Fulham 0-1 Newcastle United (06/04/23) | Reaction: pg 44

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I agree with most of this but Schar 5.5? I thought he played really well. 

Yeah, thought he was really poor by his standards, would have been less without his wrongly disallowed goal as well. Burn was comfortably the stand out defender who held everything together.

If we can keep them fit for the rest of the season then a front three of Barnes, Isak and Gordon will be fantastic. I always thought Gordon wouldn’t lose much playing right because most of his qualities can be done on either wing 

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Great win. Schar and Bruno absolutely imperious. We lack so much quality in the final ball but eff all can be done until summer about that.

Schär was imperious despite the massive Bramble moment?

Thought Burn was imperious, especially after some posters said he can't play CB at all.

4 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I agree with most of this but Schar 5.5? I thought he played really well. 

KI hates him. Schar was absolutely brilliant. [emoji38]

Good win that. If we can keep Bruno, Isak, Gordon and Barnes fit for the remainder we might have a chance of Europe. Then we just have to do what we can in defence. :lol:

1 minute ago, Ginola14 said:

as badly as we played at times I think we had much better openings and chances overall, and Schar very unlucky not to score 

haven't seen the xg but imagine we came out well on top 

Great result considering we were without 11 players, they had a fully fit squad and defent home record 

Barnes and Anderson good off the bench - we've really missed that so much this season 

fingers crossed Willock is okay 

Willokc hasn't seemed anywhere near fit since he has been back. 

Bloody hell. First 25 minutes or so was an absolute full-on coeliac shitshow. It was worse than Bruno's kneeslide.

Looked like Howe adjusted a bit - Murphy started playing as more of a second full back to counter the 2v1s on the left and it was a bit more even the end of the first half though we were still making a lot of sloppy errors.

Better second half. I like the look of a Barnes Isak Gordon front three. Overall got away with it a bit today, though I don't remember them having too many clear cut chances. Points on the board with so many out is a good day.

Did anyone else start hearing O Fortuna playing when Dummett was being readied?

Edited by Checko

Good turn around that. Burn looking more comfortable in cb. Hall giving us good balance, even if he was up against two quicker wider players. 
Gordon, Isak and Barnes give us real counter attacking threat. So it feels like we can go back to that end of 21/22 season style with a deeper backline and being difficult to break down and then use our quick players to try and counter. 

First half not so much but Eddie defo got them organised 2nd half and I think Willock was struggling even pre-injury so Anderson coming in may have made a difference also. 

Barnes looked excellent when he came on. Hope we can start with that front 3 against Spurs. 

Bonus, I get to see Bruno live at st.james' when I travel up next week. Was praying he didnt pick up a yellow today. 

Thought we looked much better once the two players who should have started came on. Was a baffling decision pre kick off and looked even worse considering how bad Murphy and Willock were. 

Awful in the first half, only level thanks to Fulham's inability to put the ball in the net despite chance after chance.  2nd half drastically better, plenty of bottle showed here and kept going even after the wrongly disallowed Schar goal. Thankfully we've still got Bruno in the middle and we got over the line. Shame West Ham got the win but what was looking a difficult week at 60 mins in last Saturday has suddenly seen us with 7 points from 9 and stalking Moyes' men and breathing down the neck of Manchester United. HOWAY THE LADS !!! 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I hate Schär do I? I think he's our best ever defender you absolute knacker. :lol:

Obvs wasn’t serious. We’ve had this chat before.

2 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

as badly as we played at times I think we had much better openings and chances overall, and Schar very unlucky not to score 

haven't seen the xg but imagine we came out well on top 

Great result considering we were without 11 players, they had a fully fit squad and defent home record 

Barnes and Anderson good off the bench - we've really missed that so much this season 

fingers crossed Willock is okay 

People complained about Anderson and Barnes not starting, but having options off the bench if things aren't going great, has been key lately.

The performance reminded me of Man Utd this season, where they are second best for the majority of the game but a bright 25 minute period sees them pick up the win.

Great result for us but we can’t afford to play like that against Spurs.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Obvs wasn’t serious. We’ve had this chat before.

Maybe I need a re-watch, my first reaction was that he had some blunders, poor balls, and was losing runners. I thought Burn was the imperious one of the two.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Jordan said:

Thought we looked much better once the two players who should have started came on. Was a baffling decision pre kick off and looked even worse considering how bad Murphy and Willock were. 

Howe seems to love to have a team he knows he can change. 

Fair play if it works 

Great to get the 3 points, but that was a shit show.

What I notice is that some of the players arent listening to the instructions from Howe. Ie. Often this season you can see Howe screaming to Gordon and try to get him to track back but he looks like not responding. Gordon has been one of our best players this season, imo before xmas he was tracking more back. The way Howe wants us to play(like we played last season) everyone has to be on board and work for each other, is he starting to loose some players? I cant see Bruno and Isak wanting to stay if we in the future play like we have done for most of this season. 

3 minutes ago, CPL said:

Burn has been class last 2 games tbf. Really stepped it up and pleased for him. 

He looks quicker than Schar and Botman too.😂

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I thought Schar was a shout for man of the match :lol: his positioning and composure was pretty spot on all game. 

Yeah he was pretty great I thought, only one point in the second half he got left exposed for pace and Burn stepped across to block the danger.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Maybe I need a rematch, my first reaction was that he had some blunders, poor balls, and was losing runners. I thought Burn was the imperious one of the two.

Aye. He was class after the injury but definitely below his usual standards and gifted them their best chance from absolutely nothing.