Will Osula

I’ll trust Howes judgment on him, he sees him day in day out in training and clearly feels the lad isn’t ready. I think Howe plays the mental game with the young players pretty well, he eases them in gradually. I think people tend to forget there’s alot of pressure on players this club, a lot more than Sheffield United anyway. Some young players take time to adapt to that. 

6 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Personally, I'd have had him on for the last 10 minutes at least but this season so far is going how I expected for him. He'll not get properly decent minutes until the second half of the season, imo.

We didn't have any subs left to make in the last 10 mins

1 minute ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

It was odd we brought Willock, then Longstaff and Livramento two minutes later. 

Why not triple sub and leave yourself the option of another sub later?

I guess we weren't expecting Trippier to get injured 2 mins after the WIllock sub

5 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Trippier got injured. Wasn’t a planned change 

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Personally, would've left a sub back for a striker to come on for the last portion of the game if you're still looking for a goal. Felt the Barnes sub hamstrung us a bit.

If the striker wasn’t Osula we may have done but even if there was a sub available I don’t think Howe would have put him on 

8 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Cos trippier was fine 2 minutes before. Am guessing he'd have made a double sub abit later if he still had the option. Mind I think it might have been kelly for hall rather than osula

Edited by jack j

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

If wood was on the bench we’d have brought him on. Weird signing this for me. What’s his use?

He’s one for a season or two down the line. Unfortunately Wilson is fucked 

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

This isn't a slight at Osula himself, but what a waste of fucking time this transfer was.

Signing low-risk, cheap, young talents for the future is a 'waste of fucking time' is it?

Lament the fact we didn't sign a striker ready for first time football if you want (and want to pretend we're able to shift Wilson and/or PSR doesn't exist), but Osula has very little to do with it. 

35 minutes ago, Nine said:

I’ll trust Howes judgment on him, he sees him day in day out in training and clearly feels the lad isn’t ready. I think Howe plays the mental game with the young players pretty well, he eases them in gradually. I think people tend to forget there’s alot of pressure on players this club, a lot more than Sheffield United anyway. Some young players take time to adapt to that. 

Howe is overly cautious with young players IMO. When you need a goal, what's the harm in chucking on a young lad to get out there and run at them? There were far more opportunities to get in on goal today than there was against Wimbledon where he was up against a 10 man defence.

21 minutes ago, TRon said:

Howe is overly cautious with young players IMO. When you need a goal, what's the harm in chucking on a young lad to get out there and run at them? There were far more opportunities to get in on goal today than there was against Wimbledon where he was up against a 10 man defence.

I do agree with you that at times it does feel he’s overly cautious, I wanted to see more of Gordon when he signed for example. Im not sure we are there with Osula yet though, and I do think he’ll start using him sooner rather than later. 

Wilson will come back and likely be re injured before long so Osula will get his minutes.

31 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Signing low-risk, cheap, young talents for the future is a 'waste of fucking time' is it?

Lament the fact we didn't sign a striker ready for first time football if you want (and want to pretend we're able to shift Wilson and/or PSR doesn't exist), but Osula has very little to do with it. 

We clearly had more money to spend despite the PSR constraints, we could have put Osula's £15m + some of the Guehi fund towards someone who's at very least deemed worthy of a cameo when we have no other fit senior strikers. Why we chose not to do that, I can't pinpoint who's choice that was, but it's already hurting us and we're in October.

Not saying that signing has to be of Wilson/Isak level, but if money is so tight we need to admit we can't spend £15m on a one for the future when we've just done two seasons with the two we have who have shocking & questionable fitness records respectively.

I literally said Osula I think will come good longer term as well, you full well know the context my post was in.

Seems a bit off that Eddie gets criticised short sighted, immediacy-focused transfer management, and then criticised for signing players more with a view to 2 seasons' time.

I'm not saying there isn't room for criticism - there is - but you can see how it looks a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't, also.

22 minutes ago, 80 said:

Seems a bit off that Eddie gets criticised short sighted, immediacy-focused transfer management, and then criticised for signing players more with a view to 2 seasons' time.

I'm not saying there isn't room for criticism - there is - but you can see how it looks a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't, also.

I’m one of those who thinks that you fix the present until you’re in a position to fully forward plan.  I hope Osula comes good, but the lad did play a lot of PL football last season so he shouldn’t need to be eased in gradually over a few seasons - though tbf he looked miles away from PL quality last year.  It’s still a head-scratching transfer for me. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yes cos we drew away at Everton 

1 hour ago, Nine said:

Osula is this seasons Lewis Hall. Everyone was saying similar about him last season. People were questioning the signing of Hall, its the same with Osula this season.

If it’s any help, I’ve thought the same thing about Targett (when he was out for a while) and Hall (last season). It turned out when they played they were clearly not good enough/ready/match fit and that’s why they hadn’t been getting any starts.