Marc Guehi

gdm

Feels like this is all about Palace publicly making everyone aware of the situation to try and flush out another bidder.  Far more confident about these situations now Mitchell is in control of them, I think this will happen even if it's not until this time next week.

2nd bid rejected, pretty normal stuff but I'm sure the meltdown will be well underway.:lol:

If a 3rd bid is rejected then its probably not happening.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Have there been any players we've publicly had bids rejected for since the first window, who we've not signed? We've been strongly linked with players who we haven't bought obviously, but can't think of any since Lingard and Diego Carlos in the first window who we've not just pushed on with and bought. 

Maddison.

5 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

£50m was always going to be knocked back and rightfully so in this current market. Feels a waste of time low balling its obvious we'll need to bid at least £60m, he is now an established England centre back and only 24

If we go to high at first palace will just up their price. Seems normal and the right way.

9 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Far more confident about these situations now Mitchell is in control of them, I think this will happen even if it's not until this time next week.

Yeah. Whatever else is the case about him, he's a professional trader in this world so there won't be any panicking.

The 65m figure is being put about by Palace to set price expectations. It’s the maximum not the minimum.

A 50m bid is probably close to what the nufcr hierarchy  think his max value is, so Palace might get a slightly higher offer and some add ons but at that point it will be up to them whether they want to cash in or not. Pretty clear there’ll not be a new contract so do Palace take the cash now  or run the risk of him running it down.

2 minutes ago, Bunk Moreland said:

Didn't the Livramento transfer go a bit like this? Few bids with a flurry of updates from fairly reliable sources that said all along that there was hope a deal could be done?

I also seem to remember at the time the fee we paid for him seemed on the high side. Don't think anyone thinks that now though. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

I also seem to remember at the time the fee we paid for him seemed on the high side. Don't think anyone thinks that now though. 

Aye. Southampton were also doing a bit of grandstanding through their media sources about the price, but a compromise was eventually reached that we both seemed happy with.

13 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yeah. Whatever else is the case about him, he's a professional trader in this world so there won't be any panicking.

Someone said his style is he won’t drag on and simply move to other target 

You don't accept the fisrt bid. And you almost certainly don't acept the second, even if close. Little bit more haggly haggly, tiny bit more upfront, perhaps slightly higher extras for finishing in europe. Feels like we're close and this is going to get done soon, but it's a big deal and obviously they want as much as possible.

28 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

£50m was always going to be knocked back and rightfully so in this current market. Feels a waste of time low balling its obvious we'll need to bid at least £60m, he is now an established England centre back and only 24

Have to say I'm happy that we didn't bid more than £50m. Yes it will probably creep up more than that, but I was never that sold on us paying the £65m that Palace are allegedly asking. Guehi has some great attributes, but he's not fantastic in the air, and for all he did have a good Euros, he also got caught napping a couple of times as well. I'm sure there's every chance he'll become a a very good defender, but it's not like he's proven in every department already.

37 minutes ago, gdm said:

fuckin hell if the 2nd bid was £50m what was the first. 

A sensible one perhaps. I said the other week I thought his value was around £35-45m. Maybe some add-ones. Talk of £65-70m is crazy in my eyes. Especially when they want most if not all up front.

Zubimendi to Liverpool was reported a few days ago but haven't really heard anything since. 

Seems like these big transfers often just require a lot of patience. 

Think it was better not knowing anything until it happened, like when Shearer signed the story just broke on BBC during their Olympics coverage.

1 minute ago, Ginola14 said:

Zubimendi to Liverpool was reported a few days ago but haven't really heard anything since. 

Think it was better not knowing anything until it happened, like when Shearer signed the story just broke on BBC during their Olympics coverage.

Same with Arsenal and Merino.

5 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

It was in the athletic yesterday. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/live-blogs/transfer-news-live-updates/4dgYgiWi8WnH/zf8t6ipFKG0H/

Edited by Kanji

The fact both sides are happy to negotiate suggests they aren't far off each other in terms of valuation.

And so won't they just be agreeing on how much of the fee is guaranteed money and how much comes in add ons?

Just now, KaKa said:

The fact both sides are happy to negotiate suggests they aren't far off each other in terms of valuation.

And so won't they just be agreeing on how much of the fee is guaranteed money and how much comes in add ons?

Yep. It just means we are not going to be played as mugs in the negotiations. I think we'll come to an agreement which suits both sides as Palace will want to get their replacement in sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep. It just means we are not going to be played as mugs in the negotiations. I think we'll come to an agreement which suits both sides as Palace will want to get their replacement in sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I think it's more likely things like how much money is guaranteed, how much is add ons as well as how achievable those are, and possible sell on clauses and percentages for that, are the kinds of things being discussed back and forth.

If we were far off in actual valuation, I'm not sure talks would be ongoing and they would sound quite as positive.

When Man Utd and Everton were far off in valuation, it didn't get very far, and we kept hearing Man Utd thought they were asking for too much, and Everton weren't going to let him go for less than their valuation.