Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

My main worry with this is that it means we've put right wing on the back burner for another summer, given how much it would cost. PSR is shit.

I don't think this is the case. We'll have to wait and see. 

Ultimately though, the guy we have put in place is no mug, so everything is going to be much better thought out.

Given how this was a bolt from the blue, I do wonder who are actual target is of RW, it'll probably someone not mentioned, and happen similarly to this.

Probably already discussed at length but are people worried about his apparent lack of aerial ability? He's very strong and agile and I haven't noticed him lacking in man marking situations but the stats show that he rarely wins high balls and has always been paired with a more aggressive, aerially-dominant defender - Andersen, Richards and even Tomkins before.. 

9 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

My main worry with this is that it means we've put right wing on the back burner for another summer, given how much it would cost. PSR is shit.

As much as we can improve that area, we've just come off the back of one of the most prolific seasons in the club:s history. The goals against column last season was a concern. Pope and Guehi are massive steps in getting that back down, and I don't see why our goalscoring will dry up if we continue like last year. 

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

This is where football has lost its magic for me. We’re linked with one of the best players from the Euro’s, likely to be an England international for the next 10 years, absolute proven PL quality, yet as fans were debating whether the club can still comply with PSR. Bored of it.

I don't mind the PSR and all that stuff. It's kept football from going mad these past few years. Teams have to be smart with who they sign and who they scout.

We fans overthink this PSR thing. Let's leave it to the pros and just enjoy the transfer business. We've got a world-class management team. Let's trust them and the process.

I mean, we used to have Joe Kinnear and Derek Llambias running the show. Surely we're miles ahead of where we were. The only doom and gloom is the stuff we make up in our heads.

Trust the process.

3 minutes ago, junkhead said:

emm Guehi's not that big of a name.. and he's a CB after all, doubt he'd cause a commercial windfall.

I know he aint Ronaldo or anything like that. And that he’s not a big name in that regard. But his England performances and the hype around it along with being an extremely ambitious and expensive signing is a massive show of intent imo. This intent and ambition will cause a lot of talk about Newcastle and the direction we’re heading into. This signing alone will not result in massive deals all of a sudden. But the ambition of signing an England international and off of their better performance will help raise the profile of the club. Sponsors want “proof” of where a club is going and if there is a lot a lot about us in the media and the PL circus then sponsors will know about it and see this as a good potential investment. 

3 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

I don't mind the PSR and all that stuff. It's kept football from going mad these past few years. Teams have to be smart with who they sign and who they scout.

We fans overthink this PSR thing. Let's leave it to the pros and just enjoy the transfer business. We've got a world-class management team. Let's trust them and the process.

I mean, we used to have Joe Kinnear and Derek Llambias running the show. Surely we're miles ahead of where we were. The only doom and gloom is the stuff we make up in our heads.

Trust the process.

Exactly this!! Hence my “boring gif” reply to TCD yesterday. Just enjoy being linked with, and hopefully signing excellent talents.

A top class CB for the long-term is one of our squad's big needs (along with RW).

Guehi's obviously very highly rated, played well for England at the Euros. He's English & has enough premier league experience for us to have a good idea of his game at this level, which reduces the risk of failure. If he succeeds he could be a starter for the next 8 years or so.

Whether he's the absolute best player we could get I don't know, I haven't seen him much so I'm not very knowledgeable about him, but if the club think he's a 9/10, or 10/10 quality player and are prepared to pay to address that area of the squad for the long-term then great. Even if it means we can't get the elite RW, this year (though I suspect we might add someone still).

In a year with no Europe it's gonna be hard to get the really top talents though, so if we can a current England international at a good age in a position we need long-term strengthening in then fair play.

24 minutes ago, Ikon said:

This might be a different kind of point, you may not agree with it making sense but I’m convinced I’m right, despite getting things wrong all the time :lol: 

How much effort and money do companies (clubs too)  put into marketing? Trying to grow their brand and reputation in every way possible. “If you’re not seen you’re not heard of”. Signing like Guehi however expensive he might be will be great PR for the club. People will be raising eye brows and the club and its ambition will get plenty of talk in the news and all sorts of media. This cannot be underestimated imo how much it will also help us off the pitch regarding the brand Nufc and potential sponsors and so on. 

Get what you trying to say but not sure Guehi is a good example to use.

Building the biggest/best stadium in the UK would be the way I’d go personally.

People mentioned his heading success, I think it's around 50% which is similar to Schar 

What is considered good? 

I'm sure 70%+ is considered great 

We obviously can't get an elite right winger , I'm talking about the likes of Williams and Olise so have decided to go for an elite centre back instead . I have no doubts we will still bring a winger in that is a big upgrade on Miggy and Murphy .

Edited by Geogaddi

Just now, Geogaddi said:

We obviously can't get an elite right winger , I'm talking about the likes of Williams and Olise so have decided to go for an elite centre back instead . I have no doubts we will still bring a winger in that is better than Miggy and Murphy .

Obviously.

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

Seems a strange signing when he will be on the bench when Botman and Burn are fit.

can play right CB

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Get what you trying to say but not sure Guehi is a good example to use.

Building the biggest/best stadium in the UK would be the way I’d go personally.

I agree it’s not the best example or name. But the more exposure we get from all the talk in all sorts of media can only be an advantage for us. It raises the hype. Even when on a smaller scale.

Think a fantastic signing if it goes through. England international, already proven in league means 3 top quality cbs in side with burn and Kelley capable cover. 

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

Seems a strange signing when he will be on the bench when Botman and Burn are fit.

Assuming this was sarcasm?

But just in case not. Botman isn't fit and who knows when he will be 100% fit and ready to play. Burn will be 33 by end of the season, his playing time is going to be far more limited this season anyway and definitely if Thiaw or Guehi come in.

12 minutes ago, ThatLinton said:

A potential long term back four of Hall, Botman, Guehi and Livramento?

Fantastic news. 

Extremely talented, though wouldn't be the tallest back 4 which Eddie seems to rate highly across the squad right now 

2 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Extremely talented, though wouldn't be the tallest back 4 which Eddie seems to rate highly across the squad right now 

Burn at LB it is then. Poor Lewis Hall.