Marc Guehi

gdm

11 minutes ago, KennyUtd said:

Spurs buying Solanke took about 3 days. We always seem to take an age to get deals done. It's just the Newcastle way unfortunately. It'll still be another underwhelming transfer window wether Guehi signs or not. Only Newcastle could become super rich and not be allowed to throw money around. Man U, Chelsea on the other hand...

Fab Tweeted last night that they've been working on it for weeks.

It's a total myth we take longer than other sides. It just depends on the deal and how early the press get hold of it.

Edited by The Prophet

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's absolutely right that the volume of goals we shipped last season wasn't especially accountable to the personnel in the backline, but that doesn't mean investment in that area isn't crucial if we're to progress. Kelly is a good start but Schar and Burn both turn 33 this season and who knows what Botman's injury has done to his progress. Then it's Lascelles, another on the wrong side of 30.

Agreed it's not just that look at how many are in their last year of their contract can't keep kicking the can down the road with year long extensions so gonna have to bite the bullet eventually. Still see the fear if total budget left is 60m then for it to all go in on a defender and leave the wing alone is also a risk itself with potentially the top 8 being more competitive than ever.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think his legs will fall off but it's not implausible that he doesn't maintain his levels for too much longer. The wider point is that if three of your options in one position are over 30, you've got a sustainability issue and investing heavily at this point is totally sensible. 

I'm in full agreement that we need a new RCB, but I'd have been looking at a promising understudy kind of player, someone capable of filling in now and with the potential to be a first team player in the near future. I see Schar, Botman and Kelly as first team players (3 for 2 positions), Burn as more than capable back up and arguably a good enough starting LCB as well, and Lascelles plus Krafth as "break glass in case of emergency" players. I also think Schar defends through intelligent positioning and takes such good care of himself he could easily be a Sergio Ramos, a Pepe or a Thiago Silva and have another five years at this level in the tank. I think we need a little more depth and a little more (age related) squad planning at CB, but we're not short of quality or quantity.

All the above in context of us looking at spending pretty much our entire remaining kitty on Guehi, while once again potentially neglecting the RW position. And I don't even think as badly as most about Almiron and Murphy, but RW is clearly the one position where any one purple could have the biggest impact on our fortunes - just imagine what a right sided Gordon could do for this team. Instead we may stick with Almiron while (when everyone is fit) our bench has two first team center backs.

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Hope doesn’t have impact on Guehi leaving 

I’d be amazed if they sold both mind. However with Carlos close to going to Fulham, maybe this would end their interest in Andersen.

29 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The Mirror are the worst for clickbait shite. Look at the delta between the headline and the actual content in your typical Simon Bird article.

Hopefully we get a conclusion to this one way or the other before the end of the week. As much as I like Guehi there are other options at CB. If Palace are prepared to take a big financial hit by not selling him in this window then fair enough.

I think it will get done by next weekend and likely a right winger on a loan to buy later this month, need to try and shift a couple players out. Would expect Dubrvka, Trippier at least to go.

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Fab Tweeted last night that they've been working on it for weeks.

It's a total myth we take longer than other sides. It just depends on the deal and how early the press get hold of it.

Mate, I'm 60 years old and have followed Newcastle for 50 years.

It absolutely isn't a myth. We've always, historically, taken ages to get deals done. It's very rare to get a deal done quickly like Isak for example. It was us before, during and after Ashley. As I said, the Newcastle way.  

Is it not just a case of our transfers that are played out in public seem like they take a while? Which I imagine is like other teams too - look at Man Utd with De Ligt. Been a couple of weeks since interest was first mooted I think. 

Isak transfer seemed to happen fast as the news broke shortly before he was our player. For all we know they could have been negotiating with Sociedad for two months just not in the public eye. 

Keeping a deal hush will be incredibly hard. It will rely on absolutely everybody involved in the deal keeping their mouths shut, including mates & family members of the player/agent involved. This has likely leaked from the Palace side to drum up interest, no?

3 minutes ago, HayDen Traces said:

I genuinely dont think we take longer than other clubs, just feels that way as we're closer to the toon.

Go on any fans forums of other clubs and they complain about all the same shit we do

Exactly. 

Scott Wilson saying that CP refusing to budge on their price for Guehi. At least someone else on X is saying that’s what SW says. 

Edited by Ikon