Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United (24/02/24) | Reaction: pg 43

Disco

Just now, Sibierski said:

Think I’d trust Miley more than Longstaff deeper to get on the ball and not make a mess of it. Then have Almiron off Gordon (Get Isak off before we break him) and Murphy on the wing.

Best of a bad situation. 

Would even say Hall as CM is probably our 2nd best player after Bruno for taking ball in tight areas and moving it.

Miley cannot defend though. He’s a final pass player. Think James Maddison but 17 and not as good.

Just now, Scoot said:

People desperate for Tino to come in for Burn and think all our problems were solved we're always going to be in for a shock.

Really? I didn't read the match thread after the line-up got posted, but the week before that the vast vast (vast) majority were still expecting this due to the inbalanced midfield.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not anyone’s fault really, he’s just the last available midfielder. Longstaff is just as bad if not worse. 

Easily. Although I think he gets too much stick too. It's just a bad balance with weaknesses we can't help. Willock and Anderson aren't going to help defensively either, the former at least has a bit of recovery pace though.

1 minute ago, ikri said:

Arsenal have been great.  We haven't.  At all.

The constant backwards passes when it's been clear since the 1st minute that they're going to press the defenders immediately has been infuriating.  The ball goes backwards and we get stuck on the edge of our own box with fewer and fewer ways out giving Arsenal chance after chance.  I'm not sure how to change it easily but they simply cannot continue playing that way, it's suicidal.

This infuriated me the most, it was clear they just wanted to limit the space out and we kept playing it back into tighter and tighter spaces giving them an easier ball to close down.

We have nobody who can come in and make a difference in midfield. Willock will be very rusty, it would be unfair to expect too much from him.

Longstaff and Miley need hooked (for a while for me), but we have no real upgrades to substitute them with....