Group A: 1. Germany, 2. Switzerland, 3. Hungary, 4. Scotland

Big River

22 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think Ben Brereton Diaz isn't being called up for Chile anymore as he's not learnt any Spanish

He's in the Chile squad for Copa America and played against Peru, so not that vital after all that he speak Spanish then :dontknow: 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

I wonder why fergie never had a go at Scotland manager after he retired from man utd? 

Why would he want to spend his golden years torturing himself? :lol:

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Agreed, you take a look at some other countries with similar populations and it’s hard to understand how Scotland produce such poor players 

Proximity to the most popular and lucrative league in the world something to do with it you'd think, but wouldn't know the specific reason. Best coaching talent goes to England?

8 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Love Eilidh Barbour mind, proper old school crushy stuff. Never got that with Nick Collins

Yeah, I think I first saw her presenting a National League game on BT a few years ago. I thought, 'Whoa, who's that?'

Cute as fuck.

Edited by DahnSahf
Punctuation

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Agreed, you take a look at some other countries with similar populations and it’s hard to understand how Scotland produce such poor players 

Using Norway as a comparison, we suffered from similar issues when Rosenborg won the league 13 seasons in a row. When you have one "good" team, that team essentially creates a monopoly when it comes to signing all the up and coming young players - meaning the nation as a whole end up losing out on tons of players that would've become at least half-decent footballers due to never making the grade and breaking through at the club with the monopoly. 

This is just an assumption as I am not too familiar with the Scottish league, but I can imagine something similar is going on in Scotland with Celtic and Rangers "hoovering" up all the talented young Scottish players, resulting in those not breaking through at those two clubs getting discarded without motivation left.

After Rosenborg started falling apart, other clubs in Norway have become great at bringing through young players - which has led to us having more quality players than we've ever had. Just a shame we refuse to hire a manager that know how to utilize the fact we have a golden generation of offensive minded/technically gifted players, instead refusing to sack one of the most defensive minded/kick the ball at the big striker managers in Norwegian football history :lol: :anguish: 

Edited by Kaizero

On 15/06/2024 at 14:28, leffe186 said:

…Hungary seem like they might be a bit whiny and petulant too, which could be fun.

Still seem a bit whiny and petulant tbh.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Szob is not a dynamic player like. His delivery is good but I agree that I really don’t think we’ve missed out there

I said at the time but many signings from Red Bull clubs are either flops or significantly overpriced. It's a dangerous market to get involved in imo.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

I said at the time but many signings from Red Bull clubs are either flops or significantly overpriced. It's a dangerous market to get involved in imo.

I don’t watch any football from the RB teams so I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to that. I do think Sesko and Baumgartner are two very good players though 

1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

That was said when he was left out of Chile's squad for two friendly matches - he's in their Copa America squad, and playing. 

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

I imagine he's started learning Spanish so the coach has decided to pick him again

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t watch any football from the RB teams so I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to that. I do think Sesko and Baumgartner are two very good players though 

They're basically a talent farm and scout good players but also have a very set style of play and ingrained footballing culture. This gives a good platform for players to develop but means they can struggle outside of that bubble. And the ownership means they will always ask for very good money for players. The combination of this means there is often not the value there that clubs perceive.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, joeyt said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

I imagine he's started learning Spanish so the coach has decided to pick him again

Just inferring that it couldn't have mattered that much, as he played in the matches before those two friendlies and has played in all the matches after. He'll not have learnt Spanish in under two months, and the guy is a Villareal player :dontknow: 

Was meant as a dig at what the Chile manager said, not at you for posting it.

Schar Utd are class though overall. Really enjoyed this tournament so far. Less glamorous names like Switzerland, Austria and Romania have been excellent to watch.