Marc Guehi

gdm

We will have to overpay, yes! But I still think it’ll be worth it. It’s more than a quality player we’re paying for here. Sometimes if you want something in life you might have to pay 20-30% more.  It only is he top quality, but signing him is a statement of intent. The other players will gain more belief with him on the pitch and improve because of it. He’s as guaranteed to succeed as it’s possible. We could be signing another CB for 20m less, but there’s nowhere near the same guarantee that this player will be as good, or close even. Never mind hit the ground running from the off. We could spend 35-40 on a player that doesn’t succeed and/or struggles to settle or doesn’t see his future here long term to the same degree as Guehi most likely will. We talk about keeping players like Isak, Bruno, Gordon and so on. Do you think these players will give us much more time if they don’t see that we are taking major steps forward? They love the club but they won’t wait forever to see if we progress. Signing a player like Guehi will confirm what they signed up for. We have some ridiculously good players in our team as well as some soon to be very very good young players. What we need now is guaranteed quality over quantity. Adding the tiny tiny expensive pieces of quality that just strengthens us properly. There’s a reason that the pool of players that we are looking at is very very small. I know it might sting a bit for some of you. But it’s these last pieces of puddle that really take us to the next level. IF we get him which I think we will I’m sure most of you will soon have forgotten about the massive fee we’ve paid when you realise how much ONE player can add to the team on the whole. Get it done, it’s steep but it’s gonna be worth it. 

17 minutes ago, Ikon said:

We will have to overpay, yes! But I still think it’ll be worth it. It’s more than a quality player we’re paying for here. Sometimes if you want something in life you might have to pay 20-30% more.  It only is he top quality, but signing him is a statement of intent. The other players will gain more belief with him on the pitch and improve because of it. He’s as guaranteed to succeed as it’s possible. We could be signing another CB for 20m less, but there’s nowhere near the same guarantee that this player will be as good, or close even. Never mind hit the ground running from the off. We could spend 35-40 on a player that doesn’t succeed and/or struggles to settle or doesn’t see his future here long term to the same degree as Guehi most likely will. We talk about keeping players like Isak, Bruno, Gordon and so on. Do you think these players will give us much more time if they don’t see that we are taking major steps forward? They love the club but they won’t wait forever to see if we progress. Signing a player like Guehi will confirm what they signed up for. We have some ridiculously good players in our team as well as some soon to be very very good young players. What we need now is guaranteed quality over quantity. Adding the tiny tiny expensive pieces of quality that just strengthens us properly. There’s a reason that the pool of players that we are looking at is very very small. I know it might sting a bit for some of you. But it’s these last pieces of puddle that really take us to the next level. IF we get him which I think we will I’m sure most of you will soon have forgotten about the massive fee we’ve paid when you realise how much ONE player can add to the team on the whole. Get it done, it’s steep but it’s gonna be worth it. 

Fair point, but to be honest I'm good either way.

If we get a player that costs less and that comes in and does well, the current group will still be galvanized by it.

Just looking forward to seeing who we do end up bringing in.

You should break your longer posts up into sections, much easier to read that way.

1 hour ago, pubteam said:

70 million seems like crazy money and palace know it. I'd quite like them to lose him on a free transfers the way they have played this out in the media.

I was thinking that, maybe that thought will sink in with palace in the next couple of days.

Maybe us walking away will cause a reaction from palace 

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I was thinking that, maybe that thought will sink in with palace in the next couple of days.

Maybe us walking away will cause a reaction from palace 

I’d really like him in the team, I think he will bring a lot and will improve the team however £70m even in todays money feels overly expensive. 

There’s got be an alternative if we can’t secure him. 

35 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Holy smokes, that needs some paragraphs 

4 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Holy smokes, that needs some paragraphs 

So I’ve heard. I’m super tired. I was just gonna write something short but it ended up long and I couldn’t be bothered. 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

So I’ve heard. I’m super tired. I was just gonna write something short but it ended up long and I couldn’t be bothered. 

Stream of consciousness writing

You’re the Jack Kerouac of the transfer thread 

I think at this point he not only would bring quality and key attributes we don’t currently have, but also help build some momentum. That will be key in any top 4 push.

7 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Why? Because he had a good EUROs when Harry Maguire got hurt? I don't see him as worth 2x de Ligt.  

No! But because I have seen him play in the PL for many seasons. He has quality. He’s a leader and a good character and has the right mentality. De Ligt is a big name and a massive “talent”. But he failed at Juve and Bayern. U lucky with injuries too at BM. My mates support Juve and they don’t like him that much. 

8 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

The last England international central defender in their prime to move after successful tournament cost £80m.

Yeah, that defender was also Harry Maguire 😂 

This really isn't the response you might think it is. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

No! But because I have seen him play in the PL for many seasons. He has quality. He’s a leader and a good character and has the right mentality. De Ligt is a big name and a massive “talent”. But he failed at Juve and Bayern. U lucky with injuries too at BM. My mates support Juve and they don’t like him that much. 

"for many seasons"? He's played about as many PL games as Bruno G...