James Trafford

Getting him on a loan now before his value potentially skyrockets after a season makes sense.

None of our back-up keepers inspire confidence at all and Eddie has, quite rightly, identified that Oddy is essentially just a dude wearing goalkeeping gloves.

Pope’s kicking yesterday will have been something even Howe will reluctantly acknowledge now as a massive problem. Every single kick out gave them possession of the ball.

But what’s frustrating is that he’ll probably sign Trafford and leave him on the fucking bench for 3 months.

8 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Makes a lot of sense to get an actually capable number 2. We all know the Forest lad was a PSR favour signing… he’ll head out on loan.

I'm not convinced Trafford can yet be called capable as a PL goalkeeper. 

Edited by Barnes23

5 minutes ago, KDT said:

Vlad leaves on loan, Dubravka on a permanent. Trafford becomes number 2 with an eye to taking over from Pope in a year or so, Ruddy becomes what he joined for (3rd choice and English qualified) & Gillespie continues to have the best job in the world.

Perfectly happy with all that.

I still cringe seeing Dubravka on the bench when it happens.

Trafford is good with the ball, and is good coming off his line to sweep too I believe. Also a fantastic shot stopper.

His issue is his physicality at times, but if he struggles with that badly when called upon, we'll have Ruddy as insurance.

We can make a bit of money loaning out Odysseas, as he's of a decent enough calibre to at least get some loan money for.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Pope’s kicking yesterday will have been something even Howe will reluctantly acknowledge now as a massive problem. Every single kick out gave them possession of the ball.

But what’s frustrating is that he’ll probably sign Trafford and leave him on the fucking bench for 3 months.

Wonder what it would take to trigger some urgency for a RW?

3 minutes ago, Menace said:

How bad must the Greek be :lol: Christ.  And people on here were talking about his 100 appearances for Benfica.

I just think we really want Trafford long term.

Vlachodimos was just a necessary evil, that we can make some money off of with loans.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

I know Vlad was just a money deal with Forest, but why Ruddy? Vlad and Dubravka surely got to go now?

Ruddy replaces Karius. Trafford replaces Dubs. Vlachodimos enables us to keep Bruno. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ruddy replaces Karius. Trafford replaces Dubs. Vlachodimos enables us to keep Bruno

And Gillespie. Its four. Quite a lot of keepers. Gordon.

Edited by nufc123

Again this is why part of me actually wishes we had just got a big fee early on for one of blue chip players tbh. We'd have got breathing room to go straight out and buy 4-5 first choice players to address all the major positions.

Instead we're kind of scrambling around unsure which gaps to plug, and waiting to the last week of the window to see which opportunities arrive for how best to allocate the funds we do have. It may be that we've moved for this purely because the right wing options have all closed up, and this one has become a potential goer on favourable payment terms ala Hall.

Controversial maybe but I hope we just bite the bullet and sell somebody big next summer. It's shite that PSR encourages this but it's probably our best bet of getting value from our new recruitment set up.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, nufc123 said:

:thup: Still a lot goalkeepers

Not really. Pope the man, Trafford the sub/apprentice, Ruddy the emergency backstop that fills the English quota and can help develop Trafford and Gillespie because he’s a nice smiley geordie and I imagine you need 4 keepers for training purposes.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Sensible deal if he plays there this season.

If we're looking to loan him then we won't be able to send him back or anywhere else this season

Just now, McCormick said:

Gillespie is just there to fulfill a homegrown quota isn’t he? 

He’s not homegrown at NUFC, just homegrown English, same as Ruddy.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Not really. Pope the man, Trafford the sub/apprentice, Ruddy the emergency backstop that fills the English quota and can help develop Trafford and Gillespie because he’s a nice smiley geordie and I imagine you need 4 keepers for training purposes.

I mean I would rather have Trafford on the bench instead of Vlad. Dont get me wrong. Its scary if Pope gets injured.

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Yeah, think it all makes perfect sense tbh :thup:

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Don't think a year on our bench is going to help his development much

If yesterday is anything to go by, it might not take that long tbf.