John Ruddy

gdm

So.

Pope - Odysseas - Ruddy - Gillespie?

Dubravka obviously on his bike. Must have put a pin in the Trafford signing for now as Odysseas was cheaper?

Someone has to be available on short notice for the hilarious training pitch segments our social media group will be posting on youtube throughout the season. One year deal. Sorted.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

The goalkeeping coach did his ACL towards the end of the season didn’t he? This might in part be about bolstering numbers on the training pitch.

That might go some way to explaining it. Seems like Ruddy does have his coaching badges so would make a lot of sense that he comes in as basically a coach.

Edit: just see the video, he's well aware why he's here and it's not to play games. He's a training keeper. 

Edited by Mazzy

1 minute ago, gdm said:

What? :lol: just hire a coach in a short term basis then. 

37 year old League One level goalkeeper, might well be comparable!

Just now, GeordieT said:

37 year old League One level goalkeeper, might well be comparable!

yes but why use up a squad place to replace an injured coach 

Just now, Fezzle said:

Every time I see his name I remember little John's wife in prince of thieves, sure she said it every line

Used to have great fun with my mates as a kid doing the whole 'John!' 'FAAAAAANNAAAAAY!' scene. Was a great way to get away with shouting the word fanny. :lol:

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think if Dubs goes we’ll probably be the same or slightly better off. 

Safe to say with psr constraints we are going to roll the dice on keepers til Jan at least. If we are in Europe we can go big for a long term deal

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Used to have great fun with my mates as a kid doing the whole 'John!' 'FAAAAAANNAAAAAY!' scene. Was a great way to get away with shouting the word fanny. :lol:

:lol: 

12 minutes ago, simonsays said:

So the Greek fella will be our new number two, I guess?

Yep makes more sense- didn't think he was signing as a no.3

Bet all the people on Twitter moaning about Trafford are wishing we’d just signed Trafford. I don’t have a problem signing Ruddy as cheap cover for the substitute keeper.

Vlachodimos couldn’t get a game ahead of Mats Sells. Astonishing. If we didn’t need to sell to Forest coz of PSR we’d never have signed him 

Zero qualms about this, probably a good bloke to have about the training pitch and a wealth of experience allowing him to be a coach in spirit if not in name, but it did make me think it's odd that we don't have any other early-20s futureless slab of flesh keepers in the academy that could at least serve as a target for Isak and pals to ping balls at on the training pitch.

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Blimey. :lol:

Guess we've another season of crossing everything that Pope stays fit.

Suspect he's off and we're spending quite big on his replacement therefore the cheap backups. Just sounds like more fun.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

Suspect he's off and we're spending quite big on his replacement therefore the cheap backups. Just sounds like more fun.

Could be right. 

The optics of these two happening as we sell is obviously shit for most but we haven't exactly weakened much if at all. Save what we have for more pressing issues

If we can't get a real top draw goalie I'd rather go with the greek and Ruddy for a year than get someone who isn't really good.

People here who've met him say he's a nice funny guy and he has been playing regularly in the Championship so it's not like he hasn't played for 5 years. Perfectly fine as a 3rd choice.

Alternatively if we do get Trafford he'd improve more out on loan than sitting on the bench, so it would give us enough goalies to do that.

23 minutes ago, GeordieT said:

Why?

Well the last 24 hours surely spell the end for any interest in Trafford.

Most likely is cheaper than Karius wages wise. And will play equal minutes (zero)