Next season

Rod

5 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I want us to be less of a soft touch again away from home and I want to see us being more ruthless both in mentality and clinically. The Liverpool home game was a prime example. Not really knowing how to close it out and floundering then getting nervous. But that also comes down to personnel with someone like Miggy fluffing his lines with finishing or failing to put in the killer pass (from memory) to finish Liverpool off.

That Liverpool game set the stage for the season really. It exposed fatigue issues in the team even at that early stage. We wilted as they came on strong towards the end and lots of games went that way throughout the season.

Why? Not 100% sure, I suspect the pre season may not have been ideal or maybe we just weren’t rested enough after the heroics of season before where we were anything but vulnerable in latter stages of games.

Game management was spot on. We also stopped a lot of the shithousery, and again, not sure why as it was working for us.

Posted (edited)

I don’t think being disappointed about the season is at all knee jerk or half empty glass.  We’ve emotionally been put through it a bit this year and after the highs of last year it’s hard to take. 

We’ve had:

- tonali ban

- injuries

- champions league draw

- dodgy last minute penalty agains psg

- losing against Liverpool against 10 men when a player who can’t score finds 10 minutes of form

- being half an hour or so from champions league group qualification to lose it then also miss out on going into the uefa cup 

- league cup draw

- fa cup draw

- being minutes away from getting though against Chelsea to lose on penalties

- losing director of football

- new director of football turning us down

- thinking we would get Europe not getting Europe as city lose their first game in 30 odd 

- no sponsorship deals

- no news on new training ground

- no news on st James 

Next year I’d just like a bit of luck.  Not losing any big names.  Some decent signings and not losing out on our targets.  Some progress off the field. And something to celebrate. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

I was gutted watching the game yesterday but now we are out of it no choice but try to see the positives.  It will definitely drop our chances of winning a trophy by at least half, and we will start the league cup a round earlier, but should help the squad.  Beggars can’t be choosers but ideally I’d rather our first trophy win was something more established, although I’m a bit torn on wanting to build up to something good. It feels like we will never win at Wembley and I thought one of the lesser European trophies would be our starting place. I genuinely think if we had of won the league cup last year that would be bigger to us as fans than eventually winning a champions league the way Man City have, where you’ve been knocking on the door so long. 

Next season needs to be at least as good as 22/23 for me, and needs to be consolidated. It already feels like a huge one like it could be the end of the first phase under new owners, and hopefully it will be a successful one so we keep Howe.  The summer won’t have the same buzz for me without a European draw to look forward to but hopefully some exciting signings can change all that. 

8 hours ago, huss9 said:

not sure about that.

we now have an excellent RB, LB with potential, decent keeper, 2 international central midfielders, Botman , world class striker and soon to be world class attacker in Gordon.

we needed to spend big on tripps, burn, wood, targett at the time also

Did we need to buy Targett? After his loan spell he has hardly features, we played Burn there, and bought Hall in during the summer.

Burn did ok for about 6 months, since then people have regularly and I say fairly criticised him. Is he a long term option for us? I don’t think he is.

Wood, again we sold him as soon as we could, he was never going to be a long term option, and I don’t think he gave us anything we couldn’t have got elsewhere.

If we get a new goalkeeper, then Pope will surely be off. I can’t see him being happy to sit on the bench. Would we not have been better off buying that 1st choice keeper sooner instead of getting Pope?

Barnes wasn’t really needed when we bought Gordon 6 months beforehand, and RW is a massive weak spot for us.

6 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Let's just hope there's been an internal review into why nobody has been able to stay consistently fit this season bar a few, because expecting all these injuries to stop just because it's a new season is naive.

22/23 we also had 3rd worst injury record. Having less football due to not being Europe will help, but there’s something more fundamentally wrong at the club which needs resolved.

9 minutes ago, Maggies said:

22/23 we also had 3rd worst injury record. Having less football due to not being Europe will help, but there’s something more fundamentally wrong at the club which needs resolved.

Yeah, always feelt that this season wasnt just about bad luck. I think we need to be smarter and better with the ball. And that Howe has to be more flexibel with the squad between and in games. just not standrad 60 min subs regardless.

We also has to be able to play and keep the ball and controll a game. to play defence like we did last season is not sustainable to prevent injurys, and win football games.

We are doing something wrong.

I just stuck some money on us to win the title and I’m going with that. Man City will be docked points next season for sure, Liverpool are in transition, Chelsea changing managers again puts them a step back and Man Utd are just shite.

We’ve got players to come back in and no European distraction. As long as we get a better set of fixtures at the start of next season, then I think we’ll come out flying

Happy with those 25/1 odds 

9 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I just stuck some money on us to win the title and I’m going with that. Man City will be docked points next season for sure, Liverpool are in transition, Chelsea changing managers again puts them a step back and Man Utd are just shite.

We’ve got players to come back in and no European distraction. As long as we get a better set of fixtures at the start of next season, then I think we’ll come out flying

Happy with those 25/1 odds 

I’ve just got 35/1 with Ladbrokes.

It was 33/1, but they offered me a bet boost to 35/1, ended up putting an each way bet on.

I mean the cup final yesterday shows that my betting luck has changed and no longer a fucking jinx, so fuck it.

I wonder that without European football the club might actually spend more than it was planning to in order to show to the top players that as a club we're still progressing hoping this will make them stay. I think next season is perhaps the biggest in the clubs modern history, if it goes well and Champions football is secured I think it is possible to see Newcastle win the League within the next couple of year. If we falter then that will see Howe go and a number of our top players pushing for moves and we become a northern Spurs, the nearly men, who occasionally taste European football but are never realistically in with a chance of winning the league.

1 hour ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I don’t think being disappointed about the season is at all knee jerk or half empty glass.  We’ve emotionally been put through it a bit this year and after the highs of last year it’s hard to take. 

We’ve had:

- tonali ban

- injuries

- champions league draw

- dodgy last minute penalty agains psg

- losing against Liverpool against 10 men when a player who can’t score finds 10 minutes of form

- being half an hour or so from champions league group qualification to lose it then also miss out on going into the uefa cup 

- league cup draw

- fa cup draw

- being minutes away from getting though against Chelsea to lose on penalties

- losing director of football

- new director of football turning us down

- thinking we would get Europe not getting Europe as city lose their first game in 30 odd 

- no sponsorship deals

- no news on new training ground

- no news on st James 

Next year I’d just like a bit of luck.  Not losing any big names.  Some decent signings and not losing out on our targets.  Some progress off the field. And something to celebrate. 

Lets not forget the odd plus:

-Adidas as new shirt sponsor

-Gordon flourishing 

-Emergence Of Miley

-Newcastle hammering PSG (what a night)

-Joelinton Signing new contract

16 minutes ago, duo said:

-Gordon flourishing 

-Emergence Of Miley

- beating Sunderland and ending their season

16 minutes ago, duo said:

-Gordon flourishing 

-Emergence Of Miley

Add
Scoring bucket load of goals

I thought Tino - Hall - Anderson - (Minteh) showed great signs for the future 

Isak as a real top notch striker

Just now, duo said:

Shows even in a season like that - tons of positives came out of it.

I am the biggest doom merchant going but even I have to temper by expectations down and realise that things take time.

5 years they said to get us ready to really compete  - which I believe we are on track for: you can’t do everything in one go: 

Year on year our commercial (non European) income has grown - big deals made 

Big sponsors (kit, training ground to come)

Growing our brand worldwide - USA - Aus -Japan

Improvements made to training ground 

Stack fanzone

New club store - taking back control 

Creating a sporting structure (DoF, Academy appointments)

Buying talented youngsters for the academy 

Feasibility of the stadium

Growth of women’s team 

22 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The players and Howe have probably learnt more this season than the others, I think they’ll use it to kick on.

I think everyone will have learned from this season including owners, staff, players and fans… last season had more challenges than we could have imagined, but now next season can’t come quick enough for me, looking forward to it already… and I’ll take winning the league cup for starters…

I think quite a few alluded to this already - need to stop being a soft touch away from home - think a new GK and CB will help massively plus Sandro and a new RW

Club’s aim is top six and to go deep in all domestic cups but with no European distractions its maybe a season you target a UCL place.

The one thing I’d like to see us improve on is the big away game mentality and improving our records at Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad and Stamford Bridge. Zero point return this season and only three point return the season prior from 15. Makes all the difference at the top when the points swing the other way. 

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

Did we need to buy Targett? After his loan spell he has hardly features, we played Burn there, and bought Hall in during the summer.

Burn did ok for about 6 months, since then people have regularly and I say fairly criticised him. Is he a long term option for us? I don’t think he is.

Wood, again we sold him as soon as we could, he was never going to be a long term option, and I don’t think he gave us anything we couldn’t have got elsewhere.

If we get a new goalkeeper, then Pope will surely be off. I can’t see him being happy to sit on the bench. Would we not have been better off buying that 1st choice keeper sooner instead of getting Pope?

Barnes wasn’t really needed when we bought Gordon 6 months beforehand, and RW is a massive weak spot for us.

we did at the time and the vast majority of fans were desperate to get him signed on. fucked with injuries.

at the time we needed burn and his level of player... he was never going to be long term hence us trying to bring in more defenders now. we were in a relegation battle.

again desperate for another striker due to the situation we were in. we got our money back.

Pope... we never knew he was gonna dislocate his shoulder. and at the time he was the best we could get for the price.

Barnes is decent back up. may be they culdnt get the quality RW that we needed, or we couldnt persuade them to come.

i think the recruitment has been fine.

no club ever gets a 100% hit rate but we've come close to it.

you're just so impatient.

we need to make changes gradually and also according to the financial and footballing position we find ourselves in. we might have gone for players but been turned down due to geography, wages or any number of things.

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Club’s aim is top six and to go deep in all domestic cups but with no European distractions its maybe a season you target a UCL place.

The one thing I’d like to see us improve on is the big away game mentality and improving our records at Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad and Stamford Bridge. Zero point return this season and only three point return the season prior from 15. Makes all the difference at the top when the points swing the other way. 

One away win each against Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and City in the PL era is beyond absymal. No matter how good or bad we've been in the past they all seem to turn it on against us when it matters, whilst the likes of Palace and Brighton often seem to catch them on off days.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beth said:

One away win each against Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and City in the PL era is beyond absymal. No matter how good or bad we've been in the past they all seem to turn it on against us when it matters, whilst the likes of Palace and Brighton often seem to catch them on off days.

Do they turn it on or do we simply not have that big game mentality yet?

The CL may have gone a long way to helping with that if not for the powers that be wanting PSG there instead of us.

And I can’t hold anything against Palace s they were playing well as when they beat us they’d also beaten Liverpool I believe then Man U straight after, credit where it’s due.

Edited by Gawalls

Goals for next season:

- 70 points (should get top 5?)

- Win at least 1 of the 4 games against Man City and Liverpool

- Regain our ability to go unbeaten against all of the bottom half.