Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Strawberry

17 minutes ago, STM said:

Yes but how many with your captain hindsight cap off?

Botman is a unbelievable player, who had no injury record to speak of, you really holding that against them?

Tonali, even if we lose a year on him, was heralded as an absolutely insane capture. :lol: If he turns out shite, its very difficult for them to have seen that coming.

Targett was perhaps a safe signing that they probably already regret but at that time the landscape was different.

Barnes is a good player but yes, I agree, it may look like we went for a player in the wrong position.

You've missed the only obvious bad signing: Chris Wood. Who still served a purpose and we got a fair wedge back.

Barnes has been class every time he's been healthy, though?

19 minutes ago, STM said:

Tonali, even if we lose a year on him, was heralded as an absolutely insane capture. :lol: If he turns out shite, its very difficult for them to have seen that coming.

This ain’t true. Lots of reservations about his ceiling and price. Nowhere near as unanimous as when we bought Bruno, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Funtime Frankie said:

Not every game, he has been quiet a few of his matches. 

Quiet enough to question the deal?

17 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Almost as bad at that daft lad who held Schar missing 2 games of the season against him, and accused him of faking it.

This country.

You know what's cute... you remember my name. 

Love you Ronny. 😍 

It’s clearly a one where we are trying to exploit the situation once again to get a deal. Last year of contract and poor form, getting him for £15-20m would be decent. He would offer a plan B with his strength in the air and is IMO decent in general play.

Getting a back up for Isak won’t be easy and while I would prefer someone younger with a higher ceiling, I wouldn’t hate signing him if the price is right.

Edited by Pata

48 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did I just see DCL compared with Riviere? :lol:

No. If you did you clearly misunderstood the post.

Rivere was a gamble that no one actually knew would work or not. Obviously it didn't.

DCL is a clear and obvious accident waiting to happen for us. A not particularly great player with a terrible injury record joing the team with the worst history of injuries in recent history 

Just now, gjohnson said:

Rivere was a gamble that no one actually knew would work or not. Obviously it didn't.

DCL is a clear and obvious accident waiting to happen for us. A not particularly great player with a terrible injury record joing the team with the worst history of injuries in recent history 

I definitely accept the injury record argument, but a not particularly great player? Bearing in mind he'd be brought in to play second fiddle or be a plan B, you would think Howe is confident he can unleash the DCL we saw under Ancelotti who, greatness or not aside, had a very good record. 

Ancelotti really rated him. Given Howe’s ability to transform players and get the best out of him, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a different player. 

Wouldn’t be happy about Minteh being part of a deal though if there is any shred of truth to it, which I am skeptical about.

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Nope, I don't understand this at all. He's been playing for one of the shittest, most dysfunctional teams in the history of the Premier League over the last few years, very difficult to say how this transfer would work out.

7 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Ancelotti really rated him. Given Howe’s ability to transform players and get the best out of him, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a different player. 

Wouldn’t be happy about Minteh being part of a deal though if there is any shred of truth to it, which I am skeptical about.

Yea, but if the 25M buyback is true they can see how does at this level and if he sucks and assuming it isn't a mandatory buyback they can move on. If he is a real talent they get him back. I rate DCL unlike some here but if the deal as mentioned earlier is the case I'd be OK with it. Lots of assumptions in that statement I made.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Yes but how many with your captain hindsight cap off?

Botman is a unbelievable player, who had no injury record to speak of, you really holding that against them?

Targett was perhaps a safe signing that they probably already regret but at that time the landscape was different.

Barnes is a good player but yes, I agree, it may look like we went for a player in the wrong position.

You've missed the only obvious bad signing: Chris Wood. Who still served a purpose and we got a fair wedge back.

Hindsight is the only way to judge whether a signing was any good or not - you can’t judge it before the player has played 

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hindsight is the only way to judge whether a signing was any good or not - you can’t judge it before the player has played 

Yes but surely you see the error in that judgement?

If we sign a clearly shit player and he turns out to be shite, fair cop but if we sign someone who is universally rated as a quality player, you can't then go mental if it doesn't work out?

Especially when there isn't a successfull club in history who hasn't a list of dud transfers.

It doesn't half feel like we narrow the field, just to make damn sure we have something to whinge about.

Our transfers so far have been excellent. Very little credit on this forum mind.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Yes but surely you see the error in that judgement?

If we sign a clearly shit player and he turns out to be shite, fair cop but if we sign someone who is universally rated as a quality player, you can't then go mental if it doesn't work out?

Especially when there isn't a successfull club in history who hasn't a list of dud transfers.

It doesn't half feel like we narrow the field, just to make damn sure we have something to whinge about.

Our transfers so far have been excellent. Very little credit on this forum mind.

I completely agree with what you’re saying re our transfer record.  Folks are of course able to criticise anything they want, but I’m at a loss as to the vitriol being poured over potential signings.  Howe’s and the transfer team’s record is pretty golden on incomings - if he sees something in DCL, we should back it.  I’m not cock-a-hoop over his prospective signing, but it’s far more important that Howe wants him rather than any misgivings from me. 

45 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Aye but your last paragraph has been debunked. 

He has been a very good player.

He played 38 games last season.

We've had a season of bad injuries, whether the club is culpable or not, do you not think they are trying to fix that or that they might know a touch more about sporting medicine that you? 

Edited by STM

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I completely agree with what you’re saying re our transfer record.  Folks are of course able to criticise anything they want, but I’m at a loss as to the vitriol being poured over potential signings.  Howe’s and the transfer team’s record is pretty golden on incomings - if he sees something in DCL, we should back it.  I’m not cock-a-hoop over his prospective signing, but it’s far more important that Howe wants him rather than any misgivings from me. 

Yeah, I just think it's a very small gamble. Financially it won't cost a lot.

Just now, STM said:

Aye but your last paragraph has been debunked. 

He has been a very good player.

He played 38 games last season.

We've had a season of bad injuries, whether the club is culpable or not, do you not think they are trying to fix that or that they might more a touch more about sporting medicine that you? 

I was disappointed he was hurt when Everton played a friendly in my hometown. I like the lad and hoped to see him play. Only Prem team I have ever seen live. As a total side note, I mentioned on here Gordon seemed to be the best player on the pitch that night despite the locals crushing Everton like 4-1 or something.

Edited by McDog

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Yeah, I just think it's a very small gamble. Financially it won't cost a lot.

From the Times would you be happy paying 37 million ?

Newcastle United are pushing ahead with their interest in the Everton forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin as they seek to bolster their forward options.

There has been contact between the clubs with regard to the future of Calvert-Lewin, who has 12 months remaining on his contract and is not minded to sign an extension. Everton are seeking about £37million if they are to sell the striker.

Everton have offered a new deal to the 27-year-old, but the uncertainty over the ownership of the club means there is little incentive for the forward to put pen to paper.