Malick Thiaw

James

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

They're all canny dishy as well tbf.

:lol: Harsh to ask Dan to step aside from this bit of the discussion but aye, none of them are ugly either.

19 minutes ago, 80 said:

For some reason it seems like all our central defensive links - for years now - tend to be on the slower side. Do we just not rank speed that highly in our list of needs? Preferring reading of the game and reach etc.

Also really quick people tend to have lots of hamstring issues, best to have someone just off that utterly rapid pace as long as all the other boxes are ticked

2 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Also really quick people tend to have lots of hamstring issues, best to have someone just off that utterly rapid pace as long as all the other boxes are ticked

Funnily enough it was a hamstring injury he missed 3 months with last season 

23 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And so based on this Botman should have only been £15-20m because of his recovery pace? Or perhaps even cheaper since he is even slower?

I'm just putting it out there that this was said by an Italian journo. I said in the transfer thread yesterday that Thiaw is only 22 years old so we might believe

a) he's going to get a lot better

b) in our formation we might have one of the CBs sitting deeper anyway to cover the counters.

18 minutes ago, jigen said:

You could buy Maxence Lacroix. Very good defender, physical and good speed, has only 1 year left in his contract and you can buy him for cheap. And for sure he is better suited to play alongside Botman than Thiaw. 

And why has no one else snapped up this magnificent defender yet, if you don't mind me asking?

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It was part of the reason we brought in Pope as a sweeper keeper that is really good coming out and sits higher up the pitch as a starting point to protect against balls in behind.

They tend to favour big powerful centre backs that are aggressive, to push up and support our pressing.

It's really just out wide we have got exploited with speed from faster wingers taking on Dan Burn, but with the options we have now, he won't need to ever be used there anymore, hopefully.

Agreed, in spite of our frailties last year, we only ever really got punished for pace and agility down our left. Plus Dubravka hugging the line.

In spite of their relative slowness, Schar and Botman have to go down as one of our best ever defensive partnerships. So I'm not going to worry about a lack of that with new signings too much. We're not at the level where we can sign players who tick every single box just yet, so if we get speed we'll probably lose something more tactically critical.

13 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm just putting it out there that this was said by an Italian journo. I said in the transfer thread yesterday that Thiaw is only 22 years old so we might believe

a) he's going to get a lot better

b) in our formation we might have one of the CBs sitting deeper anyway to cover the counters.

Might the journalist from Spain who said Isak wasn’t that great and Newcastle had over paid and just ripped him apart then I think after his assist v Everton radio Newcastle got him back on and he doubled down that Isak wasn’t that good 

aye since then I take journalists opinion with a pinch of salt :lol:

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I mean he's a good player but I would like to have at least one defender with pace. We got caught out many times last season.

Which games come to mind?

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

I mean he's a good player but I would like to have at least one defender with pace. We got caught out many times last season.

we're a totally different team with Popey in nets, mind.

I like the look of Thiaw (he'll be buzzing), and this jigen character said Gordon was average and we should have kept Maxi :lol: Italians don't have a good track record on here.

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

we're a totally different team with Popey in nets, mind.

I like the look of Thiaw (he'll be buzzing), and this jigen character said Gordon was average and we should have kept Maxi :lol: Italians don't have a good track record on here.

409831dfb50f27ff8c4052d16f39f3fd.gif

Better still to have one defender with pace.

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And why has no one else snapped up this magnificent defender yet, if you don't mind me asking?

They lost Van de Ven last summer so didn’t want to sell him. Lacroix is fast but, iirc, has a Bundesliga record for the most red cards in a season :lol: .

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

409831dfb50f27ff8c4052d16f39f3fd.gif

Better still to have one defender with pace.

Yeah, I mean I don't disagree! but hopefully we'll be a lot less exposed in that regard.

defenders with pace scare me a bit though, Yedlin got praised for his recovery pace loads, but the only reason he had to use it so much was because his defensive positioning was turd. I'd rather have a good defender over a pace merchant.

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

Yeah, I mean I don't disagree! but hopefully we'll be a lot less exposed in that regard.

defenders with pace scare me a bit though, Yedlin got praised for his recovery pace loads, but the only reason he had to use it so much was because his defensive positioning was turd. I'd rather have a good defender over a pace merchant.

He was a signing of that regime though. The only requirement was cheap.

1 minute ago, Big River said:

wey that wasn't the point, but yes.

Well its relevant as we signed plenty of pacey players who had no ability - Obertan for example.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Typically agents like to have their players names out there as any move means money for them.

Really odd to see them come out against a move in this manner.

Usually means negotiations for their cut/fee haven't gone great.