Lloyd Kelly

Jack27

We will hopefully look back on this as a great piece of business. I hope the Bournmouth guys are right about him having a trajectory to England.

Probably worthwhile against the small risk that he ends up injured and on a contract we can’t shift him from. 

Only concern really is his injury record, though the lack of a transfer fee certainly compensates for that. Seems a good player and professional, adds pace to our CB group, which we really need.

1 hour ago, AJ9 said:

Very happy with this. He’s going to be class.

I don't doubt his ability just his injury record.  No getting away from it - it is not the best.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

So he’s Dummets replacement? Certainly an upgrade if a risky one at that.

Is he purely a left back or can he play CB?

According to the Bournemouth fans, the other way round.  He's a good CB that can also play LB

3 hours ago, Checko said:

5+1 is a long deal for someone who's had a lot of injury issues.

He's a free transfer so would have had some leverage, and would have been looking for some security.

We probably compromised on a longer contract, but on a lower salary than he may have wanted initially.

Took a bit of time for this to be finalised, and so I imagine these were the types of discussions taking place.

Let me nail my colours to the mast as being pro this signing. But it is pretty funny being happy about this signing while griefing about Hayden still being on our books in a neighbouring thread. There's certainly risk attached, but all in it looks like a calculated gamble.

Oh, and also, longer contracts mean less of an FFP hit, year on year. And so there's that as well.

Edited by KaKa

Hayden was signed when we were a championship club as an unproven young player.  Least with Kelly there is some proof of his quality at this level and potential to get better 

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Let me nail my colours to the mast as being pro this signing. But it is pretty funny being happy about this signing while griefing about Hayden still being on our books in a neighbouring thread. There's certainly risk attached, but all in it looks like a calculated gamble.

Hayden isn't good enough at this level though, and so we can't use him at all.

When he got that new contract, we probably already knew that too, but ... Mike Ashley.

11 minutes ago, 80 said:

Kelly is far more talented than Hayden.

30 minutes ago, 1964 said:

According to the Bournemouth fans, the other way round.  He's a good CB that can also play LB

So he’s an upgraded replacement for Dummett 😂

15 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Kelly is far more talented than Hayden.

Was speaking more from the made of glass perspective. Hopefully it all shakes out fine, and as I say, I think it's worth the shot. But there's a not inconsiderable chance we'll all be rolling our eyes about him still having a year to go here in 2028.

Edited by 80

37 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

So five year deal as opposed to four he mentioned previously. Assume Ornstein was right then.

Ornstein is always right. 

A god