James Trafford

For as 'limited' as Pope is, there's really not many out there at the moment that would be a here and now upgrade. I think we're all understimating Pope and overestimating the availability of goalkeepers. Granted, I personally thing Pope no longer has a left arm, but hey. 

I like this move, and have no problem with it at all.

Talented young goalie being brought along behind Pope is good planning.

Old man Ruddy as the third keeper and wise old head.

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

If we sign another bastard keeper and nothing else I'll be fuming.

It’s a key position we need to upgrade. Pope’s kicking invites so much pressure back on us. It’s worse almost than the defenders who can’t play it out from the back.

Signing Trafford as one for the future is a good move. Hopefully we’d then loan him out for regular minutes or he’d slot in as the #2 and allow us to shift Dubs.

10 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

I'd do it for THE BANTZ as the annoying twatfucks would say

10 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

We have one decent keeper.

7 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

How happy would you be with our options if, God forbid, Pope spends a significant time out? You saw last season the drop off from our no. 1 to our no. 2 and the points lost because of it. We’ve signed no one that can compete with/ oust Dubravka for that back up role.

It’s not looking good on the rw and cb front so why leave money on the table and not solve another squad issue?

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I like this move, and have no problem with it at all.

Talented young goalie being brought along behind Pope is good planning.

Old man Ruddy as the third keeper and wise old head.

It’d be a decent signing but bringing in another keeper and no CH or RW it wouldn’t half rile a few up :lol:

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

How happy would you be with our options if, God forbid, Pope spends a significant time out? You saw last season the drop off from our no. 1 to our no. 2 and the points lost because of it. We’ve signed no one that can compete with/ oust Dubravka for that back up role.

It’s not looking good on the rw and cb front so why leave money on the table and not solve another squad issue?

If we make a sensible signing in a position we need cover for I’ll be fuming.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’d be a decent signing but bringing in another keeper and no CH or RW it wouldn’t half rile a few up :lol:

Yeah, I know. And that's unfortunate really.

Looking at it completely separately from all that though, I like the move.

16 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s a key position we need to upgrade. Pope’s kicking invites so much pressure back on us. It’s worse almost than the defenders who can’t play it out from the back.

Well we now have 5 keepers. 3 who have been signed knowing full well they will never play. Adding yet another now reeks of incompetence or some financial chicanery we are not privy too. If we needed Ruddy as an influence, then what's the point in Gillespie who was brought in for that? 

And who knows about Odysseus with his ever increasing fee

8 minutes ago, Playmaker said:

More importantly, can he kick it to the right wing?

Can he make amazing saves with his feet - so good that everyone will take him for granted and zoom in on just his negatives, quickly forgetting how many points we dropped last season when he wasn’t in goal?

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Can he make amazing saves with his feet - so good that everyone will take him for granted and zoom in on just his negatives, quickly forgetting how many points we dropped last season when he wasn’t in goal?

It was just a joke, I love nick Pope and feel really reassured when he’s in goal. 

Edited by Playmaker

Not on board with Trafford. Guy needs a season or two minimum playing and making mistakes as he learns. Sitting on our bench all season does him no good. If it was signed and loaned back to Burnley it’s about tolerable. But having him on our bench isn’t really succession planning for post Pope. It’s just a younger squad goalkeeper compared to Dubravka/Greek guy. 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

I wouldn't be happy at all but I wouldn't have signed Ruddy or the greek bloke. I'd have bought Ramsdale for 18 million like Southampton are.  He has similar limitations to Pope with regards to distribution but about the same if not better in all other areas.