Marc Guehi

gdm

The main reason why we conceded far too many goals last year was not because of the back 2. A lot of the issue came from the massive Joelinton shaped hole in front of them. A lot of injuries (and a ban) to our midfielders really exposed out back line last year. Longstaff/Anderson/Miley were never going provide them the cover needed, especially when Bruno pushed further up the field. 

Can't believe no one's mentioning Dubravka tbh. He almost single handedly messed up our defence because he can't do the sweeper keeper thing.

I'm hoping that our new Keeper, even if he isn't a particularly great shot stopper has a bit more about him in terms of sweeping up like Pope does.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Can't believe no one's mentioning Dubravka tbh. He almost single handedly messed up our defence because he can't do the sweeper keeper thing.

I'm hoping that our new Keeper, even if he isn't a particularly great shot stopper has a bit more about him in terms of sweeping up like Pope does.

Spot on. His refusal to change his starting position was a disgrace. Created so much space in behind us, and totally undermined our pressing game.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Read my posts. I gave losing Pope the main reason for our defensive problems.

That and we clearly pressed less aggressively (especially away from home) as our injuries piled up.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still think we scored more due to the chaotic nature of how we played. I’d be amazed if we played the same way this season with a fully fit squad.

Tonali is going to the key player in changing how we play this season. How that will be and if it will be to our benefit the jury is out but I think it will the case.

The margins are so fine this year with having a decent transfer window or a disastrous one. Get Guehi in and it massively tips it towards decent.

Edited by duo

It's absolutely right that the volume of goals we shipped last season wasn't especially accountable to the personnel in the backline, but that doesn't mean investment in that area isn't crucial if we're to progress. Kelly is a good start but Schar and Burn both turn 33 this season and who knows what Botman's injury has done to his progress. Then it's Lascelles, another on the wrong side of 30.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

It's absolutely right that the volume of goals we shipped last season wasn't especially accountable to the personnel in the backline, but that doesn't mean investment in that area isn't crucial if we're to progress. Kelly is a good start but Schar and Burn both turn 33 this season and who knows what Botman's injury has done to his progress. Then it's Lascelles, another on the wrong side of 30.

People say Schar turns 33 as if his legs will fall off this season. He's the type of defender who can easily play at this level under his mid to late 30's.

1 hour ago, gdm said:

can’t you read? I said I don’t blame the club it’s PSR that’s the issue. At no point did I say I expected anything. Doesn’t change the fact the window has been frustrating and underwhelming 

Even without the PSR Rules, we still wouldn't be able to move Almiron or Murphy. That means we'd be buying a new right winger while having two already on the books. Squad harmony and all. Just look at Chelsea.

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

People say Schar turns 33 as if his legs will fall off this season. He's the type of defender who can easily play at this level under his mid to late 30's.

I don't think his legs will fall off but it's not implausible that he doesn't maintain his levels for too much longer. The wider point is that if three of your options in one position are over 30, you've got a sustainability issue and investing heavily at this point is totally sensible. 

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

He loses his pace as he get older and this makes him vulnerable in one-on-one situations, as evidenced in the match against Sheffield at home. While he may be suitable for a back three formation, he is not well-suited for a back two formation as he gets older. 

Spurs buying Solanke took about 3 days. We always seem to take an age to get deals done. It's just the Newcastle way unfortunately. It'll still be another underwhelming transfer window wether Guehi signs or not. Only Newcastle could become super rich and not be allowed to throw money around. Man U, Chelsea on the other hand...

31 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Still think we scored more due to the chaotic nature of how we played. I’d be amazed if we played the same way this season with a fully fit squad.

I feel like there was a deliberate decision not to draw so many games. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Who is this source?

Makes no sense, why would we be in advanced discussions with talks continuing. 

Trust me bro.

Having him in defence along with Hall and Livramento let's us squeeze up to midfield more helping the press and pushing us further up the pitch as those 3 have good recovery pace and probably less worried about speed of attackers coming at us. We backed off quite a bit last season with the injuries and created too much space for teams.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

The lack of stand out quality at RW is compensated by the effectiveness of the team as an attacking unit. I'd be far more worried I'd we didn't recruit at CB than if we didn't recruit at RW.

In fact I'm more concerned about the backup goalie situation than anything at all; being forced into signing Vlachodimos as opposed to who we actually wanted is frustrating. 

Yeah goalkeeper is an uncertain situation if Pope gets injured.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think this is made up. Not sure but I read some people saying that he hasn’t said this anywhere. Haven’t double checked though. Wouldn’t surprise me really. Twitter is a proper rat hole most of the time. Not sure why people would do similar things. 

Edited by Ikon