Paul Mitchell (Sporting Director)

Just now, andycap said:

He's not had an interview yet at the club. With Staveley leaving its put a bit of a dampener on this news. Could the club not have waited a week or two. 

How’s it put a dampener on it?

1 minute ago, andycap said:

He's not had an interview yet at the club. With Staveley leaving its put a bit of a dampener on this news. Could the club not have waited a week or two. 

No statement from the club yet confirming Stavely is selling?

Perhaps the interview was delayed with this in mind? With a bit of discussion around the structure going forward. I trust he'd have been aware of it before joining the club...

7 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

No statement from the club yet confirming Stavely is selling?

Nah, the Times reporting they're expected to release a statement this week.

It was reported that Saudi got directly involved in the hiring of Mitchell, wasn't it? Brings up interesting questions around the timing of Staveley going because presumably he will assume some of the responsibilities she and Mehrdad had.

This might have been announced early as a cushion to the blow of Mandy leaving. The club evidencing to supporters that everything is going according to plan. Would explain why Mitch hasn't given an interview yet

Does make me wonder if this was a factor in Freedman getting cold feet about the job. Which would be understandable, even if everything is fine and going to plan.

1 hour ago, Bunk Moreland said:

It was reported that Saudi got directly involved in the hiring of Mitchell, wasn't it? Brings up interesting questions around the timing of Staveley going because presumably he will assume some of the responsibilities she and Mehrdad had.

Aren’t they directly involved in everything? Everything has to be signed off by them.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aren’t they directly involved in everything? Everything has to be signed off by them.

I meant Mandy and Mehrdad were responsible for the day-to-day aspects of running the club up to and including negotiating transfers, hiring key personnel and managing our PSR obligations - whereas the PIF involvement was more around setting budgets, providing corporate oversight etc. I get the impression Saudi might want to be more involved in those aspects of running the club now, or at least have their own people (like Mitchell) doing so.

1 minute ago, BeloEmre said:

Mitchell coming to town?

Geed up, let's get some crazy sponsors announced and see the EPL in court 

Great to be making progress in this area. For anyone else who was unsure, I'm assuming this description of the role I found on Google is accurate:

"The performance director is the person inside a club or a federation in charge of overseeing the different performance departments of the club such as sports science, medical, nutrition, S&C or analytics, in order to ensure the players' optimal fitness and performance on the game day"

Sounds like exactly what we need. Assume he'll be spending time shoring up these functions within the club.