Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

27 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Kane reckons tired legs :lol:

He's not wrong on his part mind. Seen quicker leg amputee's.

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Give me this Spain team over the 2010-2012 class btw, the most boring side I've ever seen, regardless of quality.

Agreed. This side might have limited talent compared to that generation, but they absolutely deserved it and played by far the best football this tournament. Ridiculous to suggest anything else, dominant from the first game. Beating Croatia, Italy, France, Germany and England says it all.

Extremely well coached side that were willing to attack, something that is basically frowned upon in international football nowadays. For me its the best winning side since France 2018 (which played horrendous football). Better than the Portugal side that won or even the last Italian side. Don’t share the sentiment that they were there for the taking at all. Truly well deserved. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm sorry but we should have won that. I didn't think that at all against Italy. That Spanish team are not a team you normally see win European championships. I'll still defend him broadly but this is on Southgate, it's just how these things unfold when they don't work out.

Defend Southgate?

This tournament, England have had no structure and no plan.   It is individual bits of skill that have saved his skin and allowed England to progress to the final.    The team dont pass, they defend in a low block but have no outlet as Kane is like a waddling duck and there has been no left wing at all.    Southgate's subs you can predict as he hasn't a clue or is just too stubborn.     At 1-1 his subs were going to be Trippier and Gallacher.    

Southgate has reached the end of the road, as has Kane and others.

Not as much as you clearly [emoji38]

I know my football.  Backed Spain before a ball was kicked.  They are a great team.  £75 I won.  You?

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Fucking gutted really. First tournament as a single dad with these kids, just had 40 minutes of the biggest tears from my son, crying about all sorts. Poor little boy, football is fucking cruel

That was us in 96 :lol:

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Fucking gutted really. First tournament as a single dad with these kids, just had 40 minutes of the biggest tears from my son, crying about all sorts. Poor little boy, football is fucking cruel

Might as well get used to it

4 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Its all based on this weasel and his England DNA

image.thumb.png.612ef08a3c831a93b3829af15f669a71.png

The plan was to have a structure so that it didnt matter who was coaching the team as they were just a souless cog in a bigger machine. The natural progression for the plan would be promoting from within and Lee Carsley taking over

Then he's fucking failed so far....As we've experienced.

Flatters to deceive, the cunt.

On paper Southgate has done a great job. 2 finals, a semi and a quarter final. 

However, whilst I appreciate football isn’t played on paper, some of the draws he’s had in the tournaments have been favourable to say the least. He’s also had some top quality players at his disposal. 

Recently he has dropped some of the underperformers from the squad but he done it too close to this tournament imo and then in the tournament he has been stubborn as fuck and completely misused his squad. 

Feel a better manager would’ve won something, but maybe I’m being harsh. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

All the fault of the teams they played because they were so good 

Under Del Bosque they were slow, methodical, anti-football merchants who used technical ability to dominant possession to such a degree that it was effectively impossible for a football match to actually break out. This continued pretty much up to 2022 with increasing ineffectiveness tbh.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this team. Scored more goals, played with vigour and pace and generally very entertaining. Well done to them.

1 minute ago, ToonToon said:

Defend Southgate?

This tournament, England have had no structure and no plan.   It is individual bits of skill that have saved his skin and allowed England to progress to the final.    The team dont pass, they defend in a low block but have no outlet as Kane is like a waddling duck and there has been no left wing at all.    Southgate's subs you can predict as he hasn't a clue or is just too stubborn.     At 1-1 his subs were going to be Trippier and Gallacher.    

Southgate has reached the end of the road, as has Kane and others.

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm sorry but we should have won that. I didn't think that at all against Italy. That Spanish team are not a team you normally see win European championships. I'll still defend him broadly but this is on Southgate, it's just how these things unfold when they don't work out.

Spain are better than that Italy and have had a great tournament. Spain should have beaten Italy in the last Euros too

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Give me this Spain team over the 2010-2012 class btw, the most boring side I've ever seen, regardless of quality.

Clueless.

5 minutes ago, andycap said:

He won the euro u21s tournament last year wasn't scared to experiment with certain players in different positions. 

He'd be another bootlicking lickspittle.

30 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

It is hard to understand what happened with Kane in this tournament. Does he simply refuse to stop coming deep and play in his proper position? Maybe he is incapable of playing as a true #9 at this point of his career. It cannot have been a tactical decision to have no presence upfront and one of best finishers in world consistently nowhere near goal scoring positions.

I've asked the same questions all tournament. I've seen these tendencies in previous international tournaments too, so I suspect it's a Southgate thing.

4 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

What this totally misses is that England now have elite players.

Back in 2018 Southgate did well with a deeply average squad, he did a great job. But he has failed to get the best out of the talent England now have.

England genuinely had a better squad than Italy in 2021 and Spain today, but in both finals Italy and Spain deserved their victories - that’s why the manager is responsible 

Tbh, I seriously dispute the idea that England did not have a squad of elite players throughout the 90, 00's and early '10s when the team was achieving much worse results than under Southgate. It is the same with France and Deschamps. These teams are inherently full of high level talent, but the results had generally been messy and inconsistent in terms of achievements before these managers arrived. Both of them are high level managers in the international game imo, but both should also be replaced at this point.

Under Del Bosque they were slow, methodical, anti-football merchants who used technical ability to dominant possession to such a degree that it was effectively impossible for a football match to actually break out. This continued pretty much up to 2022 with increasing ineffectiveness tbh.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this team. Scored more goals, played with vigour and pace and generally very entertaining. Well done to them.

If the teams this Spain team played paid as much respect to them as 2008 to 2012 Spain it would have been a terrible match and they wouldn't have even been there imo.