.

24 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Or they have someone in mind but waiting for a contract trigger to elapse.

After EH maybe the most important role in the club? Take as long as they need.

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Or they have someone in mind but waiting for a contract trigger to elapse.

After EH maybe the most important role in the club? Take as long as they need.

Yeah can’t be tapping anybody up :lol: 

On 24/05/2024 at 06:39, Whitley mag said:

Was listening to Jacobs on loaded mag and he reckons Spoors and 2 others in running, one being Hugo Viana and the other an unnamed candidate from a big club in one of Europe’s top leagues.

Welcome home sweet prince.

Not a bed wetting comment but we do need to appoint soon so we dont enter a transfer window with a see whats available random approach but a clear plan and preferably someone with contacts in Europe and South America.

A Brazilian link would be good for example.

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

Not a bed wetting comment but we do need to appoint soon so we dont enter a transfer window with a see whats available random approach but a clear plan and preferably someone with contacts in Europe and South America.

A Brazilian link would be good for example.

No we don’t and no we won’t. Nickson/Howe have got this for at least this window if required. Club have said as much. No rushing until we get the right fit 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Fairly relaxed about it. Nickson’s track record is impressive and see no reason to not align our strategy to his recruitment at this stage.

Wasn’t it muted he was considered for the role but it was him that didn’t want it? 

51 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Wasn’t it muted he was considered for the role but it was him that didn’t want it? 

Yes, although it sounded like the club were potentially going to create a new role for him working directly alongside a more traditional Sporting Director role.

Their process so far has been to hire outside consultants to bring candidates in. This whole notion of biding time until the right fit comes along doesn’t really hold up, especially if it’s the same process that brought us Ashworth. He may well tick boxes but it seemed that some at the club saw through him from an earlier point. (Very much reading between the lines but some here also hold that opinion)

The idea of a sporting director is still a  slightly controversial one in English football, it works at some clubs and others not so much. The likes of Howe and say someone like Rafa Benitez are very much control freaks.. someone would have to be working for them as opposed to the other way round.

It would certainly have to be a case of one bringing in a manager that they wanted, having someone there who’s well gotten their feet under the table like Howe has just seems like a wrong way to mix the cake.

Ashworth got rid of Hughton and brought Potter in so the hierarchy was clear at Brighton.

Whoever their chief scout was is the one we should have been after. We should be signing the next stars while they are still relatively unknown given our FFP position.

• 2 weeks later...