2 hours ago, LRD said:

Mamardashvili   1.99m

Burn                   1.98m

Adarabioyo       1.96m

Botman             1.93m

Isak                   1.92m

Pope                 1.92m

Building a team of giants.

But will we get the “Average height top dogs” trophy though?

17 minutes ago, NSG said:

If he’s on a 5 year deal and it’s £35m then it’s £7m a year, but only a few weeks would hit this year so you’re maybe looking £100k or so by the time the deal is done.

Looking at our accounting policies I think that is right, but unless it is beneficial to either club to conclude on June (don’t see it here) then it would be a July transfer 

What's he like with his long pass ability? 

Having one who's really good would be perfect for Isak and Gordon to run onto against a high pressing team.

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  It’s an area where we could clearly use an upgrade.

Along with centre forward it’s the position on the pitch which is most important to get right.  A top goalkeeper can win almost as many points as a top centre forward.  We conceded 60-odd league goals last season - where might we have finished with a truly first-rank goalie in nets? 

I’m still in a little bit of shock that we’re going in for someone at his level.  It’s good shock, mind :) 

Are we sure he's superior to Pope? About a calendar year ago people were calling Pope one of the best in the top flight (if not the world? As far as pure shot stopping goes?)

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  It’s an area where we could clearly use an upgrade.

Along with centre forward it’s the position on the pitch which is most important to get right.  A top goalkeeper can win almost as many points as a top centre forward.  We conceded 60-odd league goals last season - where might we have finished with a truly first-rank goalie in nets? 

I’m still in a little bit of shock that we’re going in for someone at his level.  It’s good shock, mind :) 

Why would we need to upgrade Nick Pope ?  That's the part that makes no sense to me. I just can't see us bringing in a GK at over £30m alongside Pope. And i can't see Pope leaving, just don't see that as happening, but you never know.

And you're right, it's a good shock if true with his ability.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Whether it's this guy or not, it looks almost certain we'll be bringing a first choice keeper in. 

Where's the evidence for that (if this guys sign, exhibit number one :lol:) ?  Pope's injury aside, he's done nowt wrong, and i don't see the need with our financial restraints for an expensive new number one GK. However, if Eddie thinks it, then I'm onboard.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Why would we need to upgrade Nick Pope ?  That's the part that makes no sense to me. I just can't see us bringing in a GK at over £30m alongside Pope. And i can't see Pope leaving, just don't see that as happening, but you never know.

Because he can’t kick a ball properly.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Most (myself included) didn't think we needed to upgrade dubravka when we signed Pope, but then saw the difference in quality it made to us as a team.

The club has said before that they will grab players they feel are good value, and being nearly a decade younger then Pope they probably see him as the long term successor, and it's better to get him for 30 Mil now the 50 Mil in a couple of years time. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Because he can’t kick a ball properly.

Yeah, that part is fair enough. Not overly worried about that at the moment myself. Imo we could spend the money in other areas, for now.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, wiseman said:

Most (myself included) didn't think we needed to upgrade dubravka when we signed Pope, but then saw the difference in quality it made to us as a team.

The club has said before that they will grab players they feel are good value, and being nearly a decade younger then Pope they probably see him as the long term successor, and it's better to get him for 30 Mil now the 50 Mil in a couple of years time. 

Fair points. I guess the financial gymnastics we need to do comes down the judgement calls on what positions. And as you say, £30m now rather than £50m is better. 

If it does happen, it'll show a ruthlessness in Eddie, i'm not sure we all see. 

Edited by Bimpy474

Posted (edited)

Oldest first-choice keepers in the league.

Neto : 33

Foderingham : 33

Sels : 32

Leno : 32

Pope : 32

Average age is definitely dropping massively compared to 10-15 years ago when the likes of Schwarzer, Friedel, James, Given, Howard were playing into their mid to late 30s based on shot-stopping ability alone. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wiseman said:

I think this is a big part of this equation. Much like Gordon/Hall/Tino/etc. If a good deal is there to be had on a target we’re going to jump on it regardless of if it’s an immediate need or not. 

Edited by cubaricho

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Average age is definitely dropping massively compared to 10-15 years ago when the likes of Friedel, James, Given, Howard were playing into their mid to late 30s based on shot-stopping ability alone. 

I wonder if part of the reason for this is that the ‘old guard’ generally aren’t as good with their feet which is in fashion now. Maybe in 10 years time the average age will creep up again when these top keepers who are also good with their feet are older. 

1 minute ago, Vaj said:

I wonder if part of the reason for this is that the ‘old guard’ generally aren’t as good with their feet which is in fashion now. Maybe in 10 years time the average age will creep up again when these top keepers who are also good with their feet are older. 

That's a good shout, that. 

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Average age is definitely dropping massively compared to 10-15 years ago when the likes of Schwarzer, Friedel, James, Given, Howard were playing into their mid to late 30s based on shot-stopping ability alone. 

Yup. Throw in his shoulder injuries and there's a chance we can't bank on Pope in the medium term. Ultimately we're probably going to need to buy a keeper in the next couple of years anyway. If a player they want is available now then it's best to act.

Buying a young understudy to a first choice is rarely the solution the way people suggest it - because young keepers need to be playing to develop but you don't really rotate. It's actually the one position where you usually need to be ruthless and upgrade. Just like we did with Pope 2 years ago.

21 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Yeah, that part is fair enough. Not overly worried about that at the moment myself. Imo we could spend the money in other areas, for now.

When we play out from the back this weakness sort of gets skipped over. But this season when teams have pressed us, he’s had to go long and you can just never be confident. I’m sure the stats can be found but I wouldn’t be shocked if 90% if his long kicks resulted in losing possession.

That’s a huge issue to sort.

Posted (edited)

I still think a top team has two quality keepers... Look how Man City's keeper come on and effectively won them the league (although I still think Son missed in purpose lol)

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

Is it not being skipped over that this Marmaduke bloke is also crap with the ball at his feet by all accounts? 

Not as bad as Pope with his passing. But that’s not a high bar to clear. 

21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I can't believe Leno is 32, I remember him being the next best thing! Crazy. Not relevant to the post - just showing my age.