Final: England 1-2 Spain

Disco

Shearer saying you couldn't and shouldn't drop your captain and record goal scorer, confirming that he wouldn't if he was in Southgate's place. It's exactly why England doesn't win anything. You can't live on the past or pick players by name over form. Kane shouldn't have been playing for most of the games, certainly nowhere the minutes he had. We had better options for several positions, but continued to setup to accommodate certain players instead of playing tactically and to our strengths... I think it's why I'm becoming ever increasingly 'meh' over mens international football. When you have professionals and supposed experts, most of whom the FA seem to value the opinion of, saying they'd stick with clearly failing aspects, it's time to move on - madness being repeating the same actions and expecting a different outcome.

19 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Shearer saying you couldn't and shouldn't drop your captain and record goal scorer, confirming that he wouldn't if he was in Southgate's place. It's exactly why England doesn't win anything. You can't live on the past or pick players by name over form. Kane shouldn't have been playing for most of the games, certainly nowhere the minutes he had. We had better options for several positions, but continued to setup to accommodate certain players instead of playing tactically and to our strengths... I think it's why I'm becoming ever increasingly 'meh' over mens international football. When you have professionals and supposed experts, most of whom the FA seem to value the opinion of, saying they'd stick with clearly failing aspects, it's time to move on - madness being repeating the same actions and expecting a different outcome.

He also said you needed legs around him i.e. Gordon and Palmer..

the fact we didn't try this at least once is criminal.

Even if it was to allow kane to find them like he used to find Son at spurs 

The irony is that peak Southgate was against Spain in that Nations League game and Kane was sensational putting balls into the channels for his runners, Sterling and Rashford. We had even less possession in that game as well, we had 29% possession in the first half and we were 3-0 up after half an hour. Very different teams but we didn't even attempt anything like that plan last night, nobody attempted to run off Kane at any point last night or any game in the tournament really, very frustrating.

Lot of talk about Kane's not fit, his legs have gone etc etc. I've heard all that before about Kane. Bet you he's got 10 goals/assists for Bayern before the end of September with Sane, Musiala and Olise buzzing around him.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

If they expand to a 32 team Euros they'd have to completely change qualifying imo. Make it so the teams who got through to at least the last 16 of the previous Euros don't need to qualify. Making Spain, France, England, Germany etc etc go through an entire qualifying campaign to get to a 32 team Euros would be a farce. 

Yeah that would pretty much go without saying. Basically how the Rugby World Cup qualifying works. 

Or - and I think this would possibly be even better - you do it how Asian qualifying works where they have a joint system for both Asian Cup and World Cup Qualifying. Phase 1 would wittle down the teams to 32 (who qualify for the Euros), and then phase 2 narrows it down to the now 16 that will go to the 46 team World Cup. That could reduce the amount of qualifying games teams play overall. It does basically mean that smaller teams can be fucked straight away and effectively lose an entire cycle of qualifying opportunity though. That's a big issue with Asian/Concacaf in that smaller nations can go 4 years without meaningful footy. You'd probably need to set up a secondary Euros or Nations League style competition for minnows.

Edited by ponsaelius

Shearer looks at Kane and sees himself circa 2001, when Shearer had had his big injuries and people started to ask questions. For shearer the manager dropped a load of pace around him, opened up space and he went back to scoring. For Kane, as others have said, this has already happened!

I think a big reason Kane is getting flack instead of not going to Southgate is Kane is playing abroad so people haven’t seen him scoring week in week out. Nobody in Germany will be saying his legs have gone or he’s past it, and if he was still on MoTD every week be same here.

Everyone could see the change needed for England to play Kane; genuine width and pace upfront. That means dropping either Foden or Bellingham to bring that in. If you must play Foden and Bellingham then the runs into the channels have to come from the striker and that can’t then be Kane. Management is about decisions and this is the one that was bottled.

IMO Foden should have came out for Gordon and Kane remained, but other solutions are available, England didn’t pick any of them though

You’re giving Kane a lot of credit and blaming Southgate for Kane’s performances rather than for the fact Southgate played him. Kane was second to every ball, he lost the majority of aerial duels, his movement to find space was awful. These are all things that aren’t just down to shape, they were down to him either carrying an injury or him being exhausted. I don’t think his body is completely done yet but he was no better than Chris Wood when he was at Newcastle, in fact, he offered less 

13 minutes ago, gbandit said:

You’re giving Kane a lot of credit and blaming Southgate for Kane’s performances rather than for the fact Southgate played him. Kane was second to every ball, he lost the majority of aerial duels, his movement to find space was awful. These are all things that aren’t just down to shape, they were down to him either carrying an injury or him being exhausted. I don’t think his body is completely done yet but he was no better than Chris Wood when he was at Newcastle, in fact, he offered less 

Worse than Chris Wood.  Chris Wood competed physically and won his fair share. Kane didn’t. 

Players like Walker, Rice, Foden, Kane playing badly must accept responsibility for their own performances too.  

Wonder if he was ever tempted to try the front 6 everyone else wanted or was in such a mindset that it was the last thing he would ever do.

Gordon   Kane.   Saka/palmer

foden.  Bellingham 

Rice 

I can't even remember if he has even tried the three in the middle before? 

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

The setup definitely didn't suit Kane but rather than adjusting as a senior leader of the side to help others out he just seemed to go walkabout loads making everything worse by getting in others' space. And then when we were in decent positions around the box, he was miles away from where he needed to be half the time. He reminded me of latter years Rooney.

Lots of performances and decisions throughout the tournament were just really weird. The instruction to keep fucking wellying it from goal kicks being right up there.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

Spanish keeper not getting enough appreciation for his distribution.  

He hit a couple that Bruno, Pogba, Trent etc. would be proud of. 

I think he even hit them with disguise. 

I didn’t understand why he kept starting. He’s not a good shot stopper (the Rice header should’ve been up and out not back into the mix). But his distribution might be the best I’ve seen from a GK. 

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

If they expand to a 32 team Euros they'd have to completely change qualifying imo. Make it so the teams who got through to at least the last 16 of the previous Euros don't need to qualify. Making Spain, France, England, Germany etc etc go through an entire qualifying campaign to get to a 32 team Euros would be a farce. 

But then how will CR40 break more records in "official matches"?

:lol:

1 hour ago, El Prontonise said:

Screenshot_20240715_150139_BBC Sport.jpg

Incredibly damning when you look at the quality of attacking players available to Gareth.  

1 hour ago, El Prontonise said:

Screenshot_20240715_150139_BBC Sport.jpg

basically shows what most England fans could see but MSM started to gas light us after they most have got a call from the FA.   The change in tune from the BBC commentators was amazing.

Shearer has never been as bad as Kane was during the Euros. You could cut his feet off and he would still try and attack balls being sent into the box. The lack of instinct or aggression from Kane was bizarre to watch.

As in warfare, and everything else, being defensive is harder than being offensive. Defenseive units in general only succeed if they manage to turn their defensive measures into a war of attrition, wearing out the energy of the offensive opponent.

When translated into the world of football strategy, there seems to exist an overall misconception that not just going all out attack when you have a vastly superior unit in offense than you do in defense is a bad strategy because the offensive players will tire - so the best strategy (to them) is a firm defense that allows the opponents superior offensive players to tire, before then trying to nick a goal to steal the win.

Guess what, scientifically, is more tiresome for a footballer of these two options:

1. Playing defensively

2. Playing offensively

To the surprise of nobody (except stone age defensive minded coaches), the answer is number two. Being on the defense is much more tiresome on the body and mind than being on the offense, meaning what actually happens when a team sets up to defend all game in hope of nicking a draw (or even stealing a win), thinking the offensive players of the opponent will eventually tire from attacking them? Just look up how many goals are conceded by the "inferior" team after the match clock goes past 70:00 - it's unfathomable to me how today's game can both be intensely focused on statistics and a more "scientific" approach to the game, yet mentally still be retarded. 

If you're, say, Luton Town facing Manchester City. On paper, you know you'd likely lose that match-up 99 out of 100 times, so you prepare a tactic to "soak up" the pressure and, if luck wills it, you'll get a chance that becomes a goal and you might end up nicking it. It ignores the basic concept of a football match between two teams; you need to score more goals than your opponent to win a match, and how do you get the chance to score any? You attack. Meaning that statistically the best chance of winning against the supposed "vastly superior" Man City team increases exponentially when you attack, as attacks are what enables your team to score. 

I've gone off on a rant and feel I've lost track of the point I tried making, so just stopping here :lol: You all know what I mean, god damn.

Don't think there's much to analyse from the final - beaten by a team that was better on the day and so much better in the tournament it would have been sad for football generally and damned that drag of a tournament had England won.

There's ways to beat better teams but no science and whatever is deployed it rarely happens

The analysis as to why they were so awful against modest opponents in the games they didn't lose is fully justified, Maybe entering the final with some good performances behind them would have proved decisive.

Will only go the other way but get it back to 16. Its supposed to be an achievement to qualify.  Presently its a shoot-out between 3rd and 4th rate teams to see who makes up the numbers and a procession for the usual qualifiers making the disruption to club football even more of a pain in the erse.

Latvia qualified for a 16 team tournament. Greece won a 16 team tournament and Denmark and even more exclusive one than that.

16 minutes ago, Aiston said:

StuntPegg easily one of the best on youtube for football content and seems to know her stuff.

Aye almost all of her videos are absolute quality. One of the few true football "journalists" out there these days.