Marc Guehi

gdm

If Madueke is the one we want then perhaps we could do a similar loan to buy deal as we did for Hall last season?  Would explain why we are able to go big on the RCB

Edited by simonsays

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

If Madueke is the one we want then perhaps we could do a similar loan to buy deal as we did for Hall last season?  Would explain why we are able to go big on the RCB

This will be where we sell Alex Murphy (or some random fringe player) to Chelsea for 50m, sign Madueke for 70m and everyone's psr happy 😉

5 hours ago, KingArthur said:

I dont think Crystal Palace is a team that can afford to not get any money for him. 

Well hopefully they do need the money, even after Olise, but I’m not aware of their financial situation. 

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

Have noticed Romano hasn’t said anything about this. Probably a good thing. 

He’s on the take these days. Clubs coming out saying he offered to promote stories for £

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

This might be a different kind of point, you may not agree with it making sense but I’m convinced I’m right, despite getting things wrong all the time :lol: 

How much effort and money do companies (clubs too)  put into marketing? Trying to grow their brand and reputation in every way possible. “If you’re not seen you’re not heard of”. Signing like Guehi however expensive he might be will be great PR for the club. People will be raising eye brows and the club and its ambition will get plenty of talk in the news and all sorts of media. This cannot be underestimated imo how much it will also help us off the pitch regarding the brand Nufc and potential sponsors and so on. 

Ahhhh back in the day this used to be call "trophy signings"

Halcyon days. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Okay. It's just sometimes I just get really confused about where you're coming from with things.

Yesterday you had said Guehi wasn't a good passer and it didn't show up in the stats. And watching him doesn't match up with that.

Neither do the stats. And when I showed you his passing stats, you completely ignored those, and then showed me a different comparison of two players altogether, asking me which one was the £60 million player.

As if just looking at those stats determine a players value. Had I shown you Gordon's numbers for his Everton stint, they looked like he was a £10 million player. But then, you were dead against that signing too.

I think maybe you focus too much on the stats and not what they do on the pitch, and how that would translate in the system we play etc.

No I said he wasn’t a progressive passer.  Last season that is a statistical fact not an opinion. I think he looks very comfortable on the ball, under pressure, short passes v. accurate. But anyone that watches Palace once or twice will see Anderson is the defender that plays the balls into the attackers. 

From the same website I showed you Guehi’s stats vs Anderson’s. It backed up that across the sample base Guehi is not a progressive passer and he doesn’t win many headers either. I also said from my eye test, Guehi could carry the ball more than he does because he has the ability.

Performance in the past doesn’t mean that performance will be the same going forward - especially in a different team.  Gordon for example, has improved every aspect of his game. But do I think Guehi has performed to a £60m level? No. That’s my eye test and it’s supported in the data I have access too. Could he prove himself a bargain at £60m for us? Most definitely.  He’s clearly talented and is regarded highly in the game for his ability and his mentality. He seems a leader.  Has pace. Comfortable on the ball. But I dont think he’s physically dominant enough, or progressive enough to be our marquee defender. But People that get paid a lot of money to judge players get these things wrong - me a casual observer of Guehi is even more likely to be wrong. But this is a forum so I’m sharing my opinion and supporting them with stats where I can.   I was wrong about Gordon (Also right about Pope, Bruno, Botman etc.).  I’ll be wrong again but my reasoning is clear, logical and usually supported with data, if it’s not I’ll hold my hands up. 

It’s part of the reason I’m good at FPL.  I make decisions based on coherent logic from the eye test and the underlying stats. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No I said he wasn’t a progressive passer.  Last season that is a statistical fact not an opinion. I think he looks very comfortable on the ball, under pressure, short passes v. accurate. But anyone that watches Palace once or twice will see Anderson is the defender that plays the balls into the attackers. 

From the same website I showed you Guehi’s stats vs Anderson’s. It backed up that across the sample base Guehi is not a progressive passer and he doesn’t win many headers either. I also said from my eye test, Guehi could carry the ball more than he does because he has the ability.

Performance in the past doesn’t mean that performance will be the same going forward - especially in a different team.  Gordon for example, has improved every aspect of his game. But do I think Guehi has performed to a £60m level? No. That’s my eye test and it’s supported in the data I have access too. Could he prove himself a bargain at £60m for us? Most definitely.  He’s clearly talented and is regarded highly in the game for his ability and his mentality. He seems a leader.  Has pace. Comfortable on the ball. But I dont think he’s physically dominant enough, or progressive enough to be our marquee defender. But People that get paid a lot of money to judge players get these things wrong - me a casual observer of Guehi is even more likely to be wrong. But this is a forum so I’m sharing my opinion and supporting them with stats where I can.   I was wrong about Gordon (Also right about Pope, Bruno, Botman etc.).  I’ll be wrong again but my reasoning is clear, logical and usually supported with data, if it’s not I’ll hold my hands up. 

It’s part of the reason I’m good at FPL.  I make decisions based on coherent logic from the eye test and the underlying stats. 

In my humble opinion, it would be more beneficial to compare Guehi's data and statistics to our current players, such as Schar, Burn, Batman Krafth, and others, rather than the player he plays with, in order to gain a more accurate perspective and assessment.

Then, we should look at our defensive unit's strengths and weaknesses and see what he adds to that.

For example, an eye test will show us that we have plenty of physicality but lack pace. So a Burn or Botman, Guehi partnership has pace, physicality, and heading ability.

We should focus on what he brings, not what he lacks. Because in my opinion, we have plenty of the weaknesses he has, but he brings something we don't have at all. Which is PACE. 

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

God you’re impressive.

1 hour ago, junkhead said:

Probably already discussed at length but are people worried about his apparent lack of aerial ability? He's very strong and agile and I haven't noticed him lacking in man marking situations but the stats show that he rarely wins high balls and has always been paired with a more aggressive, aerially-dominant defender - Andersen, Richards and even Tomkins before.. 

it’s more of an issue this season with Botman out. You assume he’ll start alongside Schar this season and that’s a weak duo in the air. I suspect Burn or Kelly will start at LB at the beginning of this season for height to compensate. 

When Botman is back fully - it’s less of an issue. 

15 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

In my humble opinion, it would be more beneficial to compare Guehi's data and statistics to our current players, such as Schar, Burn, Batman Krafth, and others, rather than the player he plays with, in order to gain a more accurate perspective and assessment.

Then, we should look at our defensive unit's strengths and weaknesses and see what he adds to that.

For example, an eye test will show us that we have plenty of physicality but lack pace. So a Burn or Botman, Guehi partnership has pace, physicality, and heading ability.

We should focus on what he brings, not what he lacks. Because in my opinion, we have plenty of the weaknesses he has, but he brings something we don't have at all. Which is PACE. 

He does have pace that’s a massive strength.  He’s going to play with Schar at CB this season ideally - not Burn or Botman. That’s weak in the air.  Also makes it more likely the best technical LB won’t start in favour of a better aerial option.  

I do think more teams are moving away. From big strikers which helps. 

Perhaps we play even higher and more aggressive this season too. 

44 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Ahhhh back in the day this used to be call "trophy signings"

Halcyon days. 

Aye or a marquee signing. Our last marquee signing hasn’t gone so well but the one before that has been blockbuster. 

1 hour ago, janpawel said:

People mentioned his heading success, I think it's around 50% which is similar to Schar 

What is considered good? 

I'm sure 70%+ is considered great 

Aye and Schar is considered a little poor in the air. 

VVD has been the standard over the last half decade. This is a small snapshot (9 games or so) but I think it’s fairly typical of him at his best:

image.thumb.png.c1951a53f72e886ae88aa28cc7ab3624.png

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Okay, well, once the season starts we will all see for ourselves how he looks in our team and not Palace's. If he joins of course.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Okay, well, once the season starts we will all see for ourselves how he looks in our team and not Palace's. If he joins of course.

Aye. So between now and then all we have is speculation about what he could potentially do and how he fits. I’ll continue to share my ideas - sharing my logic as best I can with any evidence to support that I can.  

Id appreciate if you engaged with the ideas in good faith for what they are or just ignored them. And not lie on my name to fit your narrative like you have. 

16 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

Gone are the days of being excited for a player without stat nonces jumping onto it and bringing the levels down a notch or two. 

the stat & finance nonces will suck the joy out of anything

they couldn’t even enjoy a wank without assessing the aerial ability of the arc of spunk as it hits the Kleenex and the FFP implications of paying for the copy of Razzle  

Edited by bobbydazzla

42 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Completely agree with this, we had one of the slowest backlines imaginable last season. No recovery pace at all and we were punished for it time and time again, especially when Pope was missing and we had no sweeper keeper either. 

We've been screaming out for an athletic, pacey CB.