Arsenal 4-1 Newcastle United (24/02/24) | Reaction: pg 43

Disco

1 minute ago, Smal said:

mad to me how Hall hasn’t had a minute in midfield like, given how he’s played the majority of his career there.

Isn't that majority in youth/reserve games though? I've only  seen him play left back when he played for Chelsea

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

As bad as we’ve played under Howe. Midfield is static as fuck on and off the ball. Arsenal dropping the extra man in there and not playing with a proper striker has fucked us. 

Think you have to factor in quality of the opposition I think. Brighton are the best team we've faced this season because we didn't play badly but they were great. Arsenal aren't that far behind and they're playing a big part in making us play badly.

For me our worst performances are when the opposition aren't all that and we fuck it up. Spurs away in his first season is still the most ridiculous thing I've seen from him. 

2 minutes ago, JUICE690 said:

Not comparing this performance to Bruce ball too heavily but it sure is giving me unwelcome flashbacks..

I thought the same. No pressing, no anything, really. Just a really poor half. We'll be better second half, though...please 

25 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Defo six in one hand and half a dozen in the other, our shape in possession is rotten.

We really don't have an out ball from the back. Miley and Longstaff are not open and and asking for the ball, so Bruno is easy target. Botman's switch to Almiron might be only one.

Tino, Miley and Sven have been awful.

Just now, dave s said:

Yeah everyone can see it. We need to shore up that midfield .. too strong for us. 

They go to two at the back at times our attack if offering so little threat then we get overrun.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly don’t think they’ve needed to play well at all.  Schoolboy defending from us, amateur with the ball.  They haven’t needed to turn up - in fact I’d say that they haven’t played well, a good performance would see us 5-0 down at the break. 

Disagree. Their press and passing has been perfect. Everything we're missing at the moment.

My Arsenal supporting mate also said that's the best half he's seen from them this season fwiw 

They have been really good, the whining twa* has really wound them up for this one.

On our side we have been lame, shaded and looked line we admitted defeat from the 10th second

Arsenal have been good but I doubt they'll get an easier 45 minutes of football all season, it's almost unbelievable how off the pace we've been, Trippier, Schar and Botman passing from the back has been absolutely suicidal stuff, made even worse by the midfield hiding and all of our attacking players suddenly having the first touch of a trampoline.

Isak is isolated but is running around in jeans. Looks miles away from being fit enough to start, Gordon up top would have been better. 

You expect them to be better than us, but they've looked much hungrier and that isn't acceptable. 

Karius our best player. Damning. 

Just now, Pablo123 said:

I thought the same. No pressing, no anything, really. Just a really poor half. We'll be better second half, though...please 

Wouldn't take much to be fair.

27 minutes ago, duo said:

So were we - once. That was our strength - where it gone?  You can't just sit against this team.

We don't have legs in the midfield for it. Jorginho and Rice are so press resistant and Miley and Longstaff are not players who win their duels there.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Think you have to factor in quality of the opposition I think. Brighton are the best team we've faced this season because we didn't play badly but they were great. Arsenal aren't that far behind and they're playing a big part in making us play badly.

For me our worst performances are when the opposition aren't all that and we fuck it up. Spurs away in his first season is still the most ridiculous thing I've seen from him. 

Yeah, Arsenal are good and you can tell they’re out for revenge. Our players have no time in the ball. We need a miracle now, to get anything from this.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Disagree. Their press and passing has been perfect. Everything we're missing at the moment.

My Arsenal supporting mate also said that's the best half he's seen from them this season fwiw 

Fair enough.  I do think we’ve been utter gash mind. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly don’t think they’ve needed to play well at all.  Schoolboy defending from us, amateur with the ball.  They haven’t needed to turn up - in fact I’d say that they haven’t played well, a good performance would see us 5-0 down at the break. 

This feels like an extreme version of the common view that we control our own destiny in every match. We’ve been bad with the ball because they’ve pressed relentlessly, and then we’ve made bad decisions to make it worse.

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Isn't that majority in youth/reserve games though? I've only  seen him play left back when he played for Chelsea

true tbf, but we’re playing Miley in midfield every game at the moment and he’s only ever played in youth teams before this season too. You’d think Hall would’ve at least had some minutes there given the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We haven’t been in the game but that first goal was incredibly unlucky. 

Botman should have cleared it, wasn't really bad luck.