Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United (30/03/24) | Reaction: pg 50

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Are you for real :lol: You can't just kick players in the leg that's got fuck all to do with a not a no contact game. Fortunately the officials knew that also

Absolutely, as a centre forward always told, get yourself between the man and ball. From the rules: Shielding the ball, a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent. Gordon wasn’t fairly challenged, he was kicked. Stonewall, both pens.

First game of the season for me. My key takeaways:

The East stand support is awful. Average age must be clicking on 70. The smell of piss is much stronger than any passion. 

We are so poor defensively through the middle, levels of Bruce era lack of understanding among the defence at times. 

Howe’ s approach seems to be cautionary these days. The number of times play slowed down from promising positions was frustrating. 

Longstaff needs dropped/rested. I’ve never seen a player so low on confidence keep

being selected . Put the lad out of his misery 

Dubravkas positioning is woeful 

Until the triple substitution we would

never have scored from open play. Howe had nothing other than attacking players to bring on and when that happened the game was transformed. An absolutely surreal end result from where we were before my the substitutions. 

How easy it is to get a pint in the labour club after the game. Very impressive. 

Unbelievable result from where we were

prior to the triple sub. What a day. 

What was the opinion of the Burn challenge on Kudus in the first half?

In the stadium I felt we got away with a red card, haven't seen it mentioned much in here

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

In the stadium I felt we got away with a red card, haven't seen it mentioned much in here

One of those borderline ones where he is just about the right side of him to get away with it. Plenty on here and in the media said Ballard on Isak was good defending when I thought it was a foul and a red. This was nowehere near that bad. But perhaps lucky. 

Considering Kudus and Paqueta were diving and moaning all game. Fuck them.  

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Don’t remember it at all, certainly don’t remember anything like a red card challenge all game 

It was when Kudus looked like he was going to be through on goal and Burn shoulder charges him to the floor

Edited by joeyt

Ah, I remember the challenge. I thought it was borderline a foul. They were both fighting for the ball and Burn was just about level enough to get away with it 

Just now, joeyt said:

It was when Kudus looked like he was going to be through on goal and Burn shoulder charges him to the floor

I thought that was very close to bad stuff when it happened. He knocked him straight down going in on goal.

19 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Lad screaming "smash it" before he hits it. :lol:

:lol: class. 

Fletch is annoying. But I like his commentary for big moments like this. He gets caught up in the emotion of it all.

No fake shit like Tyler towards the end. No poundshop poetry like Drury. Just seems to enjoy it and sounds like genuine excitement.  

Probably helps that I’ve watched this clip 38 times and also he was on comms for the PSG game. 

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Thought Burn did really well there. Looked absolutely fine to me, which surprised me.

Wow, just making my way back from the game via metro replacements.....what a game! They looked like they were going to do what we did to them last season (1-5). But the changes in hall, Anderson, miggy and barnes (hall and Anderson should have started) absolutely sparked us into life. 

Despite our inability to defend any pressure....i honestly think we deserved it

Harvey Barnes man....as soon as he takes that touch, it's destined for the net. Magic

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Thought Burn did really well there. Looked absolutely fine to me, which surprised me.

Looked far better and composed. Hall seemed to compliment him at leftback too. 

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I thought he did well to muscle him off the ball personally, didn't think it was a foul. Kudus went down easily but he had been all game 

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

:lol: class. 

Fletch is annoying. But I like his commentary for big moments like this. He gets caught up in the emotion of it all.

No fake shit like Tyler towards the end. No poundshop poetry like Drury. Just seems to enjoy it and sounds like genuine excitement.  

Probably helps that I’ve watched this clip 38 times and also he was on comms for the PSG game. 

Wait till you hear Radio Newcastle / Andos reaction 🤩

One of my favourite moments looking back was when Gordon got his second yellow and the whole stadium basically said fuck you to the ref and gave him a standing ovation off.

18 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Good challenge. Big CB using his body to his advantage.

I thought Burn in general was very good today. Even at left back he dealt with Bowen well early doors. Not culpable for any of the goals.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

Good challenge. Big CB using his body to his advantage.

I thought Burn in general was very good today. Even at left back he dealt with Bowen well early doors. Not culpable for any of the goals.

Yep. I know Schar seemed to have a hamstring niggle. But he was poor physically and in the air. Kept getting caught square and regularly lost out on headers from memory. 

Burn was good today and was not getting beat like that. 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

No, but I didn’t say he did, more pointing out that he hadn’t.

May as well say " he didn't head it", it's true but has no bearing on the decision.

Unreal that, think I felt every emotion possible at the match.

I have said it so many times, but Dubravka is absolutely fucking diabolical. He had a good game at Blackburn in the cup but that aside, he’s been a complete clown. 

First goal he gives Antonio the full goal to aim at basically. Second goal his crisp packet wrists see him concede a pathetic goal. Then he nearly cost us at the end. Surely Karius isn’t as bad as him man?

Longstaff. Won’t say any more.