Paul Mitchell

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It seems to me he’s deflecting the blame on Howe, I’ve only read the Hope article so far, are the others the same ?

They all have a slightly different spin, but I do feel the Hope version does feel (probably deliberately) more pointed.

Edited by The Prophet

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But I mean, under Howe we have signed plenty from abroad. Did he not want Botman, Bruno and Isak? 

I would guess that overseas signings for the first team squad are at around 25% of our signings under Howe.

I can’t think of another Premier League manager that has a similar signings ratio to players with PL experience.

“It should not be lobbied against ambition because if we just spend, spend, spend, spend once again, we become accountable to that by penalties, fines and points deductions and that isn’t good leadership, that isn’t being a good custodian of the club, that isn’t taking your role responsibly, you’re being negligent. That is only for one thing, it’s for your ego. We’re not going to do that.“

Is that aimed at Amanda and Mehrdad? 

Just now, Matt1892 said:

I would guess that overseas signings for the first team squad are at around 25% of our signings under Howe.

I can’t think of another Premier League manager that has a similar signings ratio to players with PL experience.

I can’t be bothered to work that out but the point is we have made some brilliant signings from abroad. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They all have a slightly different spin, but I do feel the Hope version does feel (probably deliberately) more pointed.

Aye no surprise there, I’m happy he did the interview just felt some of the comments where unnecessary tbh.

Seems like a joined up clever approach to teamwork, recruitment is vital when budgets are involved, just look at Man Utd, I'm not worried, in fact I reckon Howe is fully on board with this, I reckon we might go big in January.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I can’t be bothered to work that out but the point is we have made some brilliant signings from abroad. 

Nobody is saying we haven’t. In fact, the signings we have made from abroad and the value of those players should be used as a reason to do it more often.

3 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Who would have thought a scouting network of Andy Howe wouldn’t be enough

We pulled Isak, Bruno, Botman and Tonali from somewhere. Even Gordon wasn’t really a proven PL player and was seriously undervalued. 

We’ve actually never really made a signing like Guehi, which is why I thought it was a solid plan for a position we needed to cover for a decade. Rather than reflection of our normal approach to signings. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’ll start giving him some credit if and when we bring in these quality players from Europe and other markets at good prices but Howe is far more important to us than him. Does Howe need to be flexible when it comes to player recruitment, possibly or even probably but everything Mitchell does has to be about finding a way of working for Howe. There’s compromise needed on both sides but it’s Mitchell’s job to work for Howe (even if he is his boss) and Howe’s job to let him do the work for him. They’ll take a while to trust each other but I’m going to take some convincing on Mitchell for sure and that’ll only come with repeated successful windows 

Infrastructure takes time! We went from nothing existing to now having people with pedigree in key positions moving the club forward and operating more efficiently than Ashley and Thumbheed ever did. Mitchell started in July, man, the time to roast him is probably a year from now. The worst aspect of our takeover and unexpected success is the immediacy to which everyone now wants change or sustained progression. We outperformed our targets too soon in many ways, which is great, but has now created some angst or frustration in our support. What I do love is the passion, we all have it back. ‎❤️

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

Probably looking at the players we have signed – and we’ve signed some really good players – could we say that some of those players, potentially, cost more money than they should have done in the market at that current context? You probably could have that argument and discussion.

Chris Wood aside, have we really over paid for anyone?

27 minutes ago, J7 said:

Surely that Eales job, not his.

Aye, but if your a competent journalist and you have 90 mins surely you would at least ask what the plans are 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Talking about overpaying for some of your current players is an interesting way to go about things.

Referenced himself in the third person. Giant red flag.

It’s interesting because we’ve underpaid for Gordon, Isak and Bruno by a decent margin 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

It’s interesting because we’ve underpaid for Gordon, Isak and Bruno by a decent margin 

That leaves Tonali, Hall and Barnes…

Edited by Ronson333

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Aye no surprise there, I’m happy he did the interview just felt some of the comments where unnecessary tbh.

I get what you mean. For example...

Howe said in July that for him to be happy at the club, the new working dynamic with Mitchell and performance director James Bunce had to be right. On the addition of Bunce, Mitchell added: ‘I would like to believe someone as smart and intelligent as Eddie Howe would recognise quality wherever it came from. We’ve got to keep building that into our infrastructure.

‘That goes for scouting as well. I think good players are becoming harder to find because scouting is so competitive. But I think Eddie recognises good players and he also recognises this club is evolving to be bigger, and bigger and bigger. If you look at the super clubs, their infrastructure, their recruitment, they don’t just look at one market only. 

Feels pointed and a bit condescending. Obviously we can't hear how it was delivered though.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Suspect he's alluding to the hype inflation on Guehi after the euros etc.

Gordon thankfully didn't have that.

Just now, lovejoy said:

possible barnes and hall? remains to be seen of course.

Hall was who I was thinking of.

He might go on to be a quality player worth far more than we paid but he is a player we should have been able to pick up for cheaper than what we paid.

Just now, The Prophet said:

I get what you mean. For example...

Howe said in July that for him to be happy at the club, the new working dynamic with Mitchell and performance director James Bunce had to be right. On the addition of Bunce, Mitchell added: ‘I would like to believe someone as smart and intelligent as Eddie Howe would recognise quality wherever it came from. We’ve got to keep building that into our infrastructure.

‘That goes for scouting as well. I think good players are becoming harder to find because scouting is so competitive. But I think Eddie recognises good players and he also recognises this club is evolving to be bigger, and bigger and bigger. If you look at the super clubs, their infrastructure, their recruitment, they don’t just look at one market only. 

Feels pointed and a bit condescending. Obviously we can't hear how it was delivered though.

Aye it definitely doesn’t come across great. Hopefully nothing in it.

I found it a weird interview tbh. Blame for Guehi seemed to be deflected onto Howe and he seems to be saying we have no modern recruitment structure in place, yet this is what Dan Ashworth was supposed to be good at.

But whatever, all you can do is judge the transfer windows and there is an acknowledgment that this one didn’t go well.

Just now, lovejoy said:

possible barnes and hall? remains to be seen of course.

Forgot about Hall but point I’m making is some could even argue we got Bruno, Tonali & Gordon on the cheap end of the scale and Isak looks a bargain too