Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Newcastle United - NUFC win 4-3 on pens (27/02/24) | Reaction: pg 70

Disco

10 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Already scored more goals than ASM last season in about 1/10th of the appearances man [emoji38]

Hasn’t won anywhere near the number of free kicks or bandana-fans ASM would’ve though! 

I turned on at 55 minutes and saw us have all of the ball and create a boatload of chances to win the game in the following 65. Blackburn created 2 chances in the time I was watching, scoring 1.

I’m not saying we were decent, the football was devoid of ideas, lethargic, rushed, players were static and we gave the ball away loads. Watching Longstaff was painful and Dan Burn’s inability to head the fucking ball at 6 ft 7 is baffling. But, we weren’t as bad as a lot of you are making out. We dominated the proportion of the game I watched and deserved to win on the balance of play. 

And to be fair to Blackburn, they’ve got a few players who really caught the eye. 

Just now, Holmesy said:

I turned on at 55 minutes and saw us have all of the ball and create a boatload of chances to win the game in the following 65. Blackburn created 2 chances in the time I was watching, scoring 1.

I’m not saying we were decent, the football was devoid of ideas, lethargic, rushed, players were static and we gave the ball away loads. Watching Longstaff was painful and Dan Burn’s inability to head the fucking ball at 6 ft 7 is baffling. But, we weren’t as bad as a lot of you are making out. We dominated the proportion of the game I watched and deserved to win on the balance of play. 

And to be fair to Blackburn, they’ve got a few players who really caught the eye. 

Very much liked Dolan. 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nothing we have done this season comes close to the absolute vomit produced under Bruce. I will never accept that. We had ten men in our box all game and Joelinton 50 yards up the pitch. We couldn't even get up the pitch most games.

I’ve watched enough of our away games to think that ten men back has been a regular tactic this season.  And what I just witnessed wasn’t dissimilar to a ‘Steve Bruce’ NUFC performance.  Bruce is a vastly inferior manager to Howe, so the comparison is ultimately moot - but I can’t be arsed with head-patting for good performances and excuse-making for repeatedly shite ones.  

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You reckon ASM wouldn't have been injured for this this season? :lol:

We do need that lock picker though, defnitely.

Sure, but you knew what I meant. Even Pep went and bought Doku to untangle defences, hope we get a player similar of that ilk for next season 

At times it looked like we were trying to walk the ball into the net, and some of the tackling looked tentative.

BUT ..... it's good to see a few players coming back to fitness and we're still in it. The season's not dead.

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Sure, but you knew what I meant. Even Pep went and bought Doku to untangle defences, hope we get a player similar of that ilk for next season 

I do, I just think it should be and is more likely to be a Maddison/Szoboszlai type. Doku's a bit off the boil compared to earlier in the season as well.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve watched enough of our away games to think that ten men back has been a regular tactic this season.  And what I just witnessed wasn’t dissimilar to a ‘Steve Bruce’ NUFC performance.  Bruce is a vastly inferior manager to Howe, so the comparison is ultimately moot - but I can’t be arsed with head-patting for good performances and excuse-making for repeatedly shite ones.  

Sorry, but I can't take anyone comparing performances to anything under Bruce seriously.

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Have to say I think I see lots of mentally tired players with us at the moment.

Yeah. Seen them all be a lot more cunning and creative than they are at the moment individually and collectively.

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

Think that's a fair shout and honestly a good reason why they deserve credit for getting through that tonight. Some brilliant composure in the shootout... probably - all moments considered - the most confident I've ever seen us look at pennos. :lol:

Blackburn looked well drilled and went in with a plan. We looked like we didn't have any ideas of what to do, the midfield is our biggest issue at the minute, but with Willock and Anderson returning, I'm expecting that we should start fixing that.

Tonali's ban really fucked the season, with him available this year would've been completely different, and Joelinton has shown that he's probably worth what he's asking as the cost to replace him will be even higher. 

5 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Definitely. Bruno has started something like 19 games in a row, and on top of that he's had to reign his play style in so much in the last five or so games to not pick up a booking. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Sorry, but I can't take anyone comparing performances to anything under Bruce seriously.

Did we not get absolutely mullered by them at home in the league cup under Bruce?

Know we scraped past Newport in a penalty shoot out.

halcyon days.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I do, I just think it should be and is more likely to be a Maddison/Szoboszlai type. Doku's a bit off the boil compared to earlier in the season as well.

Disagree that thats what we need. Would love an ASM/Doku type player, Howe doesn't seem to like the number 10 types of players anyway.

Doku has been injured, which is why has been off the boil :lol:

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Disagree that thats what we need. Would love an ASM/Doku type player, Howe doesn't seem to like the number 10 types of players anyway.

Doku has been injured, which is why has been off the boil :lol:

Hmm, Stanislas, Josh King, and our bids for Maddison would suggest otherwise like. Not a 10 either, just a player who plays between the lines and can pick a pass. That weird hybrid AM/RW or LW we're supposed to have been after.

I know he has, he's still not looked great since returning.

Edited by Kid Icarus