Marc Guehi

gdm

I don't give a fuck about the amount we spend on any player, as long as we get what we need to improve the team, that's all that counts.

Really, really hope we can get this one done asap.

Just now, HayDen Traces said:

Dont believe the Liverpool story for a second. Nothing to back that up, I just have a gut feel for it.

Could be wrong.

The Times reported last week that they weren't interest.

The thing is that we don't know how interested we are either.

Ormstein reported we'd had discussions  with Palace and the Ronny claimed there were further discussions yesterday.

It could have been as simple as: "£70 million? We're not paying that. OK, bye". I'm sure these things happen all the time.

16 minutes ago, HawK said:

Nico Barella & Sandro Tonali vibes.

Maybe we're getting brathwaite :lol:

I want him to join as he seems to want to be here.

But actually, for about the same amount of money, a late switcheroo for Branthwaite would be pretty hilarious.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

Spurs just signed 2 centre halves over the last two windows (van de ven & Dragusin) and they have Emerson Royal & Romero so I doubt it 

Fair points. Sadly if Liverpool genuinely go in for him I think they’ll take him over us. 

1 minute ago, Andy84 said:

Ornstein breaking this makes it feel different if that makes sense. Based on nowt I feel it’s close 

I agree. All the sounds from the player are positive which is another big battle won.

I've got faith in this happening. Usually you can sense when its bullshit, but this one feels more likely.

11 minutes ago, HayDen Traces said:

Dont believe the Liverpool story for a second. Nothing to back that up, I just have a gut feel for it.

Could be wrong.

If they genuinely want him I think they’ll get him. They can pay higher wages, have champions league, club stature etc.

13 minutes ago, Willow said:

I don't give a fuck about the amount we spend on any player, as long as we get what we need to improve the team, that's all that counts.

Really, really hope we can get this one done asap.

What about if we overpaid for signings like Everton or Man U, would you care then? 

Casemiro improved Man U for a season, now he's a £60m + old DM with no legs on mega wages

7 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Ornstein breaking this makes it feel different if that makes sense. Based on nowt I feel it’s close 

Not to be a downer, but all he said was that we'd opened discussions.

He's been reporting on more speculative stuff this transfer window, probably because there's not as much going on. He loves the "club x are exploring a deal for player y" line, covering all bases.

1 minute ago, janpawel said:

What about if we overpaid for signings like Everton or Man U, would you care then? 

Casemiro improved Man U for a season, now he's a £60m + old DM with no legs on mega wages

But in this case we’re looking to spend upwards of 60m on a 24 year old who’s proved himself in the premier league and at the euros. Signing a player at the end of his career for mega money and mega wages is a different discussion.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not to be a downer, but all he said was that we'd opened discussions.

He's been reporting on more speculative stuff this transfer window, probably because there's not as much going on. He loves the "club x are exploring a deal for player y" line, covering all bases.

Fair one, I think being in direct talks with the club is quite a way down the road though and hopefully things have progressed this weekend 

1 minute ago, Andy84 said:

Fair one, I think being in direct talks with the club is quite a way down the road though and hopefully things have progressed this weekend 

I think we’ll probably know whether this is a goer by midweek

Just now, Andy84 said:

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

But in this case we’re looking to spend upwards of 60m on a 24 year old who’s proved himself in the premier league and at the euros. Signing a player at the end of his career for mega money and mega wages is a different discussion.

Yeah I totally agree, but the previous poster said 'any' player 

I was just referencing that unfortunately the cost of players and FPP is such a burden and limiting factor for a team improving. I admire him for never giving a shit, but for example I'd be gutted if we signed a CB who improved us for huge money and then we couldn't afford a RW etc 

Not saying that we will do this or Guehi is gonna bankrupt us, just a hypothetical 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d prefer Branthwaite tbh, delighted with either mind.

I like Branthwaite too; not least because he can win a header, but can he play in midfield?

24 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Left footed though, isn't he?  Guehi makes more sense in that regard as he would be to replace Schar long term.

-St James and unique atmosphere (which he’s commented on)

-Working and developing under Howe

- Playing with the likes of Bruno, Isak and Gordon

- Decent chance of top four qualification and cup run

….are all reasons why he might be keen to come. 

34 minutes ago, janpawel said:

If i may interject.

We don't buy older players on long contracts anymore, and if we are to spend a lot on a player, it'll be the right fit. We will get the odd one wrong, but in the main we'll be very good.

I say that with Tonali's gambling not found out about until too late, but with Mitchell in now as well, I think our buying will on the money, pun intended.

46 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

If they genuinely want him I think they’ll get him. They can pay higher wages, have champions league, club stature etc.

If we genuinely want him I think we will get him.

We are Newcastle United.

Well, I for one won't believe any of it until I see a picture of Jarrad Guehi-Thiaw on the steps of SJP holding an NUFC scarf over his head in THE CHRONICLE.

40 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure he’d have any ankles left with Isak running at him in training every day.