Marc Guehi

gdm

Would take a top quality centre back over RW is that's the choice we're facing. There's no guarantee Botman or Lascelles will be fit enough to play this side of Christmas, or that they'll be able to bring any form at all on their return. One awkward fall or training ground mishap for Burn or Schar could leave us with a defensive crisis.

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Do you think the expert bean counters at NUFC haven't considered PSR when lining up players and making offers ?

There's absolutely no way that anyone has a better insight into our PSR position than the team of Accountants, Lawyers etc who work at the club 

Yes but making offers is one thing and what the other clubs will let them go for or buy from you is not the same :lol:

No expert can go into a window and say for arguement sake and the fact it was muted we’ve £100m to spend… We’ll have Guehi for £50m and Neto for £50m thanks very much whilst also thinking and we will sell Miggy for £30m thanks very much to help with January window.

Yes they will know how much we can spend but you’ve just proven my point it does matter we get the lowest fee possible rather than the pay whatever it takes (it’s not our money) approach.

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It would be quite funny if we end up with Guehi and a RW and this whole debate was a complete waste of time.

It’s never a waste of time as it just moves to the next window ultimately. Just different positions.

Edited by LFEE

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

It’s never a waste of time as it just moves to the next window ultimately. Just different positions.

I might need to moderate my visits to the transfer threads then :lol:

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

It’s never a waste of time as it just moves to the next window ultimately.

It would also mean that we'd be waiting for at least the next window until we have a side with no real weak areas. If we get Guehi, RW would be the only part of the team which I feel is not really up there in CL class.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yes but making offers is one thing and what the other clubs will let them go for or buy from you is not the same :lol:

No expert can go into a window and say for arguement sake and the fact it was muted we’ve £100m to spend… We’ll have Guehi for £50m and Neto for £50m thanks very much whilst also thinking and we will sell Miggy for £30m thanks very much to help with January window.

Yes they will know how much we can spend but you’ve just proven my point it does matter we get the lowest fee possible rather than the pay whatever it takes (it’s not our money) approach.

That's just basic negotiation though. We'll initially offer X, our limit is Y. If they want more than X we'll negotiate, if they want more than Y we'll walk away

And our limit of Y will have been calculated on a combination of PSR, player value, player outgoings, commercial revenue generated etc etc

And no-one posting on here has any idea what our financial limits are, either on total transfer kitty or for individual players

Edited by bobbydazzla

17 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Do you think the expert bean counters at NUFC haven't considered PSR when lining up players and making offers ?

There's absolutely no way that anyone has a better insight into our PSR position than the team of Accountants, Lawyers etc who work at the club

Well that can't be right everybody on here know exactly what's going on! 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I might need to moderate my visits to the transfer threads then :lol:

I know. I do get both sides of the fence. Would be great not to have to think about it when building a team. I’m guessing the Cartel fans spend a lot less time factoring it into their potential signings. On the other hand I’ve always seen it as our (fans) money to an extent and especially now when it has knock on effect that it probably forces clubs to hike prices for fans they probably previously may of been less ruthless about. So the smarter we are with our signings (and sales) the better for the club and fans it’s self.

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

That's just basic negotiation though. We'll initially offer X, our limit is Y. If they want more than X we'll negotiate, if they want more than Y we'll walk away

And our limit of Y will have been calculated on a combination of PSR, player value, player outgoings, commercial revenue generated etc etc

And no-one posting on here has any idea what our limits are, either on total transfer kitty or for individual players

You are still missing the point. The days of saying it doesn’t matter how much we spend on a player if its the one we want are as it stands over. So I may not “worry” what we spend it is highly important as I’ve explained above.

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I know. I do get both sides of the fence. Would be great not to have to think about it when building a team. I’m guessing the Cartel fans spend a lot less time factoring it into their potential signings. On the other hand I’ve always seen it as our (fans) money to an extent and especially now when it has knock on effect that it probably forces clubs to hike prices for fans they probably previously may of been less ruthless about. So the smarter we are with our signings (and sales) the better for the club and fans it’s self.

You are still missing the point. The days of saying it doesn’t matter how much we spend on a player if its the one we want are as it stands over. So I may not “worry” what we spend it is highly important as I’ve explained above.

Likewise, you're missing my point.

I'm not saying spend anything that's needed to land the player.

I'm saying NUFC now have a team of experts in place who will have calculated an upper limit on transfer fee for a player. And if the players club are willing sellers and the player wants to join us ahead of any other bidders and the price doesn't exceed our upper limit, then we'll do a deal

If we have to walk away from a transfer on costs then so be it. If we sign a player then happy days, we've been able to afford whatever the fee was

And if none of the above is happening, then we're fucked and I've got no idea what all these new corporate hires are here for

Edited by bobbydazzla

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It would be quite funny if we end up with Guehi and a RW and this whole debate was a complete waste of time.

We will.

Guehi and Madueke

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Likewise, you're missing my point.

I'm not saying spend anything that's needed to land the player.

I'm saying NUFC now have a team of experts in place who will have calculated an upper limit on transfer fee for a player. And if the players club are willing sellers and the player wants to join us ahead of any other bidders and the price doesn't exceed our upper limit, then we'll do a deal

If we have to walk away from a transfer on costs then so be it. If we sign a player then happy days

You said “Who cares if we pay over the odds, it’s not your life savings they’re spending”

I’ve explained why I disagree and how it effects the club & fans. I’ll leave it there.

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

What we going to do when we have purples in all positions. :mackems:

46 minutes ago, Ben said:

I genuinely wonder how these talks take so long, you'd think two blokes sitting down face to face could sort it in an hour or so one way or another

Get Alan involved in the deal and it'd be sorted in 30 seconds

2 minutes ago, Hudson said:

What we going to do when we have purples in all positions. :mackems:

With the rules as they are selling youth products and our older purples to buy younger newer purples but hopefully in a more sensible and strategic approach than Chelsea.

In reality if we can navigate this season and continue our growth off the pitch if we keep buying smart we should only need 1-2 players a season which I think would suite EH also. 

7 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Ok, here goes: Van Dijk, Stones, Ruben Dias, Saliba, Gabriel, Van de Ven, Ake, Akanji and I'd have Schar and Botman ahead of him t0o. It's probably partly me not paying that much attention to Palace, but I genuinely can't say I've ever sat and watched a game before this Euros and come away thinking I've just watched a center back masterclass by Marc Guehi, or even that he caught my eye. I made a point of re-watching our extended match highlights vs Palace of last year (only featured in the 4-1 game I was lucky to attend), and it was a horror show.

I agree with most of that. Where I would question only slightly is Gabriel (He’s still good so I guess he makes the list but Saliba makes him look better than he is IMO). Van de Ven is very fast but I’m not sure he’s great at defending but it’s only been one season so happy to leave the jury out on that one.

I’m pleasantly surprised you had no mention of VdV partner Romero. Not wanting to speak for you but do you also agree he’s massively overrated by Spurs fans? I think he’s absolutely headless and slow. Tough/dirty I get but honestly think he’s a liability.

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

That has nothing to do with what I’m saying - what I’m saying is if they accept £50m then they only have £40m to replace him. That’s really not a lot.

Your point is fair, however Palace are still talking and once they’ve seen the second bid at 50m they’ll know 65m is a pipe dream, so given they’re still negotiating I reckon they’ll take less. 

Ultimately they’ll know they might only get 30m next year, and then they’re after a replacement with only 24m. And if he had an injury or a bad season then they might get even less.

Maybe talks break down, but if it happens I reckon it’s 55 max, with maybe some add ons like CL qualification that don’t compromise its affordability 

34 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I agree with most of that. Where I would question only slightly is Gabriel (He’s still good so I guess he makes the list but Saliba makes him look better than he is IMO). Van de Ven is very fast but I’m not sure he’s great at defending but it’s only been one season so happy to leave the jury out on that one.

I’m pleasantly surprised you had no mention of VdV partner Romero. Not wanting to speak for you but do you also agree he’s massively overrated by Spurs fans? I think he’s absolutely headless and slow. Tough/dirty I get but honestly think he’s a liability.

Him and Lisandro Martinez; not a fan in general of diminutive Argentinian hot heads in central defense. Feel especially Romero is always a foolish moment of dirtiness away from being sent off.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

You said “Who cares if we pay over the odds, it’s not your life savings they’re spending”

I’ve explained why I disagree and how it effects the club & fans. I’ll leave it there.

I don't think people appreciate this enough. There's always a bottom line, at least while FFP/PSR are in place. Every penny we spend impacts us down the line. One of the reasons why shipping out players is as important as bringing in new ones.

4 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

That works both ways though. Should similar excuses be made for all the players we brought in from abroad under Ashley and who are mostly labelled "shit" on here to this day, despite often having decent careers before and after, the likes of Florin Thauvin and Luuk de Jong? We were after all an absolute basket case of a club.

Which brings me to my point: it is not where a player comes from or how "league proven" they are, as long as they have the right mentality and are of the required talent, it's whether where they go have a manager, coaching team, tactics etc. that can get the best out of them. Then there is an element of luck involved (injuries, squad developments, adopting to new surroundings, not getting caught doing something silly off the pitch, etc.)

To be more on topic: Marc Guehi is not a guaranteed success here. Like any transfer there would be some risk involved even if he has played a hundred odd PL games to date.

I don't see how you've come to the conclusion that foreign players doing poorly at basketcase clubs then doing well afterwards is the counterpoint to PL players also going to basketcase clubs and doing poorly. If you're making that point it should be foreign players going to basketcase clubs and doing well regardless, no?

There are no guarantees or hard and fast rules, but it's pretty obvious why Guehi is a different proposition to the players you listed and much more akin to players like VVD, Rice, Jota, Mane, Walker, Stones, who were bought to start and who were proven PL players going to clubs with a clear strategy. There's nothing elaborate about it, being PL experienced is just another one of the important factors you mentioned yourself.