Marc Guehi

gdm

in terms of signings under Howe, imo almost all of them have been a success, which I believe is quite rare for most clubs 

most here seemed to be against Gordon signing at the time and quite a few said Isak was too expensive 

maybe I'm overly optimistic but I reckon this will prove to be another great signing 

I'm sure signing Guehi will improve us, it's whether it will improve us enough to get us back into Europe this season. No europe again will mean a lot of changes at the club and a lot of them we won't like.

11 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Continue to embrace failure and not winning fuck all since 1969, hope it makes you happy.

We only demand a club that tries writ large and proud here folks. Had it ever occured to you that other teams also have a say in how these things play out? 

15 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

If this was true we would have won something and would be in Europe this season. Harsh maybe but true nevertheless.

It's less than 3 years since Steve Bruce had us at the foot of the league, free falling towards relegation, with the club having no plans, no hope, and no ambition. 

Your post isn't harsh, it's clueless. 

18 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

For the price reported, he'll need to be pretty much world class from the start and imo he's not at that level. Whether there will be any money left over to buy a new RW seems doubtful as well. Hope for once the club knows what it's doing.

So in your opinion the club didn't know what it was doing when they signed Trippier, Bruno, Isak and Gordon? You don't think they've proven to be quite astute signings?

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If you’re at the point where you think the club has made countless blunders in the last few years then just give up following the sport. How negative do you have to be to come in with that attitude after the last two years and a bit

It seems to be realism, as they are realists. Well, that is what they will tell you.

what I hate most about fans of other clubs such as MU, Liverpool etc is their sense of entitlement 

unfortunately it seems a lot of Newcastle fans are no different 

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

It's less than 3 years since Steve Bruce had us at the foot of the league, free falling towards relegation, with the club having no plans, no hope, and no ambition. 

That you embracing failure again?

7 minutes ago, Ginola14 said:

in terms of signings under Howe, imo almost all of them have been a success, which I believe is quite rare for most clubs 

most here seemed to be against Gordon signing at the time and quite a few said Isak was too expensive 

maybe I'm overly optimistic but I reckon this will prove to be another great signing 

This is spot on, and hopefully if it happens he is a big success. Although I was very pro Anthony Gordon, and in the minority, I did feel Isak was too expensive and wanted us to sign Joao Pedro instead.

I wish we were doing all this in private, and SSN, the mail and the athletic weren’t all over it. CP are a horrid club to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

I'm not talking about the last 3 years, but about the last 55 but you knew that.

I get that there is a line to be walked between demanding more, and just being happy we're not utter shite anymore. Personally I'm still at the point where I appreciate starting the seasons not scanning the fixtures wondering where 38 points are going to come from.  I know this likely will change the more time passes, and clearly has already for some people (more power to them), but it's still where I'm at. 

7 minutes ago, Harry 209 said:

So in your opinion the club didn't know what it was doing when they signed Trippier, Bruno, Isak and Gordon? You don't think they've proven to be quite astute signings?

Good signings for sure. When we win something we can happily say the club knows/knew what they were doing, until then we can only hope they do.

2 hours ago, Harry 209 said:

Nowadays you don't just have to worry about the performance of your team on the pitch -if you make massive signings like this, you then have a whole new world of worry about whether your commercial operations are making enough money off the pitch to stop you getting points deductions.

No excuse for DH Gate anymore if this goes through, everyone must do their bit.

20240816_115414.thumb.jpg.90004c5bdc31b521058f4b8182fdf9a8.jpgPutting my money where my mouth is. Everyone's a soldier in the battle against PSR now. Club shop and Stack chockablock now, keep it up lads.

6 minutes ago, Ikon said:

How much did VVD cost Liverpool ages ago? I remember most people thinking it was a batshit crazy price at the time. 

VVD turned out to be world class and transformed Liverpool helping them win the league and champions league.  Hopefully Guehi will do the same for us......

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I’m keeping my FFP/PSR posts to that thread but I will say that we don’t have the revenue to tank 100m+ net spend summers at this point

We dont have revenue that i know of to tank 100m+net spend summer at this point.

I think you need to restructure your sentence to that.

1 minute ago, Away Toon said:

VVD turned out to be world class and transformed Liverpool helping them win the league and champions league.  Hopefully Guehi will do the same for us......

Exactly, i know. But at the time people were like 😬😱

3 minutes ago, Harry 209 said:

20240816_115414.thumb.jpg.90004c5bdc31b521058f4b8182fdf9a8.jpgPutting my money where my mouth is. Everyone's a soldier in the battle against PSR now. Club shop and Stack chockablock now, keep it up lads.

Just ordering the sweatshirt and the 3rd kit.

DHGate scabs, do your bit, you’ve got two kidneys, sell one to buy the kit.

10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

How much did VVD cost Liverpool ages ago? I remember most people thinking it was a batshit crazy price at the time. 

Living in Leicester with no newcastle supporters - I remember everyone acting in disbelief, some laughing at me (in fun of course, banter) when we bought Isak, now the local Arsenal press rsn a story a few weeks back saying we're arrogant and selfish for standing in his way and not letting him have his move to Arsenal.

16 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

I'm sure signing Guehi will improve us, it's whether it will improve us enough to get us back into Europe this season. No europe again will mean a lot of changes at the club and a lot of them we won't like.

We’d get into Europe with no signings. 

There are no guarantees though are there. It's nonsense to say "make every correct decision and trophies are a given, and if we don't win a trophy it's because of the wrong decisions". All you can reasonably judge progress on is if we're getting closer to winning things, which given we've been in a final and back in the champions league in the last 2 seasons we clearly are

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We’d get into Europe with no signings. 

Easy to say. But it depends on injuries. Guehi added makes a big difference to the overall quality/depth. How it makes us much less vulnerable in this area if we suffer injuries at CB. Even more than we already have there. Also takes us up a level. Not just defensively but also in the build up when in possession. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, LiquidAK said:

There are no guarantees though are there. It's nonsense to say "make every correct decision and trophies are a given, and if we don't win a trophy it's because of the wrong decisions". All you can reasonably judge progress on is if we're getting closer to winning things, which given we've been in a final and back in the champions league in the last 2 seasons we clearly are

Winning things has a load of luck involved, maybe with the exception of the league. I personally care much more about the process and whether I feel we’re moving in the right direction.