Malick Thiaw

James

Not particularly pacey and not the skill or forward momentum of Schar. Looks decent at blocking centres but distribution is average.

Hope its not true for that kind of money. This is not a step up on anyone.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Our team looks for the raw materials. Some of our best signings were coming off poor form or poor seasons. If players like Gordon and Isak were playing at their best they would have been out of reach for us.

The real question is is this a deliberate strategy to look for players having poor seasons compared to their ability?

I would argue no(as you allude to also) - it is simply the fact that Isak's quiet season allowed us the opportunity to sign him. If he had banged in 20+ again he would have had better options.

Edited by Sean

24 minutes ago, Sean said:

The real question is is this a deliberate strategy to look for players having poor seasons compared to their ability?

I would argue no(as you allude to also) - it is simply the fact that Isak's quiet season allowed us the opportunity to sign him. If he had banged in 20+ again he would have had better options.

I do think part of our strategy is to go for players that other top clubs aren’t fully convinced by but are considering. Gordon had the biggest question marks but Isak and Bruno both strongly linked with big moves that just never quite materialised. Isak in particular was a wonder kid.  

I don’t think Thiaw is in that Isak or Bruno bucket. Maybe more of a Gordon - the bigger question marks. 

I think he looks quick and aggressive. But he doesn’t look a step up on Schar the way Botman looked a step up on Burn.  Sure they’ll probably start together this season but the following season, would Thiaw be a step up on today’s Schar? 

Aye, I did mention it might be a bit early just yet to start any new thread, but I know I’m not that clear at times.  

Still, there might be hope there yet if we change the title to having his medical booked in at Greggs for the for the 25th July. 

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

No agreement. False rumour. (If Gordon Stipic is his agent) 

What rookie started this thread then 

I think we should have threads for anyone we are linked with personally, we should have a dedicated transfer section of the site. 

EDIT: one good reason is after a day of not being able to visit the board due to work/life, it’s not possible to catch up on 10/15 pages of the transfer rumours thread - if this was broken down into seperate threads of each player we can pick and choose which players we read about. 

Edited by NWMag

4 minutes ago, NWMag said:

I think we should have threads for anyone we are linked with personally, we should have a dedicated transfer section of the site. 

EDIT: one good reason is after a day of not being able to visit the board due to work/life, it’s not possible to catch up on 10/15 pages of the transfer rumours thread - if this was broken down into seperate threads of each player we can pick and choose which players we read about. 

Think things are fine the way they are. There are only 3-4 serious rumours every window. Most of it is just twitter bullshit and the transfer thread filters that out nicely.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I do think part of our strategy is to go for players that other top clubs aren’t fully convinced by but are considering. Gordon had the biggest question marks but Isak and Bruno both strongly linked with big moves that just never quite materialised. Isak in particular was a wonder kid.  

I don’t think Thiaw is in that Isak or Bruno bucket. Maybe more of a Gordon - the bigger question marks. 

I think he looks quick and aggressive. But he doesn’t look a step up on Schar the way Botman looked a step up on Burn.  Sure they’ll probably start together this season but the following season, would Thiaw be a step up on today’s Schar? 

The problem is finding a player who is a genuine step-up on Schar may be nearly impossible.