Marc Guehi

gdm

Definitely a bit cautious on this one.

Scant details. Normally when this stuff breaks its a bit further along. Would be an absolutely excellent player for us.

If its true, it is a big one for Mitchell. It's his first real test. He isn't going to want to lose this signing.

Can't wait to see him and Lascelles tear it up! Maybe we can send them almiron the other way. 

1 minute ago, NUFC_Chris said:

Aye, this is one I would absolutely love to happen but I just can’t see it. Cost a small fortune and his wages would be top dollar as well.

A few reports already suggesting personal terms wouldn’t be an issue.

My trust in our accountants is fucked like cause I can’t see how we pay 60million for an CB and still strengthen the glaring RM with anyone significant. 

Obvs be chuffed with him. But that right wing has looked shite for so long. 

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

Really? How long has it looked bad to you?

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Really? How long has it looked bad to you?

Can't speak for Weezertron but for me relative to the teams we're trying to compete with now, I'd say an upgrade is due. Especially given Murphy was the last recognised RW we signed. 7 years ago. And I like Murphy as an option/backup. Still think he's our best crosser of the ball, which probably speaks volumes as to why we're due a RW tbh.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

Last year Miggy + Murphy = 6 goals.

Last year Gordon + Barnes = 16 goals.  

What were the numbers the year before?

10 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

My trust in our accountants is fucked like cause I can’t see how we pay 60million for an CB and still strengthen the glaring RM with anyone significant. 

Murphy preseason goals has relaxed them on a RM/RF position for another year. :thup:

3 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

RW is 29 and 30 years old. They won't be trending up.  Miggy's purple patch isn't coming back. 

Yes but I asked you for the previous years numbers?

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Can't speak for Weezertron but for me relative to the teams we're trying to compete with now, I'd say an upgrade is due. Especially given Murphy was the last recognised RW we signed. 7 years ago. And I like Murphy as an option/backup. Still think he's our best crosser of the ball, which probably speaks volumes as to why we're due a RW tbh.

This. RW options assuming we are talking about players who actually like playing there, are Miggy and Murphy. While they might not be "shite" in literal terms, they were bought by Rafa when our club's main priority was to finish lower/midtable. We are targetting CL now, and I don't think anyone would argue either of them are that standard.

55 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The problem I have with these stats is a lot of this data includes the period of time under Hodgson.

How would Schar's numbers under Bruce look compared to his numbers under Howe for example?

Regarding the aerial duels, it would be interesting to know how that is measured. For instance some defenders are really good at staying tight and putting their body on the attacker when they both go up and so if they don't win the ball outright in the air it completely throws off the attacker and unbalances them, resulting in a poor header. Can it account for that sort of challenge?

Oddly enough, looking at the fbref numbers for aerials, and it has Konsa's aerial duels to be significantly worse than Guehi's.

No idea. Probably not. From their size and what I've seen of them - I thought Schar, Guehi (and Konsa) weren't the best in the air at winning defensive duels. So this just supports what i observed.

I thought Schar had improved in that aspect, he is aggressive in general including the air. And maybe he has but it didn't take this to show me that he's not an aerially dominant CB. Likewise for Guehi.

For a big lad - I don't even think Botman is THAT good in the air. Lascelles is the best at the club in the air and arguably our worst CB - so maybe it's not that important but for £60m I need some standout attributes.

The other stats are troubling for Guehi too. It's not obvious what he's meant to be really good at. Schar you can see his ball progression via passing and dribbles are among the highest in the stats. That is the Schar USP. What's the Guehi USP? From what I've seen it's pace and comfort on the ball under pressure. Need a bit more than that for £60m imo.

Over the last 2 seasons Murphy has 17 attacking returns in the equivalent of 27 games in the league. He’s not the solution but he’s far from a problem.

3 hours ago, Zero said:

I honestly don’t think it worths the price. 60m for a good CB, but not world class, is really expensive.

Better than nothing of course. Just under the PSR limitation I hope we go for better options (if any)

I for one am absolutely shocked that you are down on this deal.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yes but I asked you for the previous years numbers?

You're so close to scoring a huge win here man, keep the pressure on for an answer and then rub it in his face.

That's what this is all about.

If this is who they want and they make it happen then I'll be really excited about this one.

Exciting to see us shopping in this market. A top tier CB and a top RW and I'm going to be very bullish on our top four chances this year given the lack of European football.

23 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I believe there was talk of a £100 million budget once we got past the PSR issue.

I think identifying Osula, for just an initial £10 million outlay freed up some money, and I also suspect that the right winger we buy will likely be around £35 million.

Once Olise went there weren't really anymore £60 million options in that position that we could realistically land. Most we are linked with tend to be in the £30 million to £40 million range.

And so I think this meant we could go bigger on a centre back.

45 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Guehi has not signed a new contract, so they have to sell soon. 

They don’t have to. Many clubs choose not to. If he has a good season, pushes them up the table a bit more then they’d still get decent money for him with a year left on his deal. They may also be hoping he changes his mind in that time.