Lloyd Kelly completes transfer to NUFC (Official)

Jack27

If this was a big money transfer it would be a massive no, but he will be brought in to rotate. Guess there will be some frustration with him whoever signs him.

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Surely he'd totally negate the need to renew Dummett.

When Dummett came on with seconds to go yesterday, I was pretty sure he was being given his swansong.

24 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

When Dummett came on with seconds to go yesterday, I was pretty sure he was being given his swansong.

Tbf, Schar did go down at the end, whether it was cramp or whatever, and it didn’t seem like Dummett was coming on until that point.

They’re very slow. Only reported Tosin the other day and that was to Man Utd. They hadn’t said a peep about him coming here prior to today even though it’s been pretty nailed on for weeks. 

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2024 at 15:54, Dan Gleebals said:

His injury record is terrible.

He has missed 587 days injured in last 5 seasons. 117 days per year!.

Our track record with players like this is not good either.

No thanks. Free or not.  Certainly not a priority.

:pokerface: I know he's free but what's the point if he's injured for 1/2 a season - still lose money in wages

Edited by duo

34 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Perhaps they figure he’ll be less injury-prone in a squad rotational role; or his injury prone-ness will be felt less keenly as a result

Isn't he a LB? Rotate with young Lewis Hall and Bob's your uncle.

Howe on Kelly:

"When I sit here and talk about players that maybe no one else has seen and I say how good they can be or how good they're going to be, if no one's seen it, it's very difficult for people to believe. What I'm saying is what I believe, but with Lloyd, I truly believe he's got everything he needs to be a top, top player. His career is out in front of him. If he can stay free from injury, then he can achieve so many great things."

Woodgate:

"Lloyd can look like a Rolls-Royce at times. It is all a matter of consistency how far he goes in the game."

Iraola:

"I've told you a lot of times during the season, for me Lloyd is one of our best players ... I think he has been very, very good for us this season.The problem with him probably is that he hasn't been healthy this season as much as we would like. But the games he has played, I think he has been very good."

"He has been playing as a centre-back very well and has been playing at left-back very well. He is a very, very good defender."

-----------------------------------

There are similarly glowing quotes from Scott Parker, Gary O'Neill, and Bristol City people. Equally high praise on his character, as evidenced by him becoming captain at age 22. Not surprised we're interested, especially with Eddie having history with him.

His long running ankle injury happened in training and stretched across the World Cup break. This season was a mess of muscle injuries that may or may not have been related. There's clearly some risk, but the potential reward seems very high given his talent and the improvements we've seen from so many players.

Posted (edited)

How tall is this lad? I have seen 1.9m (Wiki and a few) and 1.78m quoted and he does not seem to be the former from photos and videos.

Edited by LRD

7 minutes ago, LRD said:

How tall is this lad? I have seen 1.9m (Wiki and a few) and 1.78m quoted and he does not seem to be the former from photos and videos.

Somewhere between 5'10" and 6'3". His height seems to be one of the great mysteries of the modern world.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Somewhere between 5'10" and 6'3". His height seems to be one of the great mysteries of the modern world.

The Joe Rogan of football. 

8 hours ago, LRD said:

He's a fucking giant, look:

2021-10-23T161402Z_1952209371_RC2SFQ9CY5

Adding more pace and physicality at the back will transform us. We will be able to put the press on a lot better, coming together nicely if we get these 2 in plus a new keeper

12 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Happy with this, just need to keep him fit if we do he can contribute a lot. 

Only disappointing aspect is @Jack27made this thread and him not being in the mud if he signs. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

5 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Adding more pace and physicality at the back will transform us. We will be able to put the press on a lot better, coming together nicely if we get these 2 in plus a new keeper

Genuinely think Eddie is trying to avoid the cyclical 3/4 year thing, where players "get bored" of their managers tactics and everything starts breaking down for no apparent reason. That's the only reason i can think we seemingly half arsed the press this season. Think we would have done so without the massive injury crisis too, as it looked that way at the start of the season. The likes of Kelly and Tosin will allow us a bit more flex with our approach to defence. Just about the best possible start to the summer window we could have hoped for and we did it all without a Director of Fuck All / Sporting Director at the helm as well.

Botman

Burn

Schar

Lascelles

Dummett

Krafth

Trippier

Hall

Livramento

Targett

Kelly

Tosin

That's a lot of defenders, you'd hope we'd be able to shift Targett but sounds like most of the others will be staying.