Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

12 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I feel like a nonce would've worked better here than cunt. :lol: 

The brief alliteration though, Cuba lad.

While I was obviously quite pleased that we hired Ashworth to sort out the mess our previous ownership left us in, he didn't strike me as someone who was culturally suited to the club. I know it's cliche to trot out the differences between Southern and Northern England, but he gave off the impression in some video footage of awkwardness and that he was off on his own. It was also apparent that Eddie didn't think much of The Constant Gardner and I'm sure had his input to the hire of Mitchell.

Mitchell's career from hard grafting pro to working his way up the ranks domestically feels more Newcastle to me. Even the clip of him, the guy screams northerner with that scruffy beard. :lol: 

Anyways, excited to have him on board and to see what impact he can provide over the summer and into the start of the season. 

11 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

While I was obviously quite pleased that we hired Ashworth to sort out the mess our previous ownership left us in, he didn't strike me as someone who was culturally suited to the club. I know it's cliche to trot out the differences between Southern and Northern England, but he gave off the impression in some video footage of awkwardness and that he was off on his own. It was also apparent that Eddie didn't think much of The Constant Gardner and I'm sure had his input to the hire of Mitchell.

Mitchell's career from hard grafting pro to working his way up the ranks domestically feels more Newcastle to me. Even the clip of him, the guy screams northerner with that scruffy beard. :lol: 

Anyways, excited to have him on board and to see what impact he can provide over the summer and into the start of the season. 

Sure seems to be in the mold you've described. Both domestically and across Europe. Seems like a real coup.

37 minutes ago, Disco said:

How long until we get angry about this?

Until we sign an English, Premier League proven player. Howe will have too much influence.

This has really helped to calm my nerves after that seemingly chaotic final week of June. I have no idea how much of that was legitimate and how much was just press freak-outs. Doesn't really matter to me at this stage. 

Signing Paul Mitchell is a real statement of intent, to me on par with signing Kieran Trippier in that first January window when we were still very much in danger. It showed the power of our project and the attractiveness of the club and gave us a level of seriousness that was essential. This is the same thing. We're coming off a disappointing season, no Europe, PSR issues, etc etc and yet we've managed to attract one of the biggest names in football recruitment circles. It gives us an enormous boost and shows potential players how serious we still are about all of this. 

1 hour ago, The Bonk said:

Was it apparent that Howe didn't think much of him?

I've heard that there was some tension over some players. Well, one. I think there was something about Ashworth  wanting to sell JoeLinton. 

Was there anything else that I completely missed?

I've wondered about Howe's reluctance to give Hall any minutes. Yeah, he was shaky. but eveyone else was injured or tired, and Hall couldn't get a sniff. Long wondered if there were Ashworth transfers that Howe didn't really want.

13 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Was it apparent that Howe didn't think much of him?

I've heard that there was some tension over some players. Well, one. I think there was something about Ashworth  wanting to sell JoeLinton. 

Was there anything else that I completely missed?

I've wondered about Howe's reluctance to give Hall any minutes. Yeah, he was shaky. but eveyone else was injured or tired, and Hall couldn't get a sniff. Long wondered if there were Ashworth transfers that Howe didn't really want.

It was Ashworth’s body language (yes, I know it’s a reach) and general demeanour that didn’t feel quite a fit to me. He literally couldn’t wait to leave as soon as Ratcliffe came calling.

Eddie didn’t deflect or go out of his way to defend Ashworth. The working relationship felt very “you do you and I will do me”, whereas Mitchell and Eddie both had short careers, but are workaholics obsessed with the game and progressing their knowledge, ability, etc.

I honestly think we got our guy and Man United got theirs at the end of the day. Ashworth suits them cunts and Ratcliffe, while I personally feel Mitchell is a better fit for us.

Time will obviously tell, but I can’t wait to see what our northern scruff does for us. 

@gazza ladra feel like Eddie was protecting Hall and letting him work his way into the squad and starting line up.

Look how good the lad was when he had Howe’s full support, trust and confidence. 

Mitchell seems to have a similar philosophy, so I trust them both completely until there’s reason not to.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Non-paywall: https://archive.ph/POpQD

things you love to see

Good to see this confirmed:

Key to Mitchell’s remit will be a much more hands-on role in the club’s recruitment, which is now described as an area in which Ashworth was unable to contribute greatly.

I think Man Utd could have done us a huge favour.  We had ashworth for near a couple years where he could do his overal shaping of the structure.  Carrying in we’d see demonising returns from that.  Get paid 10 million for him. Now get someone who can be far more hands on with the recruitment.  

Maybe in a different world we could have had both of them but given he didn’t end up at Man Utd maybe Mitchell would not have come for that role. 

I’m over the moon with this appointment. First bit of really good news in a while. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

10 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I think Man Utd could have done us a huge favour.  We had ashworth for near a couple years where he could do his overal shaping of the structure.  Carrying in we’d see demonising returns from that.  Get paid 10 million for him. Now get someone who can be far more hands on with the recruitment.  

Maybe in a different world we could have had both of them but given he didn’t end up at Man Utd maybe Mitchell would not have come for that role. 

I’m over the moon with this appointment. First bit of really good news in a while. 

Ashworth was a logical appointment for us at the time given how hollowed out we were, we needed someone to put structures into place which hadn’t existed for years if ever. Man United already have those in place and seem to struggle in the market so it’s an odd appointment for them imo. 

26 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I agree, everything has fallen out perfectly :)

Think everything has been said. But one part I espacially liked when reading about this was that he seems to have been working behind the scens a bit already. It will be very intresting if this more "hands on" approch will give us a different type of targets. because I think we have looked a little bit to much in the PL.

Really exitecd :D

Posted (edited)

"Real Gs move in silence like lasanga"

Obviously not going to argue they have hit every mark and decision (though there is definitely more success than failures) - but 3 years on it is still refreshing to just have professionals in charge.  

The only time Ashley pulled this kind of move without it being leaked to the world was Kinnears 2nd stint. 

Edited by Pandamninator